Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - A Cook's Rickshaw - #13 Tokyo Rose

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
luthyn polycounter lvl 8
Hey!

So for this one, thebeardedberry and I are teaming up (team #13 Tokyo Rose). We're both gonna try and make this happen after work and on weekends. We've been in the industry for a few years and have been trying to set aside time for personal projects.

Our idea is to create a kind of 'poor mans' throne based in an Chinese hutong (alleyway basically). Hutongs are generally very narrow with a plethora of different materials and junk thrown everywhere. We are thinking of having an out of service rickshaw be the main part of the throne, and over time our 'king' (lets call him Bob) has formed it into this kind of home away from home.

You see, Bob is a cook at a local Beijing dumpling joint, and has found himself down on his luck. With a family to support and a bad gambling habit, Bob's only respite is his wonderful rickshaw. It has become the seat upon which he dreams his grandest dreams and pines after his wild love affair, Tokyo Rose. All of this, we want to share with you.

We would also like to thank all the wonderful citizens of Beijing for giving us so much inspiration for this on a daily basis. :D

Softwares we will be using include:
Maya
ZBrush
Substance Designer
Marvelous Designer
Photoshop
UE4

We are excited, and can't wait to see what everyone makes! Good luck, and we hope everyone has fun!

Mood boards to come tomorrow, and a block out too (maybe Berry?).

Replies

• TheBeardedBerry
    luthyn wrote: »
    Mood boards to come tomorrow, and a block out too (maybe Berry?).

Haha, I think we can handle that. :)
  • Xyniph
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyniph polycounter lvl 12
    Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing how it goes! Trying to decide if I have the time to enter this myself.
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys!

Quick update for today. We have our mood board set up as well as a healthy start on the block out :).

5aIS37Y.png

As you can see, we are going with a pretty saturated red for the rickshaw (appropriate weathering in places of course). We are thinking of having it be broken in almost every functional sense - wheels are busted or missing, roof is torn and broken in sections, seat has been well loved and repaired over long years of use and weather abuse.

As for the lighting, we are going to have our scene set at night, with the main area around the throne being pretty saturated - warm tones with some green (?) bounce lighting. Purple and blue shadows. And as you get further away from the throne, everything will desaturate a bit. Help make the throne that much more special.

Here's an idea of what that will look like:

ibyn3Pq.png
    4pzEgU3.png

Tomorrow we will have this ported over to engine with a more solid lighting pass.

Let us know what you think so far :).