Home Technical Talk

mirrored geo issues maya > marmoset

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
I already solved it while I was uploading the pics to photobucket but I still felt like posting because I don't understand what happened and this might help others if they get stuck like I did

here is my mesh in maya with two sided lighting turned off, all transformations frozen, and all history deleted
maya1_zpsplp3ecv3.jpg

and here it is in marmoset
marmoset_zpskyvyg8l3.jpg

I couldn't figure out why this was happening, I read older threads saying to reverse normal faces, triangulate before export etc did all that and still no results. I even purposely reversed the normals on the door in maya thinking it would show the right way in marmoset.... kind of worked but it made the door a dark grey but at least it was lit from the right direction

so I back tracked, exported it with normals turned off in the export options and then imported the .obj back into maya. This allowed me to see the reversed normals on the door unlike before. So I reversed them and re-exported the mesh with the normals turned back on in the option box and everything worked!

new problem, all my edges are now set to hard and selected an edge to make soft was not working, so I had to use the "normals > set to face" feature and eventually I got everything back to normal

shouldn't of deleting history and freeze transformation of prevented this?

Replies