Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

futuristic racing jet or something

Bummer6
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
This is my first attempt at hard surface modelling in maya, so I'm keeping it pretty simple. I would have liked to make panel lines on the fuselage to make it a bit more realistic, but I honestly don't know how to build that into the geometry without ruining the shape of it. I'm considering just making a heightmap with the panel lines and bake that into the final normal map for the low poly. Any constructive criticism is of course welcome!
bunnyboymk2.png
jetback1.png
problem.png

Replies

• Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please tell me there's a better way to do this. I've been trying to make ailerons for the wings, but I get pinching and stuff in the corners and it just looks like crap in general.
    aileronshelp.png
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    why don't you make the ailerons a separate mesh instead of trying to model it into the wing?
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom wrote: »
    why don't you make the ailerons a separate mesh instead of trying to model it into the wing?

They are separate, but I still need support edges to tighten up the corners.
    pinching.png
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another area with the same pinching problem. It's not very noticable, so if I don't get any replies I'm just going to ignore it. It feels like I'm missing something simple though. I guess I'll keep digging through the "how to model dem shapes" thread until I find something I can use to solve this issue.
    morepinching.png
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like you would need a higher overall density, to make dem shapes
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man! For the pinching problem, wouldn't you just need a couple extra support loops at the sides, or have you left it like that intentionally?

T4RKz6g.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 wrote: »
    Looking good man! For the pinching problem, wouldn't you just need a couple extra support loops at the sides, or have you left it like that intentionally?

T4RKz6g.jpg

I removed those because it actually made the problem about 10 times worse. :/

@Spoon - You may be right, but at this point, isn't it too late to start adding more geo? Wouldn't I basically have to rebuild the whole thing?
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did my first test bake on the my low poly mesh. Again, I am a complete noob to this kind of modelling, so naturally I'll encounter stupid problems that any one of you could have avoided with ease. Anyway, the three main problems I had with the bake were:

The canopy. I think I should have cut the edges around that area in the UV map and made those normals hard instead of soft. I'll try that tomorrow.
    problemnumber1.png

The area between the air intake and the body. I think this problem is caused by my envelope overlapping itself. Again, I'll try another bake tomorrow to see if I'm right.
    problemnumber2.png
    And finally, the detail around the canopy. The detail looks really wonky from certain angles. I don't think this is a problem that can be easily fixed without adding more geo to the model, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    problemnumber3.png

That's all. Advice is as always more than welcome since I'm still learning.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with the diffuse now. Just going to add a specular, then I'm calling it done. I might make the blue a bit brighter though. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

bunny8.png
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it done for now! I learned a ton during this little project and it turned out better than I thought.

beautyshot.jpg
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    A lot of your complexity is at the back, you might wanna consider a composition that shows off the rear instead dude?