Home General Discussion

Polycount artwall suggestion

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
i enjoy seeing wips but i hate having to browse trough every single topic to see if its something relevant to my interest.

I`d love to see some sort of smart artwall that parses topics inside of the showcase forums

it would work something like this
for each topic inside of the showcase forums (keeps loading more if you keep scrolling down)
readout topic , find last post by topic starter and integrate the first image found into the artwall with the name of the poster and an onclick command that opens the topic inside a new tab

this could give a lot more exposure to artwork that sometimes goes by unnoticed

something like this but sexier

4zgnXq3.png

kind of like what zbc has (just remembered) http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbcinfinite.php but way less cluttered and simple
no interaction on the page itself so you have incentive to actually check out the topic itself

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    It would be great indeed!
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Yup, nice idea
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Yesyeeess, support this idea :)
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds good!

However I would prefer it if you could upload a custom image to display in this example The Order 1886 has a picture of how he did something and not the awesome art inside which I feel is the main reason why someone would be viewing that thread.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Great idea, +1
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.conceptroot.com/concept-art-polycount-feed/ Already does this! Although it would be nice to see multiple images next to each other like in your example instead of a single image at a time.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thats pretty cool. it would be great to have it integrated in polycount itself though

Robeomega: Not really , the title pretty much says what it is so i just want to see if theres something new posted that i havent seen yet.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    The downside of something like this is that users are less likely to open threads with beginner art and provide help.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Alec, why would that be the case ? Someone willing to give feedback to beginners would not be deterred by a thumbnail looking like beginner's work, quite the opposite.

The only persons who might not not click such threads are the ones who only come here to see "top row cool stuff", and these readers/lurkers would not comment constructively in beginners threads anyways ...
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I suppose that is true. My concern is that beginner content will just be rapidly buried like it is on portfolio sites. Places like artstation have so much nice art being submitted, things that don't stand out in a thumbnail get lost quickly. I guess artstation and similar sites serve a different purpose so that may not happen here.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Does PC have any means of doing analytics?

It might be worth implementing it and seeing if there's a marked decline in posts in non-rockstar threads.

If it turns out your theory is right then they can just revert back.
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    I think it is a great idea indeed but on the other hand I'm with Alec.

I think it would be cool to have something to mark the threads with multiple flags like "WIP", "critique requested", "art dump" or "showcase" which are displayed next to the thread name or below the picture.

I'm not a web dev by an means so I have no idea how feasible it would be, just thinking about something that would make threads in which crits are highly appreciated make stand out a bit more (and not getting buried in tons of thumbnails) so you can easily differentiate what thread is just showing of and what thread is used to show the progress on something.

I don't know really, just throwing around ideas here. :D
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I suppose that is true. My concern is that beginner content will just be rapidly buried like it is on portfolio sites. Places like artstation have so much nice art being submitted, things that don't stand out in a thumbnail get lost quickly. I guess artstation and similar sites serve a different purpose so that may not happen here.

This already happens here on PC, I'm sure most have seen the polycount graph gif :(
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alec that wouldnt be the case though since it doesnt rely on topic replies or ratings , just on new images being posted by the original poster.

Now i just dont bother clicking anything unless the topic gets linked on places like FB (unless its techtalk or something like that i usually check that)
    and those linked posts are usually the "omg so good" artworks.
    So an imagewall like this would show everything much more clearly and would be more of a trigger for someone to react. i might not respond the first time i see a wip but if i keep seeing updates from someone in that feed and i see something i might be able to help with i`d probably respond to it
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would definitely like to see something like this or similar on Polycount.