Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Silhouette Practice

I've been having some trouble with coming up with new concept ideas. Whenever I think of something, it would usually end up looking too similar to the mainstream image of said concept (example: I try to draw robot, it ends up looking like a Gundam mecha). One of the exercises that I do to help stimulate my creativity is by drawing silhouettes from an ambiguous shape of an image, often by taking a silhouette of the image, transforming it until I see a possible concept, and then elaborate on said silhouette until the iconic aspects of what I'm seeing with my mind's eye is sketched out, and repeat.

Please give feedback on my silhouette sketches and/or give advice on what else I can do to stimulate my creativity with the silhouette exercise.
If you also want to post some silhouette drawings as well, please post here and state how you created these concept silhouettes.
~Chibs

Replies

• MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    I might start with more mundane stuff. Draw a water bottle and conceptify it. Do something you're totally uncomfortable with and then take it further. Add sci-fi or fantasy elements, do whatever, but maybe starting with something from life might be nice. A tree, go outside and do a tree in your sketchbook.