Home Unreal Engine

UE4 Crashing on Reimport of Static Mesh

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Stosh polycounter lvl 4
Having this problem of UE4 crashing every time I try to reimport a static mesh I updated in Maya. I go and hit reimport on the static mesh in the UE4 Content Browser and UE4 immediately crashes. I know this model is nowhere near as complex as other models I've imported into UE4. I'm currently using 4.6.1 version of UE4. Just trying to progress with my Throne Room and bring new things into UE4, but it seems to hate the reimport for some reason. :poly127:

EDITED: Sort of figured out the root of the problem and have a work around. It seems UE4 doesn't like the Mirror Geometry tool used in Maya. I used Duplicate Special instead of Mirror Geometry and UE4 had no problems at all. Anyone know why this is?

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It most likely has something to do with how the mesh vertices were stored in the model file, and UE4 choking on some bad data. I think I ran into something similar once, but I cannot remember exactly what it was, other than baking out to OBJ or something, then re-exporting that as an FBX fixed it.