Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some of my concept work (character designs)

Hello,

I am new to this forum but have been a fan of video game creation ever since I modded bf1942 back in high-school. since then I ended up pursuing Marketing because I figured it a more practical profession to follow. However, now that I am finished (almost) I find myself still wanting to pursue a job in the game industry. I understand it's difficult so I slowly worked at it on the side throughout school, along with my other interests.

Anyways, I plan on attending George Brown college for Game dev because I want to be in Toronto (which is a very arts heavy city) Here is some of my work:

An Orc Shaman

shamanorc_by_jbathurst-d7iy7th.jpg

Here's the line drawing after a few roughs and under drawings

shamanjpg_by_jbathurst-d7ia0jn.jpg

The rendering took way too long, which isn't practical for the games industry, so for another one I worked on a much faster workflow. This is a sci-fi mercenary soldier I made part of a group called "blackstar".

blackstarflattened_by_jbathurst-d7r5hux.jpg

The line drawing (this pose I completely drew from my head so it is pretty generic)

blackstarmain_by_jbathurst-d7r5hjn.jpg

another barbarian skyrim style orc

orc_warlord_agressive_brown_by_jbathurst-d7kbmvn.jpg

I did some box art for games-workshop, which they ended up declining because it wasn't "dark" enough. which is true

ork_vs_marine_final_sketch_by_jbathurst-d84ccqr.jpg

Heres some older work, you can see my anatomy wasn't as good circa 2011 ish

supersoldat_concept_revamp_by_jbathurst-d5vfrio.jpg

the render didn't look as nice, but it was my beginnings with photoshop

warsuit_by_jbathurst-d5zos8j.jpg

and finally some pencil work: (sergio Martinez)
martinezportrait_by_jbathurst-d7lfts4.jpg

I've got more at www.facebook.com/sapphirestudio or just look up Jon Bathurst Art & Design

I'm a pretty experienced miniature painter which I think is a transferable skill to be a texture artist, It's my dream to be a character modeler/ character artist.

thanks!

Let me know what you think!