Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Michelin Starcross MS3

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,

Threw together a quick little project over the past few days to feel out UE4 and get some modeling, baking, and shading practice. Back in my day of motocross and racing, this was my rear tire of choice; not that that has anything to do with the art haha. All feedback is appreciated!

Reference image
tire_ref_01.jpg

Started by building 1/16th of the high and low mesh
tire_section_01.jpg

Duplicated it around and merged it all together
tire_low_01.jpg

Normal and occlusion maps
tire_maps_01.jpg

Unreal material
tire_mat_01.jpg

Unreal editor preview
tire_ue_01.jpg

tire_ue_02.jpg

Replies

• avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like I need to tweak some more in UE's material editor. I'm getting a better result in the 3ds Max viewport. If anyone can give me some advice to get a closer match to the 3ds viewport, it would be greatly appreciated.

3ds Max viewport screen grab
    tire_3ds_01.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    make your roughness map or color darker and you get about the same as in 3DS
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    make your roughness map or color darker and you get about the same as in 3DS

Thanks. That is what I was thinking as well. I might add just a bit of noise to the roughness as well.

I think part of it is also how the different shaders are previewing the occlusion map.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Also, if you want to actually match your reference material, you'll want to set up a similar environment in Max and or Unreal.

Its hard to match materials when you have completely different lighting setups between reference and what you're actually viewing.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    Also, if you want to actually match your reference material, you'll want to set up a similar environment in Max and or Unreal.

Its hard to match materials when you have completely different lighting setups between reference and what you're actually viewing.

Thanks, totally agree. Maybe some sort of studio lighting setup.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a bit more playing around with this asset, but this time in Substance Designer with a spec/gloss workflow and an HDR image without color.

tire_sd_01.jpg

tire_sd_node_01.jpg