Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monster Concepts!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
Hello Everyone I have a few monster concepts here that will be modeled in 3d later and was just looking for any critique before I co to the next step. If I should add anything, delete or just completely start over etc. And if so we only need 3 of them I would like to know which ones you guys favor?

Thanks

Replies

• MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there, Nicko. I've been looking at these and I think it's a good start. A couple things come to mind, which I guess relate to one point- Your designs haven't convinced me these monsters are going to function well.

1. In 2007, Game Informer had a cover story where they interviewed the makers of Fallout 3. Something from that interview stood out in my mind and still governs how I think about building monsters, buildings, props and everything else. One of the artists mentioned how they wanted everything to look completely functional. The artist said that if they put a button somewhere, they imagined a purpose for it. They tried to make sure that everything went to something else or served a purpose. I don't know how accurately that proved to be in the final game, but I always strive for things to make as much sense as possible in my own work.

2. Terryl Whitlatch came and lectured at my school a while ago. She mentioned one of her pet peeves was when people built creatures that were completely unfit for the enviroment they lived in, such as having the wrong kind of fur in hot climates or impractically placed wings or limbs that wouldn't help the creature find food. While my understanding of biology is nowhere near as advanced as hers, it still influenced me and I try to be careful with the monsters I build now- Is there enough muscle to support the weight in this area? Is this creature going to be balanced realistically? Can it even move the way I put it together? Just some things to think about.

I think 7 is my favorite, but after considering these things I offer a suggestion:

I think the eye is cool. If this were being developed for a videogame as a monster you'd fight, though, I do wonder about that eye. I think you could leave it right where it is, but perhaps change the monster's attitude (so he hunches over to protect it a little more) or his body (Like giving him a big meaty "Shield" arm that he leads with to give more protection to his weak spot). The environment it lives in and the sorts of things it catches for food might also be good questions to ask yourself as you refine the design.
    Sometimes monsters just need to be weird, cartoony or silly but I think that doing your best to add weight and realism (in all but the most esoteric of situations) can work in your favor. I think the other monsters you showed have potential as well, but maybe just move some masses around or keep each monster's feel consistent throughout. Hope that helps!
  • nicko_the_great
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicko_the_great polycounter lvl 9
    Actually you've helped out a lot, So Im guessing #4 and #7 are your most preferable? For the eye monster I'll def go into the suggestions of something to protect that eye. As for the their environment they would mostly be found in caves and dungeons. But thanks a bunch Im checking out Terryl Whitlatch right now as I type this lol. If there are 2 others you consider has more potential please do tell
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Nicko,

I think it's good that you're doing multiple iterations, but I think you should do much more before you try and pick a final piece. Some teachers will make students draw a subject hundreds of times in thumbnail form before he'll accept a final selection of preliminary designs. I think to step forward you need to focus on the large overall shape, convincing anatomy, and some thought into how the creature moves, how it eats, and how it lives in it's environment.

Some awesome tutorials specifically on designs and building good shapes are here by Paul Richards:

Find The Design
    Visual Remix
    Wield and Weld

Good luck!