Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Printed Viking

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm working on a character that my buddy and I hope to get 3D printed. Here's the concept: a8KenqQ.jpg

And here's my current progress: kKQP8ZC.jpg

I wanna get his anatomy down before I move onto his armor and clothing. Feedback is greatly appreciated as always guys. Let me know if you see something off :)

Replies

• SeveredScion
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    I love the concept. Super fun and striking.

The general proportions on the sculpt look good but it looks a bit lumpy. The planes and individual forms aren't as defined as in the concept. Most noticeable on the thighs and torso (though his torso's not visible in the concept so that may not matter). On his thighs, the division between his quads and adductors looks weird. The front of his shin where it flows into his ankle looks kind of pinched and pulled forward, it needs to be flatter, I think.

You could probably push the exaggeration even more. Looking at the concept, his upper arm looks wider than his head. On your sculpt, his upper arm looks not quite as wide as his head. The spiraly parts at the end of his moustache are more elongated and more angled in the concept - in yours they're rounder and more square rather than rectangular. I guess it's up to you how literally you want to translate the concept or how much creative liberties you want to take with it.

I like his head in the sculpt. You kept that ridiculous exaggeration from the concept.

Who's the artist of the concept?
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SeveredScion, thanks! I'll definitely look into defining everything a little better, and taking another look at his legs.

I'm hoping to get as close to the concept as I can, barring anything I deem would be too hard to print successfully, such as really thin geometry.

My buddy Chris Ewald is the concept artist, I think he recently updated his portfolio: http://chrisewald.carbonmade.com

Thanks again!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little update. Probably another pass on the body before I move on to the clothing. I polished some stuff and smoothed stuff out.
    O78cFHV.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Been away from this guy for a bit working on a set for the Dota 2 Community Chest. But now I'm back to working on him and finishing him up!
    2d24V6q.jpg
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd post the final here. Looking to get him printed in resin, so if anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears :)

fGG3pvJ.jpg
    em7Wd9t.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking rad Scott! Excited to see some shots of the print :D
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Nice char man, hope you can print it without problem.

What's the final size ?
  • SeveredScion
    Offline / Send Message
    SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
    I somehow missed the updates here for a while. I like the revised muscle definition way better! Guess it doesn't matter much since he's mostly covered up though. nice work overall!
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Excited to see the prints of this guy man, think it turned out pretty good!