Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mask_Salesman's Annual Selfportait 2015

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
What am I doing in this part of the forum... It''s been too long. >__>

I started a new selfportrait, I try to do one each year. altho staring at ref for ages has made me pretty blind, but I'm sure the cranium is fucked. I WOULD LOVE SOME CRITS! Especially on that part. Forget this is from reference and just say what looks weird, even my stupid jaw that is actually like that xD.
Straight reference stuff some times gets stuck in the uncanny valley so it's nice to try for a more aesthetic look after to try and even it out. I'm far from going into pore details or anything yet tho.

ZP7XT28.jpg

Here's 2013's SelfPortrait. I started this abit late last year, right before xmas so it may aswell be 2015 lol.

Replies

• mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    There's not much that jumps out at me to be honest. The only thing that looks odd in my opinion is the forehead and brow. They just look rather flat to me from the 3/4 view, of course there are some examples of that.

Looking at some actors famous for large brows though, even they have more of a disconnect between that and their foreheads.

liam-neeson-2.jpg

daniel_craig_99.jpg

Fiennes11-1.jpg

Just my 2 cents, It's bit difficult to judge without the ref to be honest, looking great though so far though!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Noice, I have no input but from the picture I saw of you it does look accurate enough.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Oh snap - lazy copy paste from WAYWO
    Mask_Salesman - Looks really good. I can't say as to the likeness of you (at first glance I thought it was peter serafinowicz) but it's really symmetrical in the large features. The eyelids are looking a little papery - more volume could help make them fleshier

I would love some shots to have more to go on.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I've really not got anything to say besides that you are pretty hawt judging by your self portrait. ;3
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Updates what are those? I finally got back to it today horray!

Hey thanks I appreciate the feedback :)

I cautiously pushed the brow mazz423, but not much, Ive been back and forth alot with it, trying to avoid neanderthal stuff, I'm kinda frowning but it's not as heavy as their naturally fat aged brows. Altho I think when slap some hair on there it'l be more apparent if I need more brow beef.

Kurt Russell Fan Club, really that guy? >_> he's kinda ugs damn lol. Yeah I totes agree about the eyelids. I worked on them alot, pushed the lid meet back inwards alot more so they curve over the eye instead of being more vertical, but still I think they need more lol?

Cheers Tits & Kaine123 lol >_<;

I worked on the ears more aswell, like the tragus, those things are tedious, but ears are important and often overlooked by many so I want to go the extra mile on em ;P

Overall not a huge update... But an update none the less. I'm gonna start adding skin I reckon now. Cuz I'm not an old and grizzly war vet there's not much to sculpt flesh wise, just pores and wrinkles.

Texturing and facial hair is where I really wanna get to with this SP.

Mask_Salesman__SP1415_wip03.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yikes it's painfully obvious how freakishly lobsided my jaw is without a beard to hide it or skin colour distract from it lol, but a self portrait is a self portrait.

I've been doing some skin pore work on it, it was fun making a stubble alpha but I'm still abit dubious about it's effectiveness.

Mask_Salesman__SP1415_wip04b.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    10/10, would smash.
  • Jcools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that is odd to me is that it looks like a totally different person from your 2013 one.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Jcools it's soo meta. As the artist gets better his sculpting gets better but also as the artist gets older his appearance changes. Is the artist getting better with age and as such he is both different looking and represented better?!?!?!!Just trolling.

Looking good mate! 10/10 would smash
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)

Yeah the older ones are pretty shit looking tbh haha.

I tried Spotlight'ing some photo's without a beard onto the skin but there's too much lighting information tbh, it's fun but I think I'll just paint it instead.

derpppp__Mask_Salesman__SP1415_wip05.jpg
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been awhile but forced myself to make some time for it;

So I scrapped the photo ref textures completely and decided to polypaint it, there was just way too much lighting info. I found myself looking up my own texturing tutorials T__T;
    Slowly getting there, just needs a beard and hair now :)

Mask_Salesman_SP1415_marmowip02.jpg