Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Streamside AR8" - fictional vintage race car (with Unity webplayer)

Hi ya good people of polycount!

Thought I'd start a thread now that I got this project done. I'm really bad at documenting my progress as I go but I'll try to include the most important milestones here. I'll kick off with a few 3DO renders.

streamside_ar8___front_right_angle_by_ollite20-d8aru1z.png
streamside_ar8___rear_top_left_angle_by_ollite20-d8aw5dd.png
streamside_ar8___rear_right_low_angle_by_ollite20-d8aw5ou.png

The initial idea was to just model an interesting object and then call it done. I got inspired by a photo of a race car fitted with a radial engine so I went with that. The reference image is lower down on this post. This is the engine at 600k tris, ibl clay material and rendered in mental ray.
radial_8_engine___clay_renders_by_ollite20-d7k78e8.jpg

After that, I got the idea to try making a game model "hero asset" and try normal map baking. I hadn't done any of that before so this turned into a learning project as well. And then the whole project started expanding.

Since I was already going ahead with all the normal maps I thought I'd add some more detail using nDo2 which I had used a bit at work. I'm actually quite proud on how the engine front cover engraving turned out.
ifZil32.jpg

Next up was trying out the Quixel DDO trial on texturing the engine. Such a fun way of working and I definitely left me wanting to try it out on another project later on!

It took friggin' ages to the normal map bakes on the first parts I did. Engine ended up having 15k tris after the normal map bakes.
[IMG]http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/171/8/3/radial_8___game_model_by_ollite20- d7n6zeo.jpg[/IMG]

Like I mentioned earlier the project started expanding and just having an engine didn't feel enough so I decided to create something around it and started gathering interesting reference photos. I liked the aesthetics of the 1930's grand prix racers with the exposed steering, suspension and wheels so I went with that as the main theme.

I had had the main inspiration photo for the engine on my hard drive for a long while before starting on modeling the engine. (The car is the 1935 Monaco Trossi which I later found out was horrible to drive because of the brutal front-heavy weight distribution.)
O3pf2x8.jpg

Everything is arranged onto one texture sheet and textured in Quixel Suite. Not fully satisfied with some of the materials in there but that'll do. The project file somehow got corrupted at some point so the only way to edit the materials would be to do them all over again. Textures' size is 4096x4096.

Most important ones. There's AO and opacity too but they're not that interesting to look at so I'll leave those out for now.
faz5Oag.jpg
feHnw6D.jpg

Just the mesh (3D0):
a51gN5i.jpg

Mesh + normal map (3D0):
fPZ223H.jpg

Mesh + normals + spec + gloss (3D0):
Kkza7wC.jpg

Everything (3D0):
lvystRr.jpg

With UVs (3D0):
cPdcWUZ.jpg

It's been a long but fun project and I've learned a lot while working on this. Many firsts in this for me. The seat leather wrinkles and the cloth wrapped around the exhaust within the engine bay, among other things mentioned, are my first try at sculpting as well. Sure, there's still a few things I'm not 100% satisfied but I gotta move on. I'm itching to start a new project. (Yeh, it's going to be another car.)

Seeing as I've already spent so much time on this one I wanted to have it viewable in real-time 3d as well so I took the extra task of learning how to build it for Unity webplayer. Since this was my first time with Unity, I used one of the example projects for the most part but I did try to add some of my own elements in there though. Maybe I should get into programming a bit more... I got some ideas for my next project that I'd like to try producing.

Link to Unity webplayer: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21585227/Public.html
It's 149MB.

I'd be keen to hear (read) any comments and criticism you might have.

Bonus pic (which I posted in the WAYWO some time at the end of 2014). 3D0+Photoshop.
streamside_ar8_gp___old_post_race_photo_by_ollite20-d8a5qg8.jpg