Home General Discussion

Interview Question: What Games Are You Playing

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
I'm about to apply for a job and one of the questions asked is

"What games are you currently playing?"

other then hopefully being able to list a game or two from that studio is there anything that should be said or explained? What if you have played there game but never really got into it?

the question is really general and is throwing me off for some reason

Replies

• Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    If I were answering that question, I'd mention a couple of table top games. That way they'd think I was a hardcore aficionado who functions well in social environments.

Then I'd try to pick a few titles that represent the best of some aspect of game development:

Dragon Age: Inquisition, Borderlands 2: Writing, Characters
    Some Super Mario Game on Handheld: Gameplay, Game Design
    Some off the wall indy game: To demonstrate my passion for games.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I don`t think you have to list a game they worked on, might backfire on you.

Be honest, you`re over-thinking it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    +1 Lamont. Yeah just be honest. That's usually the best approach with interview questions.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Pancakes wrote: »
    If I were answering that question, I'd mention a couple of table top games. That way they'd think I was a hardcore aficionado who functions well in social environments.

Then I'd try to pick a few titles that represent the best of some aspect of game development:

Damn this is so contrived and overthought.

Just be honest. And since you're in an interview try to avoid being negative. If you're gonna say something about the game, say "I really enjoyed ______ about it." Not "I hated....".
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Pancakes wrote: »

so weird
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Be honest? Just tell them the games that you're playing them, lol.

They're just trying to get a sense for what games you like.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, you're thinking too much about this. If someone asks you what games you enjoy, just straight up tell them. Chances are this is not some loaded trick question.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    When asked what games you are playing, tell them what games you're playing. C'mon.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hah I agree with the "just say what you're playing".

The number one piece of advice I've heard over and over again when I was asking for interview advice is "DON'T LIE!!"

Seriously. Trying to play mind games with the interviewer is I duno.. Just list what you like to play. If the interviewer likes the same games, you can have a actual discussion about what you like and what you don't like.

There have been multiple times where the interviewer(s) have asked me to add what I liked/did not like about a game I listed. Trying to bullshit some answers would have led me into some hot water quick.

Edit: Take a listen to this, there is some great info here about interviews. It is definitely my favorite podcast for pure games industry information.

http://gim.acanaday.com/?p=170
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was never planning on lieing, I was more curious if they wanted more out of an answer
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Interview questions can often just be a conversation starter, maybe they just want to see more of your personality or to get to know you better, see how you'll interact with the rest of the time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They will likely ask you why you like the games that you list, so it'd be worth having a bit of a think about some moderately intelligent analysis. If you're going for an art position, maybe pick out a few things that were particularly nice on either an artistic or technical level.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The worst thing to do in an interview is to lie.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I tell the truth "I'm kind of falling out of games, I mostly play weird indie games now" hasn't been a problem
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I work at a studio that worked on Call of Duty, and when I interviewed and did a post hire type biography thing, I listed Battlefield as one of my favorite games knowing that (was being brutally honest). Just saying, everyone thought it was more amusing/honest than anything. Guess that could definitely go both ways. +1 to everything everyone else said.

We are all gamers too, and most play competitor's games in both ways to find out what others are doing and simply because they're also awesome.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I tell the truth "I'm kind of falling out of games, I mostly play weird indie games now" hasn't been a problem

I don't see that being an issue unless it's something like "I exclusively play Japanese dating sims"
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    ZacD wrote: »
    I don't see that being an issue unless it's something like "I exclusively play Japanese dating sims"
    Shit, do you think the reason why studios won't hire me is because I only play Katawa Shoujo?
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    I suspect the question is mostly to break the ice, and perhaps get you to chat less formally so they can get a feel for your personality. I doubt there's one right answer.