Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM – Dwarven Mines– Shiv

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
Going to be working on a throne room built in a successful Dwarven Mining complex.
Inspired by Lord of the rings/Hobbit and I want lots of stairs because stairs are cool! It should also give me a few areas where substance Designer should excel over other programs and I am looking forward to exploring what it can do!

Here is my ref board -
Ref_Board.jpg

and some working out on the gold -
Gold_Working_1.jpg

Not done a blockout yet as the substance side of it has been more interesting :x

Replies

• 3dKai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dKai polycounter lvl 4
    I am already hype for this, go Dave go!!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    thanks a lot for this mini-tut, looking forward to seeing more of this.
  • visoutre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    Whoa if you have the warm/color lighting contrast from the outdoor lighting/lava like the concept pics this will be super cool. And thanks for sharing your process on the gold. I'm going to need that for my enviro if you don't mind me trying it out lol
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys, glad you like my little experiment :)
    visoutre - Please do! It felt like something SD really excelled in and is really easy to iterate on :)

I have been working on the blockout!
    Blockout_01.jpg
    Blockout_02.jpg

Currently don't like the Random crystal things, they are my "OH GOD HOW DO I MAKE IT BLUE" lights at the moment. I might open up the ceiling and get some nice wintery sunlight in there... and maybe snow falling in because snow is awesome.

Hopefully it doesn't feel too clusterfucky, really hoping I haven't bitten off more than i can chew! Tis quite a lot to get through.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Lookin boss so far! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • polytom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Loving the blockout.

You can already get a sense of how it's gonna develop.

All the best :)
  • AlejoLab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, all that gold is going to fall into the lava pit. Unless it's not lava but molten gold!

Intrigued about the possibilities of having some snow in there. Can be really cool.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can live up to it.
    I spent tonight working on a lava substance.
    Lava_Substance_1.jpg

I hooked it up to the $time originally in substance and that works fine in the substance player.
    Set it to a new variable name and tried to update it in ue4 through the blueprints and nothing seems to update till you physically enter the substance instance, click on the variable then click off in the substance instance. I can drag back and forth and it all updates as I would expect in the viewport. (For all variables)
    I tried substances own demo with the robot lady and the levers, those are having the same issue as well, they wont update the materials until I mess with the variables within the Substance instance itself.
    Its a shame because I built the lava to try and look nice moving rather than just static. It looks pretty meh static XD.
  • -FP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -FP null
    What are your substance generation mode settings? Edit > Project Settings, click Substance under Plugins on the left side.

If it's not already set, try setting the "Default generation mode for Substance" to anything but Baked, I can't really remember what sync/async and cache stands for, try them, I know you need to use one of these settings if you want to modify the substance at runtime.

Love your gold pile :D

Edit, or check this out, http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,2355.msg11064.html

Maybe that's it, I haven't tried yet to animate a substance in UE.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks dude, I had already checked that out, i can watch the numbers update for all the variables while its running but the textures dont update unless i grab one of the sliders in the substance instance itself (Not in game).
    I went through changing the sketchfab options in the project settings. Fully cleared the substances out and re-imported after each one.
    Unless i have to restart the editor to get that to change they all acted exactly the same.
    Will leave it for now and avoid moving substances :\

thanks for the help!