Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Error 8800: Whenever applying materials?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
phixel polycounter lvl 7
Hi I purchased a copy of the Quixel suite a while back and am now in the process of learning how to use it.

I spent a lot of time creating clean high & low poly models to ensure I have clean bakes for my input maps. However, I encounter an error every time i try to apply a material to my model.

-Error: 8800: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.
-Could not complete the Unsharp Mask command because the selected area is empty.
Line: 26458
-> propDoc.activeLayer.applyUnSharpMask(256,0.3,0);

After getting this error, Quixel seems to either completly abort trying to apply the selected material or simply applies part of the material as it does not look at all what is depicted on the material swatch. I also tried loading up the sample project of the Ddo Helmet to see if I might be doing something wrong seeing as I am just learning the software. All maps load correctly, but if I try to change or apply a new material I get the same error.

I have tried searching online for anything relating to this problem but have so far been unsuccessful. I am running Photoshop CS6 x64, tried disabling my virus scan software, running as administrator etc... but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• phixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phixel polycounter lvl 7
    So I seem to have solved my problem, though I'm not sure exactly what it was that did the trick.

I read through the troubleshooting guide again and tried various suggestions before restarting my computer and trying to load the Suite:

-Added an exception with my virus scan software for Suite.exe

- Right clicked on both photoshop & Quixel suite icons and changed some settings, making sure that both packages were being run with administrator privileges, as well as being set up to run with my version of windows.

-Reset Photoshop preferences by holding CTRL + ALT +SHIFT as it was booting up.

-I then opened Photoshop and manually treaked some of the preferences; Increased the amount of drivespace allotted to "scratch space" reduced the number of undos (History States) photoshop stores.

Hopefully anyone who reads this and may be experiencing similar problems can benefit from the above mentioned "potential fixes".

Cheers
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

Great that you got it solved and thank you very much for reporting what you did that really helps!!
  • RobH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobH2 polycounter lvl 4
    I'm sorry to report that the fix suggested by 'phixel' did not solve my issue. DDO has been unusable for me since I purchased it two months ago. Every time I try to create the Base after loading my mesh and ID's I get an Error and Crash:

Error 8800: General Photoshop error occurred. -The object "red channel of merged layer of document "Input_Color.png""is not currently available. Line:19867

That is in fact the name of my png file. It is good and it has good channels. I'm actually loading the .tga that I baked out from Max. I think DDO is creating the .png and is somehow corrupting it on its own.

I wish there was a fix. I'd sure like to use this piece of software....I think....

Unfortunately, I only know it from tutorials. I've never had the pleasure of actually doing anything with it since it crashes.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robh2 - Have you tried to convert your Color ID file to a flattened png file without transparency?
    That usually takes care of issues like this. Also, have you tried the sample projects from the WIKI:
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddo_samples
    Just to see if that works!
  • RobH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobH2 polycounter lvl 4
    Eric, thanks for the tip. So far this seems to be helping. I'll report back if things start to malfunction again.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great news! Thanks for keeping me updated!
  • RobH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobH2 polycounter lvl 4
    Unfortunately Eric it's back. After my post above I was able to get one test project done and was encouraged. Then I went to duplicate what I had done on a real project and the crash 8800 started again. I used .pngs,.tgas,.tifs,.psds and none of them prevented it. I used the default size of 1024 and 100 scaling on the workspace. I rebooted, re-exported all files, made sure everything was up to snuff, clean and flat with no alphas or extra channels. No go!

Now, every time I try to create a Base I crash. I've rebooted twice. I've even upgraded my video adapter from an NVidia Quadro 4000 to an NVidia K5200. So I'm running a different card and drivers so that's not it. I've run MemTest86 on my ram (the long test) overnight and had zero errors. I have new SSD Hard Drives. My system is clean and tight.

It's frustrating but I think you have a serious bug in this suite. I have only gotten two test projects out of it and no real ones since I bought it over two months ago. I hope you guys can narrow it down and fix it.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobH2 - aww so close! When you say test project, do you mean the official ones from the quixel wiki? or did you make your own test projects?

Just to make sure I understand it 100%, its not the same inputs that worked before and is now crashing, its two entirely different projects?
  • RobH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobH2 polycounter lvl 4
    My own test project, a shader ball. I'm wanting to use a shader ball to replicate shaders from DDo (as seen in 3Do) in 3ds Max, tweak the workflow and materials and try to get something that is reliable over and over without having to do much tweaking initially. I'm trying...well wanting to build a VRaymtl with all of the wiring, CC nodes, etc., that will faithfully wire DDo output to a VRaymtl and get a similar look.

So, I have this good shader ball that I exported as an .obj. It is manifold and error free. I then created a material ID file, .png (no channels or alpha), an AO file and a normal file. There is really no normal info as it's smooth and not lo-poly baked to hi-poly, but I've found that DDo crashes if you don't put something in the Normal map slot.

I can provide the test assets I've been using if you want to see if you can open it and if it crashes your system. I've zipped it. I'm not sure if I can attach it here but will try...(No, it doesn't appear I can attache a .zip). PM me and I'll provide a Dropbox link to a fie.
  • Eric Ramberg