Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - The Oasis - El dude brothers

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
_Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
Hi there!
We just start working on our scene for the contest. The idea is to represent a throne placed into a eastern wealthy kingdom. We were inspired by mesopotomian, egyptian and arab cultures, mixed with a little of rpg setting. The kind of place you would really like to visit in a game. We gonna try to mix the architectural elements into the natural environment, having the water and some vegetation as a big part of the composition.
We are going to focus into mid space kind of scene, instead of going for a really small thing.

During last week we have been working on some blockouts looking for the mood and the kind of elements that we are including.
I posting some of the blockouts, and then Myles will post some more. Some of them are part of other different settings that we did discard at the end.
We ll post soon a mood board as well
C&C are welcome as usual.

YxfYL07.jpg?1

FihuA0U.jpg?1

gWisRTl.jpg?1

Cheers!

Replies

• myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys,
    Ayi pretty much covered everything to say - but here's my set of blockouts from the past week. Even though we aren't using any of these, it's been a great process. My blockouts tend to be a little more abstract so i've been trying to put more detail in them, especially in the latest.

4.) My final full blockout, combined multiple elements from all the ideas. There's various elements I liked from this, but overall Ayi's final piece had better emphasis on the throne and it made sense to go with his.
    wirMVBw.jpg

3.) Going a little simpler with this and trying to bring back more focus to the throne area. Also introducing asymmetry to add better weight to the throne.

MzEVm1b.jpg

2.) Started to explore the oasis idea. Overall the shape of the space is interesting on a large scale, but the throne pales in comparison to the architecture around it.

3cEfEvQ.jpg

1.) This was with our initial idea of a viking/ dragon cave gold throne room. It felt a little generic and far off the mark, but it was a good way to warm up to the theme.

ihIGU8a.jpg

Thnx!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic! Your block in already conveys a great mood ... nice!
  • Durribie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the waterfall that you have by the throne! It looks very pretty so far!
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Update time!

We decided to move forward with Ayi's last blockout, so I worked into some of the architecture, looked at how we could repeat some of the prominent shapes and break up the background a little. I also attached a collection of references for the architecture as well.
    eMLDGNr.jpg
    YY5tr9w.jpg

We're gonna be breaking down the scene tomorrow into separate elements and start planning out how to get this done :)

Till next time!
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Working on the throne...just a WIP here...

83vfVJa.jpg?1
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Cant believe I missed this somehow. Really pretty stuff here guys. the throne is looking nice and very well executed.
  • Lilith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don`t know how I missed this, but definitely subscribe now! Great job.
    Everything looks amazing.