Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized dagger - but then, not quite?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

Sculpted this dagger (concept by vavilov konstantin), supposed to be stylized textures, but then I tried substance painter, and it was so much fun that the dagger ended up being far from what I set out to do, because I couldn't stop myself.

Do any of you know of stylized models, with detailed/"realistic" textures, where it actually works? Would like to see examples of it :)

3_zps1c387068.jpg

Replies

• KellyCuccaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyCuccaro polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, you should definitely check out http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135431 if you have not done so already. It's a prime example of a PBR stylized prop (in this case a dagger, like yours), there's even a download for the model and the textures. This model is also based off of the same concept artist that you are referencing from. :) Coincidence!

I think yours is coming a long so far, however I'm having some trouble reading what kind of material the blue part is. Is it cloth? Also if the yellow parts are supposed to be gold, then I think it might be too yellow looking.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, Kelly! Oh yeah, remember seeing that one. Thank you for the link :) Not just the same artist, but the same concept sheet, even! Horrible :D
    I will do a new version of it, with much simpler textures.

I think it is cloth, yes. I completely agree that it doesn't read well. Any ideas how to improve it? Maybe those hard creases aren't helping.
  • KellyCuccaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyCuccaro polycounter lvl 5
    I found the concept you were basing from to try and get a better idea of what that blue part is, but it's still hard to tell lol. :poly122: I think that's really going to be a judgement call for you on what kind of material you would like it to be. It could even just be some kind of leather or stone lol I have no clue honestly. If anything, I think the part where it wraps under the blade could stand to be a bit thinner. Sorry I'm not much help!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    You are right, that would improve it instantly, to thin down that bit. hopefully I can get away with just tweaking the lp :) Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It means a lot to me :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I tried simplifying it, but the bakes and HP wasnt good enough to get away from it.
    So, I just deleted everything but the blockout colors, and turned it into a whimsical diorama instead, to close this project asap :p
    Going to join the throne room challenge instead.

4_zps7d9f78f6.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are those grass blades rough cone meshes?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Jade,

Yeah, the knife and tree stump are "real" game meshes, whereas the grass, ground and roots are just quickly thrown together models with vertex colors to create this diorama. The grass is 3 sided cones, yes.