Home General Discussion

Concept decision help

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, im looking to start my first project in UE4 to start buffing my portfolio but im stuck trying to decide what to do. I know i need an environment and plan to do many more. Trying to go for rather simple so I can study materials and such. Think i have narrowed to these. Thanks

hallway_by_adamrichards-d36ihia.jpg

subtle_light_by_pjacubinas-d7ewxsa.png

Replies

• JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    I think the 2nd concept is a lot stronger and more interesting, but if you're just looking for something simple to practice UE4 on the first is certainly a lot more modular and offers some good materials to study.

I'd say do the first as a learning experience and then do the second as a portfolio piece.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Second one definitely. The first one doesn't have any points of interest. And the second one is doing more with the lighting.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, but if the plan is going for environments, take the girl out of the first image. Is it still compelling? She plays a major part in drawing your eye around the scene. Without her, it is just an unkempt bed in a dank room.

For a first time dive into UE4, go with the first one. You won't get bogged down in details and you can easily use it to test things out while at the same time make actual progress. The second image I think you could easily get lost in details, get frustrated with it, and it becomes yet another half started project that we all have on our hard drives.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    excellent thanks guys, ill go with the first as my first entry then pick something stronger when i gain confidence.