Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bolg - Battle of the Five Armies

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Kend greentooth
UPDATE:

143om1d.jpg

So I saw The Hobbit the battle of the five armies and absolutely loved it. But one of my favorite parts of the movie and the last hobbit film was BOLG son of Azog. personally one of my favorite orc designs in recent memory. His armor, his face, the metal coming out of his body I just loved all of it. So I've decided that he would be my next character.

Reference sheet below:

oh8yv5.jpg

This is what i got so far, Im going to be adding more detail to the parts of the skin that rip and tear, especially where the metal pop out of his ribs I just wanted to layout the anatomy first.

2v28weg.jpg

Replies

• System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Everything you got so far is solid work, but I think you should already focus on adding more bulging to the the parts where the flesh meets the metal parts especially on the face. Also from this one angle it's difficult to say but I think your cheeks still need some more work. Otherwise I think it's a solid start you got.

EDIT: Also looking at your refs, the jaw and chin of the character is still not there yet. Also I would try to make the mouth look a little meatier. To me the mouth doesn't quite feel fleshy enough.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Edgefall - Thanks man, Ya his jaw is really deformed on one side so I worked it more below.

Hey everyone so I ran int some crap on the side that kind of held me back when it came to working on this, but now Im free so im going to push through with this guy, heres what I got for his face still pushing the wound aroun the metal plates then onto the skin pores. Pls crit thanks guys :D

2e3oa2p.jpg

1ttsoi.jpg
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    I'd pull down the metal part of his forehead *edit* in *edit* a bit more maybe pull around the eye out to reflect the distortion the metal is creating in his skull and skin as the angle in the bottom left nicely shows. I think the further you push that asymmetry of his head splitting and being held together, the better his image will sell.

He's looking super sweet so far though, keep it up!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Lavitz - Hey man thanks for the crit but I'm a little confused to which metal plate your referring to in the first part of your crit.

Also here is a front shot of his face from the movie as ref
    2m6mryd.jpg
  • WarrenM
    My only crit would be that I feel the upper lip region (nose to lip) feels a little thin. It looks brittle, like you could break off pieces of it with your fingers. Maybe give it a little more beef...
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry, I'm not the best at explaining what I mean.
    I think his left cheek can be pulled out a bit more along with the eye, and the Metal/Dent in his head can be sunken in a little more.
    ag6deYT.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    WarrenM - Thanks for the crit ya Im going to have to fix that area up, I didnt fix it in this update but definately will go back into it.

Lavitz - Thanks for the drawing it helps :) Ya i worked on that in the update below.

Hey everybody so In the update I worked on the body and overall anatomy and silohuette so thats the big fix in this update and the metal ribs and cuts on the torso, Will be pushing the anatomy and ribs tonight will have a update tommorow before i go to work. Definately the things Ive noticed I got to work on are the forearms and hands gotta push those.

PLS crit thanks

241knx2.jpg

313j8g7.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    hey so I forgotto show the changes I made to the face. I removed the bolts temporarily just to show the face shape and silohuette.

Pls crit :D

34rhrmg.jpg

2mgmtmq.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the final result :)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Superfranky - Thx man :D
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I think you should add a bit more volume to the upper lip. Not a lot, but something. The refs have that "swollen" look to them. Other than that, lookin' good!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Thanks Stirls.

Hey guys so here is a quick update I'll have a bigger update on wednesday with more close up shots just want to get a few more crits on the proportions and boot armor, the skin skirt is a WIP

fdt6yh.jpg
    243s37m.jpg
    2j4ow2s.jpg
    adjlec.jpg
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Blocking out the shoulder armor and arm pieces.

143om1d.jpg