Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Josh's Character Art Thread

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Joshmjc polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys so I've just started my first year at the University Of Hertfordshire, and just finished my first semester. And I'm aspiring to be a character artist for games / or films.

Below is some of the work I've done so far along with the current mini-project I'm on to learn anatomy/ creating stylized characters. Any feedback what so ever would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

joshua-cann-xg8s4ov.jpg?1416868474

The project below was my last and main project of the semester. It's a replica of Dan Luvisi's Last man standing Gabriel funko toy.

SoJNF3P.jpg?1
XOwnQDH.jpg

And this is my current W.I.P, seeing as I have a week break until the next semester starts.
LQ2lvAr.jpg?1

Replies

• s_babb
    I love the little guy in the helmet! Why no scratches on the final render (like in the sculpt above it)?
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    s_babb wrote: »
    I love the little guy in the helmet! Why no scratches on the final render (like in the sculpt above it)?

Thanks a lot, it got to the last moment of deadline and the normal maps messed up and were displaying incorrectly. Forcing me to hand in something without the scratches...
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on him a little more today, Any pointers with anatomy?
    Still need to work on the back and is the chest looking fine? It looks a bit off to me?, from the side view anyway.

sm6QSQY.png
    SMtpRWg.png?1
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I don't mean to be overly politically correct or anything but the pointed hood is a little reminiscent of a klu klux klan outfit.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    I'd focus on nailing some bigger shapes on that torso first. You've got the pecs and individual sections of the abs in there, but the primary shapes of the rib cage, shoulder girdle and pelvic crest aren't as clearly defined. Especially in the lower back and around the shoulders, I think the boney landmarks are to vague which can prevent you from resolving the muscle flow.
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be overly politically correct or anything but the pointed hood is a little reminiscent of a klu klux klan outfit.

Ok so that definitely wasn't my plan, ill remove that specifically, along with all the other clothing until i get my anatomy correct

Jaco wrote: »
    I'd focus on nailing some bigger shapes on that torso first. You've got the pecs and individual sections of the abs in there, but the primary shapes of the rib cage, shoulder girdle and pelvic crest aren't as clearly defined. Especially in the lower back and around the shoulders, I think the boney landmarks are to vague which can prevent you from resolving the muscle flow.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll lower the resolution on dynamesh and block in more forms today, was only going to be a bust but I'll just push it further.

Thanks guys!
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    So I scrapped it again, and wanted to focus on anatomy instead of stylizing my work. Still trying to wrap my head around all the anatomy.

9Ntbp54.png?1
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the character so far, still blocking in. It's went through quite a few iterations.
    0mk6PFX.png?1
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently working on this which is my first hand painted character and it would be great to get some critiques on it.
    I need to fix the checker panel as it's currently too bright forcing it to be the focal point.

VYgvDqP.png
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    as for your handpainted character,. I'm not sure what it is. I like the colors you chose. It looks like there's a line going thru he brown cylinder though. Methinks that wasn't intentional, but i've been wrong before.
    I really like its face. is it supposed to be a mechanical chair/gun creature?
  • Joshmjc
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 wrote: »
    as for your handpainted character,. I'm not sure what it is. I like the colors you chose. It looks like there's a line going thru he brown cylinder though. Methinks that wasn't intentional, but i've been wrong before.
    I really like its face. is it supposed to be a mechanical chair/gun creature?

Hey, sorry it took me so long to respond, I completely forgot about polycount with all these deadlines. The middle line was intentional as I was working from a concept by gimaldinov.

Here's an update of some practices and my final model for the hand in.
    Because it was such a short deadline I decided to mirror everything which I regret massively. Oh well.

?format=300w

Robot_thumbnail.png?format=300w

9rxPpAk.png

And this is the concept I used from Gimaldinov -
    mech_by_gimaldinov-d7krnmb.png?format=500w