Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Attempt at Concept art

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
Hi peeps. I am an environment artist currently working in the game industry. I primarily work in 3d (I LOVE ZBrush!!) but recently I've been getting bolder with my 2d stuff. This is my fist attempt at a full fledged concept art piece (so be gentle lol). C&C is greatly appreciated and much desired!! Hope you enjoy it. :D

matte_painting_wip_001.jpg

Replies

• hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey William, this looks good for the first serious concept piece.

The first iteration has really good composition with the lines on the left leading to the focal point, and the strong contrast between the lit rock and the dark background behind. But in this update the lines are lost a bit, and the contrast has been lost on the focal point as well. The character reference really stood out in the first one too, even if it's not a main foal point, but it too is now lost a bit into the darkness behind it.

Now when I look at your new version, I don't know where to look at first glance, it's all starting to blur together.

I hope this helps!
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Aventhera! Thank you for the comments!! I totally see what you mean and I'm gonna put some more time into this. :D I'll post another update soon. :)
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed with Avanthera. I do prefer the shape of the arches in the new version though, but the character and the throne aren't as easy to read, so my eye went to the bright spot on the floor instead of the important stuff.

Also, the water seems too opaque and could probably stand to be more reflective.

Keep it up though, definitely a strong first attempt.