Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(UE4) Killzone 3 Stahl Arms Exterior

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
Hey all, new project for my final semester in school. I wanted to track my progress from day 1 with this so I will post as often as possible for every bit of progress I make. So here's the concept I'm working from.

killzone-3-stahl-arms.jpg

Here's a paint over showing planned modularity.

87ZJiJP.jpg

And here is a quick block out I did in UE4

DlDVU9i.jpg

Also here is a pinterest board with my main refs for this project.

So for the most part, all the elements will be made to the look good at a bit of a distance, but I want to do a fly through where I come in close to some of the environment. I was thinking to focus on the place where it looks like the chair lifts come in. What do you guys think? Thanks for any input and critique!

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Sweeet! Can't wait to see the progress!
  • Exotronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exotronic vertex
    That's a really cool concept, I'm a big fan of the Killzone universe, so i cant wait to see how this will pan out.
  • kn0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey good luck with the project man!

I worked on a very, very minor part of this particular piece/level/structure for the actual game. Curious to see where you will take this :)!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you guys are as interested in this as I am :)

And Kn0r I am super interested in your input through through out the process!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    The hardest part would be to render the natural/organic flow of the mountain.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree peanut. Gonna have to do some deep research before diving into that.
  • mazerius1st
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    the best way for the terrain would be to export it from Unreal 4 as a heightmap if you can and then pass it through world machine till you get a more natural terrain.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a great idea mazerius! I used world machine a bit before on a previous project and this would give me a good reason to purchase instead of tooling around with the trial haha
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, so this week I just went through and roughly modeled out a fair bit of stuff.

Y8LZLEd.jpg

I think its gonna take me this next week to really finish off most of the main modeling without going into smaller prop stuff in the places I'm gonna zoom in on. After I finish off modeling the main stuff I'm gonna do a paint over to get an idea of how I'm gonna go about texturing it all (obviously mainly based off of the original). After the paint over I'm gonna get into world machine and try to get the mountains going. I watched a few videos this week on the importing process and making it look really tight once its in UE4 so I'm actually pretty confident I can nail it. Anyway any C&C is appreciated!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Great progress here on the blockout/modelling, this is a super cool concept!. One helpful thing you can do is set up a camera in Unreal that you keep taking your screenshots from, so you are comparing from the same angle/field of view as you progress. I don't know if the angle is different in this newest image, but the structure looks a whole lot more compressed than the initial blockout.

eH8MbOo.gif

Try sculpting up some midground/background mountains in there as well to get some more depth in the scene. I'd love to see a simple mesh for the ship in the BG as well for the same purpose.

It may not be in the concept, but it would great to get some movement in the level if you do a flythrough video. A few suggestions for that would be:
    Snow Drifts
    Steam Vents
    Animating those powerline things
    Skybox movement
    flags?
    Etc.

Keep up the great work duder.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Ohhh i'm excited to see how this turns out.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Lucas!I think the angle I moved the camera too has a lot to do with it. Also some of the buildings in the middle are taller than they were in the block out and I think that makes it feel a bit more squished. I also think I could do some good spreading the structures apart a little bit. I'll definitely make some adjustments to try to get it back closer to the original image.

And I will definitely be making those mountains soon after finishing some of the main buildings, next thing on the list :)

Also all those recommendations are solid, will probably do all of those! lol

@pmiller001 Thanks!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, quick update after giving World Machine a go, and also tweaked some things per Lucas' critique! Still a ways to go but was happy at how this first pass at them snowy mountains came out. Definitely gotta tweak the texture and add in some more detail.

2cVb3tD.jpg

I got the next few days off so expect something good by Monday :)
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Some good progress thus far Matt. After getting the modeling down try to really challenge yourself and provide shots of your work that look awesome not just from one perspective but from 2-5. That would really help sell this piece! It's true that the landscape may be the most challenging part of this assignment. Have you considered using NDO or ZBrush 2.5D techniques to make really nice characterized materials? Also look into using UV Layout if you haven't already, your "Light-maps" will be done in like 5-10 flat minutes for all that hard surface stuff. Stay away from just using "Box UVW - Unwrap UVW" modifiers or else that may take like a month to do. Here's a video example of UV layout goodness - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCY_2A_T1CU[/ame]
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Taber! and thanks! So I definitely wanna get at least a second perspective from some where in front of the main structures kind of looking into where the ski lifts come into the main picture. I think if I really dig in and get some of the other stuff done I may be able to get that stuff together before the end of the semester, if not I think that's still a good thing to shoot for just because it offers more angles on the environment. As far as texturing goes I was looking into the Quixel suite to help me get a good portion of the textures done. But for some of the new up close things and rock texture for the mountain I'm working on I'm gonna be doing some high to low poly work to get some nice texturing in there. Also I have not looked into UV Layout before, that looks awesome! I will definitely be using that, thanks a bunch :)

Anyway! Here's a quick update, I wanna get a nice sky box going so I might just tackle that this week, I feel like I haven't ever nailed that before so this could be a good challenge for the week ahead.

WY4EHS7.jpg
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, messed with the skybox, baked some of the stuff for the weird radio tower thing, made some trees, and worked on a particle effect for snow. The lighting for all the buildings looks a lot brighter but thats just from altering some lighting and not rebuilding the lighting just yet. just finished most of the UV mapping, gonna do light maps using that sweet thing TheRealFroman showed me, and get to texturing. still some more modeling to get done with some of the upclose stuff, but I wanna get to texturing some of those big buildings now. Anyway, c&c always welcome!
    WKEXkh4.jpg
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I already got some feedback on the tree placement, and the odd huddled nature of them, gonna add some more and make them a little less oddly placed. Also the placement of the radio tower could be better placed closer to the main shot, use it more as a framing device, and aim the thing upwards. Anyway, more edits and arts to coming soon. Some progress will be impeded by my trip to GDC, but I think I can take a short break from the project for that :)
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    The scale of the non-snow rock patches is much larger than the concept and makes the structure feel smaller. Maybe blend in a tighter noisy alpha, would help.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely agree with that Leech. Right now the texture on the main terrain is just a kind of base to work from that world machine popped out for me, but I'm 100% planning on texturing over those with some sharper materials that make the scale more uniform and get some better detail in there. Thanks!
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all so quick update, not a lot done over the past two weeks because of GDC. But heres a quick update. to8LrdC.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    o snappp! this is looking rad! going to be following this
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Gonna be harsh but hopefully you'll press forward:

Trees - those are a hot mess, they are void of good silhouettes, out of scale when compared to the scene; and really don't make much sense being that high up, not many trees would grow at that altitude.

You lost your directional light, you had it earlier....where'd it go? You really should be pushing that to get your shapes.

You lost the contrast of the rocks - meaning...you had snow on the Y up facing surfaces yet now I can't tell what I'm looking at......your mountain/snow currently looks unnatural.

The snow flurries are distracting and your attempting to hide your scene behind it, don't you need to go back and look at your concept and do a better job of matching the lighting/fog/silhouettes.

Your foreground piece really messes the sense of scale, and doesn't work with this composition, if your dying to put something in the foreground go with a rock, keep the viewers/players focus on the structure.

over all you were on a better path on your 02-15-2015 post. Revisit...dissect what you've done and redirect.

Good luck.
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not harsh at all man! Just strong critique :) And that's why I'm here right?

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Only a few things, I'm not sure what happened to the lighting, truely. I believe I angled the directional light a smidge and it all just went to heck. I'm gonna go back and just completely reset the lighting. It also happened when I went in to change my skybox up so maybe I did something weird with the settings with that thats throwing it off.

I see what your saying about the rocks and snowy mountain weirdness, too much blank whiteness with some random lines and it doesn't feel natural.

I will also definitely turn off the snow effect.

I also do desire to have something in the forground, so maybe just some rock formations that would make more sense is just the thing.

Seriously thanks a bunch for the great crit! I was feeling overall like the piece was running away from me and that was just what I needed :)