Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Welcome to Mictlan - Hector Mateo

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sugus polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone!

This is a great oportunity to participate in a polycount competition so i'll give it my best!

I've chosen to recreate a throne based on the Mexican festivity "Dia de los Muertos" (Day of the dead), and perhaps blend it with some Aztec mithology features.
Here's an initial sketch i've thrown together quickly to get across a first idea for the throne. I'll then proceed to create a proper concept for it.

Sketch and Moodboards:

mWAmhkb.jpg

4cy9xsh.jpg

Xa3JXRP.jpg

For the contest i'm going to be using the following software. Many of these are new to me so it's going to be really fun to try out new tools!

- UE4
- Substance Designer & Painter
- Photoshop
- Maya
- Zbrush

Let's do this :D

Replies

• Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Update with a quick blockout render I intend to paint over to get a feeling of what my throne will consist of.

The idea behind the scene is that this throne is in the realm of Mictlan. Every building/house/structure is formed of many graves combined together.

zWj2yvo.jpg
  • Nheerph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking the blockout so far man! Although the throne reminds me of Game of Thrones too much, Id suggest altering the shards bit a little.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Nheerph! Thanks for the comments! The throne itself doesn't have any shards :) The spikey things are "flower petals" as seen in the reference above, behind the head of the snake god.

Thanks for pointing it out though as I do not intend my throne to look like Game of Thrones hehe.