Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: DDO Cavity Generation

I was wondering if there's a way to preview the curvature map that DDO generates. I'm looking to replicate the same exact steps DDO follows to create this map but I've been unable to achieve the same result so far.

I've already tried using the cavity/curvature map converter in NDO but the result still isn't the same as when DDO generates it on its own.

The documentation only suggests creating curvature from AO but doesn't go into detail about the exact steps that the software follows. Ty!

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Hi!
    The easiest way would be to go in to the Dynamask editor, select the [CURVATURE] preset, and save the dynamask PSD as a TGA/PNG or the like. Hope this helps :)
  • tach
    Thanks for the reply! I tried that but the result still doesn't match what DDO does on its own with just a tangent normal map. I used the dynamask PSD as suggested (also tried all the individual curvature layers found there) and none of them worked the same when loaded as input maps.
  • Martin7
    Not sure if that's what you're looking for but here's the process to create curvature map from tangent normals. The result looks very similar to what ddo generates as curvature mask from normals tangent input.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=3010.0
  • tach
    Thanks for the link! I'm aware of how to manually convert or bake curvature maps for regular texturing. NDO does a good job at that too. My goal however is to find a way to preview the exact curvature map that DDO generates.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    At last have a time to visit a forum!:poly124:

Easiest way is like Eric said use B]curvature[/B preset but disable all sliders except B]sharp[/B.
    Another is to create it like DDO is.

1. Make two copy of your base normal map layer.
    2. Invert it both.
    3. Show on first layer only Red channel and on second one only Green channel.
    4. Apply to both layers LinearLight 50% opacity.
    5. Move top layer 1px up and left and second layer 1px up.
    6. Merge all (with base normal layer).
    7. Apply Monochrome Channel Mixer R:100 G:100 B:0 and Constant: -50.

And here you have DDOs curvature. Dont forget to disable Quality Curvature checkbox when creating/recreating project in DDO with that map in Curvature slot to have same result as only TSNM use.

(I hope that action is not such a big secret:poly136: if not feel free to delete my post. Teddy is Photoshop genius indeed :thumbup:)

But personally i prefer to use only TSNM without curvature and for High poly models I use Smart Blur OSNM method to create edges on TSNM, like in a Features.
  • tach
    Thanks! Unfortunately I can confirm that the [sharp] layer does NOT match DDO's own result when reloaded as an input map. Nor with quality curvature enabled or disabled.

I noticed that the [sharp] layer from DDO however closely matches the curvature result from NDO. Which leads me to think that DDO uses the same method to create curvature from tangent space normal maps as NDO (?). Could you confirm that Eric?

Also I was unable to reproduce the actiondescribed above. Could you PM me the action file by any chance?
  • bfg900
    I found the Quality curvature option in the project settings manu. There is no information in the Quixel site about that.
    But I found that turning it off helps to use the baked curvature from xNormal.
    Since it is the highpoly model I mentioned I'd like to find a solution fast.
    Of course the

This is the baked curvature:
    ex_puska_alap_curvature_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

And this is the result:
    ddo_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Top image: with Quality curvature.
    Bottom image: without quality curvature.

BTW the bottom mask isn't good either. The optimus prime material is pretty fucked up.

So what this option is all about?

This project has a huge amount of high poly elements and I'm very disappointed about DDO's capabilities with high poly models.