Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique: Alex Rodriguez HS

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
Wanted to toss up a thread to get a critique on my portfolio before I leave for GDC on Saturday. Overall goal I am aiming for is a weapon/vehicle position with a focus on Hard Surface

Portfolio: Portfolio

Going to continue to work more on the KA-52 tomorrow but unlikely will be able to finish the frame. Thus far all of the piece I have in place are done (blocked in), I have 3 other armaments done just need to spend more time tomorrow setting up the renders to showcase the WIP (will be doing the inside cockpit/rotor pre-gdc and if people would like some detail in the compartments).

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    if i click on the image of the machine, it first dosnt bring me to the picture i clicked on, then it opens with a dithered loading sequence (loading low res, then going higher in res) (i guess thats website default, save smaller JPGs maybe) AND there is a white blending transition slideshow effect on top, making it very painful to go through your images

your assets look good but there seems to be an issue with edges, the weapon seems mostly too sharp and the machine overly soft, making the metal part look like plastic, although the gloss / reflectivity values seem just a bit off too. Some polys at certain points would also have helped, it could as well look flawless for a maybe 15% increase
    Portfolio looks clean and everything has a place, maybe a nicer font for your name would
    push it a bit , or use bold and thin variations. Hope that helps
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shrike ill see if I can remove that slideshow effect and make my name pop. Odd it loads a low res image and not the right one, it loads the right one for me and a high res after a seconf or two.

Thanks for the edges comment ill try keep consistent on my current project. My attempt was to have the jigsaw laying on a table in cg scene so the edges are beefy for a distance shot. As for the AR it was all upclose so edges were more tighter. Didnt have much baking problems but ill find that middle ground for metal pieces.

I still want to do a 3rd texture pass on both finnished projects ill mess with the gloss. Will put rest day on heli and see how far i can get it
  • Protar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alex! Quite impressive portfolio! Everything I could say was said already by Shrike. Maybe one thing. The portfolio page looks good and well organized and structured. But I dislike the nearly unformatted Resume page.

This could maybe deliver the wrong message to people who possibly want to hire you somewhen. It looks a bit like you only pay attention to the stuff you like to do, if that makes sense for you.

Absolutely not meant as an offense. Maybe it´s then just because english isn´t my mother tongue. :) Great works anyway!! I´m kinda jealous.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the resume was actually the one i been using the past year but ill try a new format thanks. Haha thanks was a great year last year and few months in 2015 getting started on my carreer in 3d. I also have a environment imma show as a want to see more, as it still wip. Showing heli as i an looking for a vehicle position aswell
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Great folio,
    It always loads the pic I clicked on,
    If it hasn't fully loaded, it loads with interlacing, which I always prefer to waiting to a blank page while waiting so keep it. Great work
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work Alex!
    I would consider removing the heli until you're finished with the high poly, at the least.
    Maybe its just me, but unfinished models always look bad on portfolios.
    Also, you should probably darken that pure-white background. Its too harsh.

Other than that, good luck and have fun at GDC!
    It's like a 10 hour flight for me, so no chance I'm going to be there. ;[
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright ill use a lighter gray almost white background color so it not pure whit, ill remove the heli as ill just be using my tablet to showcase my work, I still have the scene not in there just wanted to say "Yes, I do have a vehicle"

Wanted to get it done but the blueprints were crap so been fixing issue caused by it but oh well least ill have 2 pieces. As for GDC cya there, you can spot me by my badge so come and say Hi
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the transition effect and added a bold to my name, didn't get to the resume page as I had to pack/get ready for tomorrow. I removed the KA-52 and just kept the 2 finished pieces