Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio Review] Stylized Environment Art - Student

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakob Gavelli interpolator
Hi!

Two environments later and it's time for a power level check. I'm still a student but hopefully won't have to be for long. I'm hoping that my work make me stand out among the hundreds of other aspiring artists.

http://jakobgavelli.carbonmade.com/

-What's your initial thoughts when you enter the site?
-What do you think of the overall quality of what you see?

I removed the About page as I don't feel as if I have anything to put in it. Thoughts?

Would stuff like this qualify as experience? : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141122

UPDATE :

Help me swap pieces between Portfolio and Artstation.

Portfolio : http://jakobgavelli.carbonmade.com/
Artstation : http://www.artstation.com/artist/JakobGavelli

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The layout is pretty solid, although you may want to bring a bit more attention to your name. I really don't like the blue overlay rollover for the thumbnails, as it blocks the artwork that I'm about to see.

The work is good, but it is all stylized. It would be a good idea to get at least one realistic environment in there to show that you can make those kind of assets to make you more marketable.

While you're a student, it is good to show team projects that you've done with other people, especially if you communicate clearly what it is that you did for the project and your ability to solve problems within that project.
  • Ki Moon Roh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did you make that kind of home page? anyway, i love your work :)
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    The environments are great, but I would re-consider the hand painted weapons. I can tell that you know how to hand paint but frankly the simplistic design isn't doing them any justice and your environments are just so much better. I would drop them entirely, but if you fancy doing weapons then you could tackle something with a better silhouette, more color and better materials. But for now, I would remove the banner.

One other small thing is that the third banner seems a little low on contrast and could have its levels adjusted in photoshop, just to bring it up with the others. Subtle change for the most part, I've edited the bottom one to show what I mean.

pAwbbYW.jpg
  • FemCharles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    I agree with Bedrock. Your hand painted weapons are nowhere near the quality of your latest stuff. I would either ditch em or redo them.

Also your summer village could do with a little polish pass. Grass is a tad noisy, you could add some extra foliage around the base of the house. Extra highlights and shadows, pump a little more colour into it. I think your Red Robot piece is better and maybe should go above it?

With your forge of fire piece, didn't you do it as a modular set? It would be nice to see all the pieces on a sheet together!

Other than that, website is a good layout and easy to navigate!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Everything looks great and I agree about the hand-painted weapons.

Also, definitely put that 2-week env project up there! I remember showing that to a few people in my class when you first posted that thread :D. It's an impressive result for a short period of time.
  • Popolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Where will you apply? Everything in your portfolio is stylized in one way or another.
    Except for that comment, stuff is looking good and I love the easy navigation on the page.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lucas Annunziata : Thanks. As it's a free site I don't have control over alot of things I'm afraid. I can basically choose to have a blue or gray "highlight". I cant' actually remove it =/

I'm just not into realistic stuff at all. I know beggars can't be choosers but, yeah.

@Ki Moon Roh : Thanks! It's a free carbonmade.com portfolio site :)

@Bedrock : Thanks! They are my oldest pieces. They're archived indefinately! I'll take a look at the constrast on that thumbnail.

@FemCharles : I totally agree. I'm just a bit reluctant to throw in onto polycount for feedback since it's so old. But it's easier than doing a new scene I guess!

I'll update the Forge of Fire with the set pieces asap!

@beefaroni : Thanks. I'm considering how to go about it. Either gray scaling the assets I didn't make or maybe do a scene using the stuff I made. As I did most of the environment stuff + lighting + set dressing.

@Popolo : Heya! I'm not having much luck with applications. 90% of the time they're not hiring so you get placed in a huge pool. =/

I'm not sure if I should say this but the closest I got was a successful art test for Arrowheadgames, but they had to cancel the interview due to.. management stuff. :(:(:(
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya, just doing a quick bump to squeeze as much information from this one as possible :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been thinking, so I'll update here instead of making a new thread.

Artstation is something I've been using more and more just to keep track of old work or dump stuff that don't quite cut it as portfolio pieces.

It seems like my most popular pieces on Artstation though, are the ones that aren't in the portfolio xD
    I'm also trying to shake the " Dark Dungeons "-look I've been having for a long time..

Could you guys help me with what pieces should be swapped between the two? Because I seem to have a really poor taste when it comes to my own stuff..

Portfolio : http://jakobgavelli.carbonmade.com/
    Artstation : http://www.artstation.com/artist/JakobGavelli
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    that Dark Siders tribute is pretty dope man. awesome stuff
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Could post some of your smaller props on just like a prop page, with some of your "finished" "studies" that you like. That or you could post just an artstation link somewhere on the port. Same way some people post links to their polycount and what not.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @theblueturtle_ : Thanks!
    @Add3r : What do you mean "finished"? <,<

I'd love specifics. A artstation link on the folio would be great, don't seem to have that level of control using Carbonmade though ^.-.. or maybe I've missed it.

Like, the Blizzard Pouch is really crappy, but still it's the only piece I have that's been trending for days and getting lots of views. Am I reading too much into the Artstation numbers, or is it actually something I should have in the folio?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Finished meaning like retopo'ed, textured, etc., studies. I have been told by peers that they weren't fans when I posted just sculpts and what not on my portfolio and have heard it over and over since on both forums and in studio. Just my personal rule of thumb, employers like to see that you can finish a project or a piece, just as much as they like to see great work in general. In no way saying you don't finish work, as I actually think you have a great selection of polished port pieces and think you could get a job rather quickly if you applied around.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r, that came off less playful than I intended, sorry about that. ^^
    Thanks, ok. So I guess it's fine to use Artstation as a kind of blog to post stuff like that, sculpts and concept art. While keep the finished and good pieces to the portfolio?

Cool! I'd still love to hear if anyone finds a piece in Artstation that should be in the portfolio, or a portfolio piece that shouldn't be there etc!
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go again guys. I've made a major overhaul to the portfolio. This is how it used to look, for reference : 0WPzpiI.jpg

The adress is the same: https://jakobgavelli.carbonmade.com/

I'd love any feedback or if you're missing breakdowns or if some pieces should be removed etc. At the moment I'm not looking to apply to any companies that make realistic art. I'm just not interested in it. Maybe pickers can't be choosers but that's where I'm at right now.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    go with a sans serif font at best its more neutral
    cut those polycount icons theres no reason for them, its nice that you like polycount but its strange , im also more for the horizontal layout from before but both are ok

those thin borders on the pictures also don't really add anything
    Where has your name go ?
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    I dont like that you cannot scroll when the mouse is on the left hand side (near the menu links). Instead it has to be on the images which highlight and cause confusion when scrolling enough so I dont want to look at the work.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike : Thanks, man. I have the icons if it got featured somewhere. But it may be a bit strange, yeah.

@joshschmitt : Thanks, man. I don't have any control over that I'm afraid :/

I'd love some C&C especially on the quality of the content! I have yet to land a job in the industry to any help would be appretiated!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I personally might try removing some older works (Summer Village and the Red Robot)? Maybe try and do a really awesome outdoor scene to replace those?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Two important things.

1. Your images don't resize above a certain resolution. They're quite small for the size of some screens nowadays.

2. I can't drag and drop or direct link to your images!!!! Super important.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    I have not read through all the comments, aint got time for that! :poly142:

-What's your initial thoughts when you enter the site?
    : The current layout look like a familiar and easy to navigate. Assets seems to be at Highquality, looks very good.

-What do you think of the overall quality of what you see?
    : Highquality, looks very good. As some people have mentioned that your older stuff don't hold up. I agree that you should take away the wizard tower, or show the gameplay. Because the screens don't look nearly as good as your previous stuff. But I think the rest of the stuff is good and show a bit more variation!

As a artist:
    As Lucas Annunziata mentioned that you should do something realistic. This is good so you can reach out to more companies, especially when you are hungry start working.

Other than that I think you got the skills and it really shows. At the level you could potentially go straight for a environment art position rather than a internship :)

Not saying that you should drop out of school*
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo : Thanks for the feedback dude, I archived the Robot and Wizards stuff for now. I'd rather have the Summer Village than the Wizard's Tower to show off some handpainted work.

@beefaroni : 2. I KNOW, it pisses me off but I can't do anything about it... >< Then I'd have to cancel my subscription and find a new provider but I don't know.

@Christian Nordgren : Thanks for the breakdown, man ;) As I said I archived those two projects. I fall into the trap of wanting to show off everything I've ever done. But I guess the folio is only as strong as the worst piece.

About the whole realistic thing. Maybe I'm being naive but I don't think I'd like to work for a company that does that anyways? I want to grow and make awesome stylized stuff. Am I thinking about that the wrong way?
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to bump this the one time :) Thanks alot for the feedback so far!
  • josfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be interested in the answer to your last question as well ;-)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    If only stylized art is what you want to do then I would say go for it! You'll improve quicker too since you are just focusing on it. It seems like you have a knack for the stylized stuff anyway.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Awesome environment stuff man. Been following you on Artstation.

Definitely just go stylized. I had the same dilemma but once I considered that I wouldn't want to do hyper realistic stuff anyways, the choice was straightforward. You do better work when you're enjoying it.

Keep up the great work!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Ofcourse you should do something you like. I nowdays specialize in pixelart, but my portfolio shows a variety of different styles so I can still search to other companies if my current job don't work out. Its good that you have a niche but its always good to showcase something realistic.

Illustration jobs, commerical jobs could be a good valuable backup.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo : Thanks man, glad to hear.

@TomGT : Thanks alot :) Yeah, it's hard. But I figure that you've gotta create what you love and hopefully someone will pick you up and let you do it. But I don't know. One has to be marketable aswell ><

@Christian Nordgren : Yeah, staying marketable is hard. Been wanting to get into the industry for so long that it's a real dilemma to "just" get the job or stay true to what you want to do etc.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    realy good layout bro, like the fact that your email is right in there. Will def copy :D