Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Kindom of the Rock - Labmonkey and Daedalus51

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Daedalus51 polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys!

Eons ago, in time before time, Iceland was home to a culture, now vanished and forgotten.
Mount Skar

Replies

• labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    labmonkey polycounter lvl 9
    Well, by no means a finished concept. But hitting my self imposed timeline for the rough, initial version, thatll have to do for now.

This will probably go through a number of iterations, but at least it should give some sort of indication and direction.

Sketch_07.jpg
  • Daedalus51
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update: we iterated on the walkway and the overall feel of the environment. Robert made some quick overpaints which you can see here:

s5pJck.jpg

I updated the blockout with the new walkway and some other small things and did some first test for the mood in Unreal 4:

6uhry6.png

We still need to come up with a proper design for the throne (or better say the actual seat ;) ), but thats the next thing to happen anyways ;)

Cheers!
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Righto, so since we changed the design of the space somewhat, as shown above, I decided to spend a couple hours on a revised concept.

ThroneRoom_concept_iteration_01.jpg

Not sure yet about the extent of the gold, so I may touch this up at some point
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    And for good measure, the result of a lot of tinkering with heightmaps in zbrush. Trying to get a few good rock surface alphas out of 2d images. And these represent the first few steps in that direction, and whereas theyre not good enough to be used as is, they may provide a good sculpting base, in a pinch.

I am to understand that bitmap2material would be a good solution for this sort of thing, so I will look into that next. Maybe the results out of that will be a lot better.

In any case, I will continue chipping away at this, as we iron out the last remaining kinks in the composition of the scene.

Rocks_2d1.jpg
  • cataev serj
    I like the first surface and the fourth is also satisfactory.
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Just noticed the concept was extremely dark on the work computer, so I just lightened it here, since it bothered me to think thats what people might be seeing.

Damn you calibration inconsistencies! At least one of the two should look fine, I hope :)

ThroneRoom_concept_iteration_01_light.jpg
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah this is much better for this monitor calib at least :)
    Looks great! Loving the mood :)
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    this is nice. The lighting in here could really be something special!
  • Soy13
    following. Excellent skills on texturing man.
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post this earlier, but may as well do it now. A fairly simple ref sheet, mainly for materials and colours

Throne_ref_sheet_flat1.jpg
  • nyloc
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    nice keep it up!
  • lopezmolano
  • EpicBeardMan
    Offline / Send Message
    EpicBeardMan polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the paintover. I admire people with such skills. Good luck and have fun.
    Cheers!
  • Daedalus51
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just a small update ;) I did some quick tests for a rock and a gold ore material in Unreal:
    xu0nme.jpg

And here is a small update to the blockout:
    TrPoj2.jpg

Cheers!
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting rocks is the weirdest thing. A google search would yield the most unusual shapes, but its so ridiculously easy making them feel artificial, all the same.

Anyways, heres the current state. Still work in progress but I feel like its starting to come together and look natural, even if not perfect (yet). Its just the one mesh for now, but Im trying to make it distinct from different angles so we can reuse and rotate it.

rockwip_03.jpg

I just copied the same mesh a few times and rotated it to see if it would work in principle, so this is the above mesh, 4 times at various rotations.

rockwip_04.jpg

Starting to look promising, if a little unrefined.:)
  • Daedalus51
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, was just trying out a bit of vertex paint stuff to get a feel for the environment. By no means perfect, but I think its something to push further, since it adds a lot of nice detail together with tessellation.
    FXi2Bb.jpg

Will continue to work on this to see how much more we could get out of this :)

Cheers!
  • lopezmolano
    It's looking really nice! I like the atmosphere and the structure in general (the distribution of the entire scene).
  • Dykov
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so just an update on the rocks.

Heres the sculpted rock I made earlier, baked down to a quickish lowpoly. And with a random tiling surface applied.

rockbakeclean.jpg

rocktake2.jpg

And the first pass at a tiling porous rock. The intention is to use a layered material, and to blend this in along with smoother and rougher rock etc. So this would only be used sparingly, most likely. And its only a sketch really. There is a seam along two edges from the alpha, that I havent bothered removing as of yet, along with numerous other issues. I was hoping to test this out in the shader before investing the time.

porousrock.jpg

And finally, took my daughter to the zoo over the weekend, but figured I might grab my camera and take pictures of rocks, hoping to be able to process them into 3d. So I must have looked pretty daft, taking hundreds of pictures of the same rock, but ignoring, you know.. the animals. Anyway, the results so far are encouraging, even though its taking ages for the computer to process the material.

rockscans1.jpg

Have another 10 or so rocks to go through. I think they should prove quite useful, if only to generate heightmaps for zbrush. In any case, it was my first go at photoscanning, and its quite a bit of fun, I think. :)
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, this truly is a last second update, but I feel I should post some of the material nonetheless, though its not exactly new at this stage. My bad.

Anyway, in an attempt to nail down the design of the throne, I went back to the drawing board a bit, and mucked around with various silhouettes in alchemy, like so:

throne_alchemy.jpg

We ended up settling on a variation of the tallish one:

throne_alchemy4.jpg

Which I proceeded to model out, and play around with inside the quixel suite, as well as Substance designer. toyed with the resulting maps for a bit, trying to get a good stone base, to hopefully add gold to later on.

thronework.jpg

thronework2.jpg

And to bring it closer to the concept, spent ages figuring out how to do the gold, and not make it look unnatural or bizarre. The below is a bit of a compromise for what seems to work the best in the actual level. (not to mention the timeline)

throne_engine.jpg
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    So following that, spent some time today creating a few simple rock meshes to populate the scene, and tried adding a few basic fog planes to evaluate how that might look.
    My partner in crime on this one will do a proper pass on those, so this is just a sort of sketch, if you will.

Worth mentioning at this point that the red lighting is bleeding strangely, and that is being adressed also

shots.jpg

fog2.jpg

Well, time is really against us now, so lets see how much we can pull off before the end :)
  • Daedalus51
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha...yeah, we were a bit lazy with updates :D So here is also a last minute one from me while I wait for the final light build to finish ;)

I was manly working on all the materials and setups, the scene itself, the outer throne shell and some rocks. For the rocks I used photoscanning as a base.

This is one of the final lowpolys I used:
    whtoCB.png

This is a early wip shot of the throne shell:
    UlnKVd.jpg

And here is another rock material sample:
    LEF54E.png

So, will start working on the final shots for the submission now :)

Cheers!
  • Daedalus51
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys...here we are^^ This is the final submission of our work. There is still so much stuff we werent able to finish or even start doing, but overall...it was a total blast!

Since we were a bit lazy with wip updates as well, Labmonkey and I will post some more breakdowns in the coming days to show you guys how we did certain things.

One thing I want to mention is the sad fact that we didnt really use that much of the substance tools. Main reason for it was that we had quite some pressure time wise since we are very busy at work right now (and you know...children eat your time away like sweets as well :P), so I for myself decided to better invest the time I have into building stuff, than learning a new tool and loose some time. However, I have scratched the surface of the allegorithmic tools and I have to say, they are a blast! :D So I will definitely dig more into that since it was already fun to work with and gave some nice results.

Bitmap2Material however was used for almost all materials I made ;)

So yeah...enough blabla...here are the final shots (and sorry, they are quite dark, havent fixed my monitor calibration and it looks diferent on every screen :( ):
    6vmKDm.png

VqITLL.png

Q24r4f.png

Here are the throne wips from Labmonkey:
    7YySZj.jpg

84pPuy.jpg

ggV0D7.jpg

o6vpyQ.jpg

Hope you guys like it and cheers! :)