Home General Discussion

Slaughtering Grounds...

IceWolve
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
Not sure if there was already a thread on this but i recently stumbled upon quite a hilarious find. A game on steam called slaughtering grounds, which was reviewed as a horrible game and the developer lost his mind over it. He tries to explain he is a coder who purchased assets to make this game. But seriously if he was a "coder" the gameplay mechanics would be far better than what they appear to be...

Here is the review on story on youtube: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6s0Wpn1zmU&src_vid=b8gCQbmk0B4&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_3446647845[/ame]

My question is, how did it end up on steam, while other games (from what i am seeing) are trying to get a greenlight on steam? Why is steam allowing it to stay (besides kicks and giggles or legal reasons) I think its hilarious how the price dropped but even 4.99 won't save it.

From artist, and developer point of views, what are yalls takes on this? What if it was some of your artwork being used in this game? If it was stolen or paid for? If it was paid for not much you can do but would you mention it? I know there is a lot of work to go in game development, but this seems like a script kiddie got his hands on the unity engine and threw a bunch of things together, in hopes to try and make some quick cash. Maybe he will use that money to enhance it or just run, who knows?

I Think i have seen far better attempts from people such as those who participate in the make something unreal contests. The haunted game etc... (though i tend to be a unreal fanboy i suppose)

Replies

• SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    "but this seems like a script kiddie got his hands on the unity engine and threw a bunch of things together."
    Because that's exactly what it is. Babies first vidya geam in Unity.

For obvious reasons I dislikes Jims lack of respect for model creators, its not like all game developers have artistic backgrounds/ skills, and I'm sure some people here make a nice extra bit of cash selling characters/assets and props (hell that's what I would love to do eventually but I'm not experienced enough).
    But for the rest I'm usually with him all the way. And you're right, much better has come out out of 2 day game Jams then SG.

My take, ouch. Not much different than the fiasco of the WarZ from a few years back; I wait for reviews, I'm done with being lied too;

http://youtu.be/54s_jyjMUxY?t=6m45s

hell these days I even wait for sales.
    Its to bad the quality level of Steam has been set to an utterly low bar but lets face it, it was to be expected. Early Access; do your research because I sure have learned my lesson.