Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Character Animation Critiques

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
HeyGafilimore polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I've recently updated my reel for character animation and would really appreciate some feedback on my work. Feel free to be as general or specific as you'd like. Thank you!

[vv]117739750[/vv]

Replies

• Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not an animator, so I may not be the best for crits, but I'll try.

Some of the movements feel a bit too "floaty" and slow. In particular, the first action we see by that jumping warrior. That's probably the most extreme example I could notice, but the rest of the reel kind of felt the same way as well.
  • HeyGafilimore
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries dude, I appreciate the critique. I see where you're coming from and I totally agree. Need to add more weight to some of the movements
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    My intimidate impression is that this video is way too dark! If you are trying to highlight character movement, you want to be able to actually see it.
    This is a good example where they used simple backgrounds [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE35VWV16-w[/ame].
  • HeyGafilimore
    Offline / Send Message
    It's funny, I actually had a coworker comment on the same thing. On my next pass I'll definitely have to change that.
  • j.god
    Offline / Send Message
    j.god polycounter lvl 4
    I think something to consider is what position you're looking for. Character animation for film? Video games?

Your reel feels like it doesn't say anything about you in particular. Like some others have said, the lighting is very dark and some of the motions feel weightless and are not very believable.

I'd also recommend thinking about cameras a bit more. The last video uses a couple of nice shots but I feel very distant from some of your animations. Get in there!
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I dont think your characters have enough weight to them.
    You've got a lot of anticipation which is good, but the follow thru is so slow. Some of the movements need to be a little snappyer
    THe second piece with the arrows was my favorite IMO.
    I think you need more exaggeration as well.
    Biggest example of that is when the giant is bouncing the small guy, and when he kicks him.
  • HeyGafilimore
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

j.god - I'm shooting for animation for gaming, and you're right, looking back these could use more personality. It's definitely something I'm taking note of and going back to fix.

pmiller001 - Thanks! I'll definitely be addressing the exaggeration on my next pass, and yeah, I think the "needs to be snappier" falls right in line with the floatiness so I should be able to kill two birds with one stone there