Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – <Throne of Time> – Lawrence Preston

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
So, I'm pretty much the worst designer in the world, and I've been completely stumped as to what to do for this challenge. Looking at some of the completely awesome, original ideas has intimidated me a bit. However, I really want to get some experience with environmental modeling. This is something I have not done, and is a bit intimidating to me. So, instead of wasting anymore time, I'm just going to start my "design process", and see where it goes.

All I have is some broken ideas. I want a bit of organic ( which is new to me) and some hard surface. Some old and new. hard soft. Contrast, contrast, contrast. I really want to incorporate watch movements for some reason. Since there are to be no characters, I want to make it an almost "forgotten" throne room.

All these elements together, I have some old/new, life/death, hard/soft, light/dark contrasts going on. Hoping that it will be enough for me to stumble my way through this. Main theme is Throne of Time. Perhaps it's Father Time's throne?

Completely disjointed reference board at my pintrest page:
https://www.pinterest.com/greatdaytoshine/throne-room/

Here's my starting point, photo-bashed concept:
zEBXS3L.jpg

Replies

• Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass at a blockout. Going with some ancient Greek ruins, to convey the timelessness. The ancient tree will be somewhat entwined with the stone-slap throne. Tree will be mostly dead, save for a branch or two, reaching towards the light in full bloom. God rays streaming directly on the throne.

Not sure if I want the time-movement to be a part of the throne, hanging, magically suspended, or what. Originally I was thinking it would be the window out of the back of the hall, but things have strayed since then.

Scene is set high in a mountain crevice so that I can have a sky backdrop, framed by rock. I want' some vegetation scattered about, like in the "concept", but not quite as many. Trees have been on my to-do list, as well as stone, and pretty much everything in this scene (:

zH4jydz.jpg
  • Aerashi
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking the face in the tree suggesting an old man but also using the long lives of trees themselves.

One comment I'd make is your model seems a lot smaller than the concept - part of the charm of the concept is that it feels like it's a hulking stump, dominating the circle it's in. Besides, Father Time would probably not be human size, get that seat fit for a giant butt. Also, gnarl up that nose nicely so it can be used as the steps you're suggesting!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    You have so many ref images there that I also have. Love the look of this one, the astrolabe/ selesnya/ millstone mtg card / druidic wheel deal.
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerashi wrote: »
    Really liking the face in the tree suggesting an old man but also using the long lives of trees themselves.

One comment I'd make is your model seems a lot smaller than the concept - part of the charm of the concept is that it feels like it's a hulking stump, dominating the circle it's in.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated. I'm getting the sense that the throne and base seem small/insignificant, as well. I'll start addressing that, tonight.
    Aerashi wrote: »
    Besides, Father Time would probably not be human size, get that seat fit for a giant butt. Also, gnarl up that nose nicely so it can be used as the steps you're suggesting!

I'm not sure if it is to be a tree trunk, or a stone outcropping. It was originally supposed to be stone. And I had envisioned stairs spiraling around, from the side to the back. I'm liking your idea of the nose being steps, much more. However, I have almost no experience with organic modeling and sculpting, so we'll have to see if I can pull something like that off. Throne... I'll try and figure something out as well. Thanks!
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    You have so many ref images there that I also have. Love the look of this one, the astrolabe/ selesnya/ millstone mtg card / druidic wheel deal.

Kevin, you are so awesome for giving purpose and meaning to my reference stuff, haha! Seriously. I really didn't even know what they were other than that I liked them. The astrolabe and druidic wheel have really peaked my interest.

I'm going to work on trying to incorporate the gient stone Oracle into an astrolabe type thing. Something to really bump up the contrast of ancient architecture and machine... and nature
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking that the idea of this throne could be that it had the ability to alter time. It could do that by rotating the Oracle, which is like a calendar. By rotating the extremity, (changing the relative alignment to the cosmos) the cosmos would infact follow suite, altering time. Just an idea but I don't know if I can get it to work right in the composition.

I gave the pillars less bulk in an attempt to make the throne seem larger. I also added a reference person for scale.

rfDrqZ6.jpg
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing around with the gear concept some more. Trying out a version where the gears were originally concealed, but have been exposed over time. The device no longer works.

The inner circle will be grass and earth. It didn't make too much sense to have the tree stump/rock throne on a slab, as I did.

I'm not really sure about the whole gear thing. I hope to get some feedback on it. For now, I'll let it chill.

l1TpDy1.jpg
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice layout of the "room" or if you prefere, the level. Keep it coming.
  • adam flores
    Offline / Send Message
    adam flores polycounter lvl 11
    I like the gear idea, but I also like how you have them showing through the floor pieces
  • Nheerph
    Atmosphere is really awesome in the photo-bash and its starting to take shape in 3d too! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :)
  • Cheungygirl
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheungygirl polycounter lvl 8
    Love how this is going so far! I discovered cool vintage astrolabe's on ebay recently not knowing what they were and just wanted to buy them all haha XD

Have you also had a look at armillary sphere's, orrery's and maybe even vintage compass's? :)
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I really, truly, appreciate them. I'm struggling with this, quite a bit.

I feel that there is something wrong with it; It feels stiff, and that It's losing the direction and feel of the concept. This is due to poor planning, I think. After letting it sit for a couple days, I've come to the conclusion that I need the idea to be fleshed out more, before I progress.

Seeing that I've entered this challenge as a way to get me out of my comfort zone, and to learn and become a better 3D artist, I'm going to work my art. Something I usually try and avoid.

So, back to concept phase, and I think it will ultimately make this a far better piece, in the end.

Direction I'm heading, first try:

E3xZjkL.jpg
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. so I sort of ran out of money, and had to leave my apartment. Haven't worked on the challenge in a while; It's been a hectic few weeks, trying to figure shit out, but I've got a temp place, and am fortunate to have room for my computer and internet connection. little bit of an update, got a lot of catching up to do:

TSE7NPb.jpg
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea how to approach the environment design pipeline, I'm in over my head, feeling paralyzed, but going to start making some props and see how it goes, lol. here is latest blockout

@Cheungygirl: Thanks for the suggestions. I always loved orrerys, back since the Dark Crystal, but never new what they were called. Definitely helped shape and inspire the new direction, which I'm much happier with.

de8ZbRN.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 13
    I think the overall challenge I'm seeing here is that you need to achieve the interest that is in that photo bashed concept. This is just my suggestion so make your choices:

I would spend less time on worrying about placing giant balls around the perimeter and concentrate on nailing down the primary render. The clock and the face are really interesting. Spend most of your time getting the most important things down good as gold. You will need 3 shots for the contest, but these large scale shots showing everything are making the focal point so small its making me just want to see more clock and face!
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, ScottMichaelH, that makes sense. I'll switch my attention to the focal area. I started sculpting in zbrush, today, to see if it was even something that I'd be able to do, and it seems like I should be able to get along okay. I was working on some tiling arches, but just through the process of trying, and then getting excited, I landed pretty far off the mark. But, It's necessary learning experience and practice, anyway.

ZRAJqCO.jpg