Home General Discussion

3D Artist Job Searching Questions

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
TomGT polycounter
Hey everyone!

I'm preparing myself to start job searching within a few months and I have a few questions which I hope the Polycount community can help answer. I intend to work as a 3D artist, preferably a character artist though I hear creating props and animation might be a better way to break into the game/movie industry.

So here we go:

- Do you apply for jobs you are under qualified for?
Say for example the job requires 1-2 years experience. I have zero professional work experience with a degree, a few internships and awards. Can a strong portfolio possibly make up for it as a 3D artist? Or will the employer most likely dismiss my folio without the required experience?

- How often do studios (more specifically those in America) hire 3D artists from overseas?
Again will a strong portfolio possibly convince a studio to do so?

- Do environment artists or animators carry over skills to eventually work as a character artist?

- Should you apply to multiple positions in the same company at once?

- How many months should I wait before I apply to the same company that rejected me?
My take on this is, as long as it takes to revamp your portfolio.

- For a game studio, should I include game modding inside my list of skills/others?

I made a mod that was highlighted by the game's youtube channel not too long ago. Though I used in-game models, I practically coded,game-designed, balanced etc all of it myself. Does this add to the 'enthusiastic about video games' criteria on most job criteria? Should I show this to companies that are not related to the game I modded for?

Phew, that was a hefty amount of text. Hope you guys can answer some of these. Any sort of insight is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yes. 1-2 years really isn't much, if you have a good portfolio this requirement is moot.

- How often do studios (more specifically those in America) hire 3D artists from overseas?
    Only when you have a degree of at least 3 years and multiple years exp, say 3-4 or so.

- Do environment artists or animators carry over skills to eventually work as a character artist?
    Yes it's possible, I know a few people that did this. You gotta be lucky but also have the skills for it. Though going from animator to Character artists is a bit strange.

Don't see the problem, but rather than send multiple applications, you could do one where you don't specify the job.
    - How many months should I wait before I apply to the same company that rejected me?
    Yeah until you are sure you have improved why they didn't want you (if that's the reason they rejected), or just when a new position opens up.

- For a game studio, should I include game modding inside my list of skills/others?

Yes. As long as it's not absolutely terrible work that is.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Yes. 1-2 years really isn't much, if you have a good portfolio this requirement is moot.

Only when you have a degree of at least 3 years and multiple years exp, say 3-4 or so.

Yes it's possible, I know a few people that did this. You gotta be lucky but also have the skills for it. Though going from animator to Character artists is a bit strange.

Don't see the problem, but rather than send multiple applications, you could do one where you don't specify the job.
    Yeah until you are sure you have improved why they didn't want you (if that's the reason they rejected), or just when a new position opens up.

Yes. As long as it's not absolutely terrible work that is.

Thanks Xoliul! That was a very straightforward answer. I suppose it is a little weird for an animator to go for a character art position. From what I've read the case is as an animator you'll be working with character artists more than an environment artist.

Its good to know 1-2 years is moot. I was slightly under the impression it was a strict requirement.