Home General Discussion

Anyone listening to "serial" ?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
PeterK greentooth
Anyone here listening to "serial" ?

If not, I HIGHLY recommend it:

http://serialpodcast.org/

it's a very interesting case, and I actually happen to be local to it.

local guy got arrested for killing his girlfriend. He was in high school at the time and they really just ran him over based on the testimony of a guy who claimed he helped bury her after the fact. It's an amazing thing to to listen to.

Replies

• MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Oh that sounds interesting, I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing. What I don't get is whether or not the stories are real (or based on real stories)?
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    MiAlx wrote: »
    Oh that sounds interesting, I will give it a try. Thanks for sharing. What I don't get is whether or not the stories are real (or based on real stories)?

It's a real story, in fact they just recently got Adnan (the guy who got convicted for the murder) an appeal or something, so there's still a little hope for him.

Great podcast though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    MiAlx wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about this reading the descriptions on the website too. The cases are evidently real but it sounds like there's some dramatisation involved. What form does this actually take?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    no. it's a real case. Really good. listened to the whole thing the other week.

So its basically this woman going around, interviewing whoever she can, trying to piece togetehr what actually happened. Talks to the dude convicted and everything. Really makes you wonder what actually happened. sometimes you`ll think he did it. sometimes you`ll think it was his friend.

Very well done. Cant wait for season 2, which i believe follows a different story?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I liked it.

I left confused about the reality of the events.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    yea, it's real. Like I said it happened right around here, I know all of the places they are talking about in the podcast. it's a very difficult case to wrap your head around, somewhat unnerving actually.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    I listened to the first episode and had to stop after that - it's a story well-told, but I just feel this incredible wave of despair at how incredibly broken the American criminal justice system is, and the attendant helplessness to do anything about it.
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    I wanted to like it but it felt like a lot of "he said, she said" and in the end nothing was resolved and nothing really changed. Could still be him, could be someone else. Nothing in the podcast makes me think he's innocent beyond reasonable doubt. So to me, it felt like a lot of words for nothing.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    PollySong wrote: »
    I wanted to like it but it felt like a lot of "he said, she said" and in the end nothing was resolved and nothing really changed. Could still be him, could be someone else. Nothing in the podcast makes me think he's innocent beyond reasonable doubt. So to me, it felt like a lot of words for nothing.
    I think that's kind of the point honestly. That's what makes it actually an interesting story, because there is no nice resolution tied up in a bow. We're just left to guess.

It can be kind of frustrating though. I would really love a definitive answer. But yeah, it's a good podcast.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I listen to a lot of NPR podcasts but Serial is one I can't seem to get in to. I think it has to do with the long-form format of the show. I prefer the smaller form shows like Radiolab and This American Life, where each episode is on a completely new topic. Also, I wasn't interested in the the story in Serial. It's a essentially a murder mystery, and I prefer podcasts where I'm learning something - science, history, art, etc.

Dustin, I actually have a friend who said he can't get into Radiolab because of their sound design, especially with their opening. It was kind of humorous. And he's a medical student, so you'd think he's predisposed to some degree to appreciate the show.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustin, you have any other recommendations? I got This American Life, Planet Money, Radiolab, and Invisbilia lined up but not sure what else may be good.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Snap Judgment, it's along the same line as This American Life or Radiolab and is guaranteed to annoy your friend with its sound design.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 17
    If you like Radiolab you'll probably also enjoy 99% Invisible.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this was really good. Read the other day as well that they reopened the case because of the podcast.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-adnan-syed-appeal-granted-20150207-story.html
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I'm also local. It was pretty cool to listen to (although never finish it), but started to get kinda convoluted/ranting towards the later episodes I listened too. And yeah they reopened the case which is really cool. Definitely alot of reasons why they should if you listen!
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Yusssssssssss

Best thing I've ever listened to. Incredible amounts of info and insanely captivating in the way he presents it. Currently doing a very long series about WW1, but his series on the Mongols is what everyone recommends listening to first and it indeed kicks ass.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would commit to History of Rome if he wasn't so monotone T_T Does he get less monotone later?

Lol, about that sound design . . .