Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yelrah's 2D Art!

Decided to start a thread to track my progression as i work my way towards producing a portfolio. I am currently working as an apprentice game artist at Playgroundsquad UK and hope to get an internship as a conceptual artist a year or so from now.

Im going to post anything and everything i remember to!

diarama.pngforsite.pngpaintingdavillage1.pngLandscapeconcept.png

Replies

• Yelrah
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Yelrah!

It's good that you seem to have lots of ideas, but I'm going to be frank, these need a lot of work before you could even get an internship with them. Here are some of the major issues with the pieces above:

-Perspective
    The perspective on your works is all over the place. The scene with the cart has really bizarre perspective and foreshortening with the horizon moving up and down with almost every object in the scene. Many of the lines that would be straight and indicate perspective are also bent and angled, you need to clean up your work before moving onto the rendering stages.

-Rendering
    Your values are also all over the place. I'd suggest to paint from life, or from pictures, and really try to understand how lighting works. Start out with simple primitive shapes, like spheres and cylinders, then work up to copying simple objects from life, like a kettle, a stone, then up to full scenes. Jumping straight into full scenes means there is a ton for you to know and do well for the whole scene to come together. Also keep in mind value is the most important thing to keep an eye on when trying to convey believable light. If something looks wrong, and the perspective/underlying drawing is ok, it's most likely the value.

-Color
    Color should be the last thing on your mind atm. But if you want to work on it, then again, study life, photos, copy what you see before you make things up.

There are a ton of facets to concept art, but working on fundamentals will be the base to learning everything else.

Good luck, and keep it up! :)
  • MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Avanthera wrote: »
    Hey Yelrah!

-Perspective
    The perspective on your works is all over the place. The scene with the cart has really bizarre perspective and foreshortening with the horizon moving up and down with almost every object in the scene. Many of the lines that would be straight and indicate perspective are also bent and angled, you need to clean up your work before moving onto the rendering stages.

Good luck, and keep it up! :)

Avanthera, I love your comments so much.

I agree with this 100%. Right now you're confusing us with how you've got stuff laid out. On that first one it looks like you've got a wireframe underneath. That's doing wonders for your perspective. Do some studies or throw down some basic lines before starting stuff.

As always, the link to the ever popular PSG art tutorial: http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#perspective_and_construction