Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - A.C.C.P. Room - Paravolus

ACCP - Advanced Cybernetic Crime Prevention Room

I'll be working on a scene in UDK drawing inspiration from cyberpunk stories (Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Nueromancer, etc.)

This will be pretty heavy on the sci-fi-ness..

Noticed I posted the wrong beauty images.. the lighting wasn't baked correctly. :(

Either way, here are the updated images:

LXFO4Dy.jpg
2kH3yJJ.jpg
3rogZOp.jpg

And another just for funsies:
ZSpjmvx.jpg

Final Edit! Here are my submission images:

3tq0XgO.jpg
tU0qIKy.jpg
bumrLzd.jpg
wjDPksT.jpg
4eNdMFT.jpg
3kHpHM0.jpg

*EDIT* Here's the latest screenshot of my progress, scroll down to see more:

sQPGpkq.jpg

cFh27Xn.jpg

Here is the initial mood-board and block-in (UDK):

uxUGdX6.jpg

0VzWINm.jpg

PrXkyDV.jpg

And some doodles that I started off with:

Edit: Updated progress.

Replies

• Paravolus
    Adding some WIP screenshots of the throne itself. Still early (for me). I'll be adding most of the very small details (bolts and such) in photoshop. So I'm focusing on the overall shapes right now.

Next to model: The interface, screens, wires, wires, wires..

cObvixo.jpg

Wires:

YlPV92b.jpg

Time for Bed!
  • Paravolus
    Updates to the platform.. Finally got a chance to work on this over the weekend.

cFSfIgv.jpg

iQUfh21.jpg

rC3X1tV.jpg

Going to do the baking and texturing on this platform before continuing with the actual throne. Need a break from modelling and it will be good to get something into UE4.
  • Paravolus
    Started doing some low poly and texturing to get a better idea of what the end result might look like. Also, messed around with the lighting and reflections in the scene a little (Sidetracked! Argh) Still a long way to go, but I hope to have more time coming soon.

sR4K1a7.jpg

7QqhjeW.jpg
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Great preview of things to come :)
  • Paravolus
    Thanks Kel-Shaded! This weekend I wasn't able to do much.. but I managed to fine-tune some of the materials and lighting. Going to shoot for another update on Wednesday (hopefully).

U8RYglP.jpg
  • Paravolus
    Some WIP screenshots of the wall textures I've started on. Also a look at the modifier stack I typically use when modelling hard surface objects in 3ds max 2015.

First, I model from a plane and make sure to set all smoothing groups appropriately. From there, I like to add a shell modifier, followed by a chamfer modifier (with the settings from the screenshot) and of course a turbosmooth on top. If used correctly it is completely non-destructive and easy to change on the fly. It also gives a much better start at creating a low-poly mesh.

The chamfer modifier can also be used with only the selected edges, faces, etc.. from the edit-poly stack.

Some things to note on the tension settings:
    0.0 is basically like auto swift loops
    1.0 is a completely chamfered edge (which is much softer after turning on turbosmooth)
    Adjust to suit your needs, but I usually use somewhere between 0.0 and .5

Here's a screenshot of the stack with the settings I use, along with some Hi-Poly WIPs from using this technique:

bsRJAhX.jpg

iTzGh4b.jpg

vnNs9v2.jpg
  • Paravolus
    Still a long way to go. I'm hoping to knock quite a bit out this weekend. In the meantime is some progress on the actual throne.

Happy St. Patty's!

5Ydnomr.jpg
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    You've snuck in here with a great looking entry Paravolus! Interested to see where the throne is going to go as I really liked you're first version. Subbed!
  • Paravolus
    Thanks Aerashi! Time is everything right now though.. It's going to be a long week!

I finished up a tile-set for the environment and started building the outside walls. (still a ways to go, but the idea is coming along)

lsdtKvZ.jpg

0oAGYu8.jpg
  • Paravolus
    In crunch mode until the end of the contest.. Here's the latest shot of the level:

4thZVI9.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the first environment tile-set (the other is rendering right now!):

Fy1R189.jpg

Finishing up the environment tomorrow (later today, technically) and then focusing on the throne until the deadline.
  • Paravolus
    Worked all day on this.. I'm exhausted, but it's getting closer. Here's some screens:

pVcFpOW.jpg

fHFP0ED.jpg

http://imgur.com/xBSdJgw,fHFP0ED,pVcFpOW#0

Oh, here is the second environment tileset and the glass material I made:

jzghsCv.jpg

Must get sleep...
  • Paravolus
    Another update.. Finish line is close, going to finish the throne itself tomorrow. I'm calling the environment space done for now.

cFh27Xn.jpg
    sQPGpkq.jpg
    Rml8Q91.jpg
  • Paravolus
    Finished the low poly for the throne.. now for baking and getting it in the engine before tonight!

GKoygfb.jpg