Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2015 Vray Viewport

Chubbydan
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Chubbydan polycounter lvl 13
Hi everyone,

Haven't been using vray lately but made the move to 2015 end of last year and been ploughing on. Went to do some promo imagery with vray and the vray materials don't want to show up when using realistic in the viewports. The material shows up bright white.

Issue seems to be occurring for others;

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/77248-3ds-max-2015-object-view-port-seems-self-illuminated-pure-white.html

Things I've tried are...
- viewport driver changed to everything else and no solution. Default was the latest nitrous.
- various material settings
- various vray property settings just for the sake of it really, nothing in there seems obviously linked to what I'm looking at.

Vray version is 2.50.01, thinking whether or not the move to 3 will sort this but fighting the move due to the change in costing.

Any suggestions would be ace, current work around is to create a new viewport layout for 2 panels. Set them both to perspective and then change one to active view and enable the vray renderer for the activeshade.

Cheers,

Dan

Replies

• SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    This could be a problem of how the viewport reads Vray Lights, try lowering their values to see if that's the problem.

Anyway, is the Realistic viewport rendering essential?
  • Chubbydan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chubbydan polycounter lvl 13
    Hi SonicBlue,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried various lighting alterations but no results so far.

This is related to an issue for a colleague of mine. For doing the promo imagery it's fine as it will render but my colleague is currently working on a project where it would be ideal for them to be able to view the materials they are creating with diffuse and normal info and further down the line this will be a problem directly for myself so I thought I'd see if there is a solution now before I need to have it.

Cheers,

Dan
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    This happens in Cinema 4D too, so I had to use the viewport mode that uses the default light to illuminate the scene or trim Vray Ligths values down a lot (from ~13000 to 1 lumen or less) to see the materials.

Don't know if Vray in Max allows you to use Max's standard lights with its materials, if so, you can set your Vray Lights to a layer, disable them for the viewport, and use the standard lights to lit your viewport, disabling them in the render.