Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Captain's Cabin - TheoClarke

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
TheoClarke polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycounters,

This is the first 3D art challenge of any sort that I've entered into after 3 years experience. I'll be doing a Captain's Cabin environment and throne. I certainly don't hope to win but I'm hoping to enjoy the experience :)

Tools used:
Autodesk Maya
Photoshop (hand painting all textures)
UDK to render

(also possibly Mudbox if I end up sculpting)

Here's a quick WIP pic of 2-3 hours into modelling the shell of the cabin

WIP.jpg

Thanks for reading, good luck everybody

January 17th

Began to create props including this globe (WIP)

abb83165ad1c6e1230d16bd187b277b7.jpg

f3e40eacebfb84a01a317af165fe78b3.jpg

January 17th
Continued working on 3D models

gobletandgrenade.jpg

WIPJan19th2.jpg

Replies

• TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit more info on my approach to the environment:

> I'm doing a low-poly scene, with all my props UNDER 1000 POLYS
    > I'm hand-painting every texture
    > hopefully this will result in a very unique and stylised environment
    > I'm not using PBR cause I lack the software/skills at the moment
    > I'll be using normal and specular maps on as many assets as possible/necessary
    > My personal focus as a designer is prop design, so I'm doing a small compact scene with lots of props

I've made a pinterest board of reference images and images of my work: http://www.pinterest.com/theomclarke/pirates-throne-room/

Also check out my blog for more pics:
    http://stuffbytheoclarke.blogspot.co.uk
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Theo, I like that you're going in the low-poly direction; a lot of entries seem be super high-end Unreal 4 stuff, so this might fill a nice gap being left. My main crit would be that before going into detail for these little props etc, maybe flesh out the scene overall first with some basic geo and temp textures, get that in the engine you're using and get some lighting going.
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Wesley makes some good points.

At the moment it looks a bit 'dated', even this early on. I would definitely recommend taking a step back and plan your approach in terms of how you want the overall environment to turn out.

Pintrest is always a good idea. Grab some more reference and maybe lay down some rough concepts of something you're looking to achieve?

I'd also take a look through the Low-Poly thread if you're aiming for that kind of style.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41232

Good luck.
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I probably have jumped into doing the props too early, I've now gathered some reference images and plan to re-design the shape of the room before taking it any further :)

EDIT:

I've done some work on the room, including adding side windows, angling the back wall and adding wood rafters. here's how it's looking now:

2a606736131b3fc2713cd5ce66510304.jpg

e11c1247ffbda776a17ccf8c5b8b4b09.jpg

I think it looks a lot more like its actually on a ship now
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Theo, is this still in a 3D package? I'd definitely work on getting it into your engine of choice as soon as possible, will help with lighting/mood. Also at this stage I'd maybe think about blocking out, quite roughly, what will be where etc. Just a simple boxy chair for the throne, or whatever, etc. Will help with getting your composition and feel right.

Also btw I'd just post again with new work rather than using the edit post function, that way it will trigger alerts to people subscribed to your thread/bump it in the forums better.

Much better direction though, keep it up, man!
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Hey Theo, is this still in a 3D package? I'd definitely work on getting it into your engine of choice as soon as possible, will help with lighting/mood. Also at this stage I'd maybe think about blocking out, quite roughly, what will be where etc. Just a simple boxy chair for the throne, or whatever, etc. Will help with getting your composition and feel right.

Also btw I'd just post again with new work rather than using the edit post function, that way it will trigger alerts to people subscribed to your thread/bump it in the forums better.

Much better direction though, keep it up, man!

Thanks!

Yeah at the moment all the shots have been from Maya cause I've been working on my personal macbook so no UDK unfortunately, I'll be using Uni computers as of next week though, which do have UDK installed, so I'll have some engine screenshots soon.

I wasn't sure of Polycount's rules on double-posting but I'll definitely do that from now on, thanks man :)
  • Nheerph
    Looking cool man. I know what you mean when you say it actually looks like its on a ship now cause I see that too. Keep it up :)
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some progress on my scene - specifically, finally importing it into UDK! There are some seams that need fixing and the lighting is, of course, a placeholder.

Please excuse the poor pic quality

Feb19th1.jpg

Feb19th2.jpg

Feb19th3.jpg
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally decided to join everyone else in the 21st century... I'm building my scene in UE4!

All feedback is appreciated. I've still gotta get the hang of making realistic, believable lighting. Also I think I may have overdone it with the metallic/roughness on the bomb and goblet. Thoughts??

Again please excuse the poor pic quality, I've not gotten round to making an account on a decent hosting site.

March3rd1.JPG

March3rd2.JPG

March3rd3.JPG
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    QUICK UPDATE: I had to remake the whole scene so far cause the file got wiped (computer network at my Uni is crap). Here it is, remade, with slightly different lighting. I've also applied a normal map to the floor.

I've also begun to model some other stuff but I need to pick up the pace if I hope to finish it in time. More pictures to come this weekend.

[IMG][/img]March13th_zpsikopqooe.jpg
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done a load more work this week including making a rug, importing the candelabra, fixing the messed up floor normal map (mostly) and modelling some more stuff.

March17th1_zpsg0nqrngh.jpg

March17th2_zpso0y8j1rx.jpg

Heres a pic of my personal favourite model so far. Its got 2 varieties, a corked model and a candle model which uses emissive textures. Its also got normal and roughness maps applied :)

March17th3_zpsm1b2zwr8.jpg

Gonna start to model the throne soon.
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates:

Made a low-poly pirate flag today.

March18th1_zpsd66n6eso.jpg

March18th2_zpss5lrgigl.jpg

March18th3_zpshs716dl9.jpg

Scene is really starting to come together now I think. Most of my models are still just block-colour textures so I need to get round to hand painting all the textures and add a few more things models in too. Throne modelling begins next week, all my models so far have been under 1000 tris, aiming for under 1500 for the throne :)
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

I've modelled my throne and block-colour textured it.

xpwOjUr.jpg

49T3FaQ.jpg

U9TMvRz.jpg

Now I'm baking the normal map, fully texturing it and texturing a few other final objects. I won't have access to UE4 over the weekend so tomorrow is crunch time for me. Gotta get it done by tomorrow night!
  • TheoClarke
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd make one last post to show my final scene, including the pictures that I cut from my submission post, so here they are! :)

I0LhBmI.jpg

TtLCsbR.jpg

tiVSML4.jpg

K9H2gOA.jpg

psX3NLJ.jpg

R7WBcE0.jpg

nloPyYN.jpg

HGnSp8Z.jpg

HhGtwcs.jpg