Home General Discussion

Best approach in Anatomy Study?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
Since I started modeling I have always had this preference towards character modeling.
Even though I was not that bad,I feel like I could become even better if I managed to learn anatomy.

I have some videos from Scott Eaton that I found online,but I wanted to see what would be the best way to learn it.

I dont know what is in those videos,but from what I have seen around the forum some people draw bones,muscles...while other use zbrush/mudbox and sculpt.
I am leaning more towards sculpting cuz it's 3D so it's kind of easier to visualise.

I want to learn it the fastest way possible.
How hard is it to learn anatomy trough videos and self exploration?
How should I pace myself?1-3 hours a day?

If I sculpt my way trough the anatomy,will I gain more knowledge for drawing as well?

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Anatomy is more a knowledge than a skill. Skills with tools are what determine if you can make what you know/visualize.

Anatomy Knowledge: This muscle looks like this from the front, and it blends into this muscle here and yada yada.
    Sculpting Skills: Best to use this brush for this part here, let me mask this area out, and lower the z intensity a bit, sculpt it here, and smooth this lightly, then switch to move brush and adjust the form a bit here and there, and then, etc etc.

You see, they are different part. Now, most people who are struggling with Anatomy, me included, are lacking the Anatomy Knowledge part. That's why reference is very very important. It fills the gap. But it doesn't fill the skills. You still have to know how to use the tools.

And if you have the knowledge, then it doesn't matter which tools you use (sculpt, pencil, clay, marble) as long as you know how to use that tools. The knowledge is global.

For anatomy, Ryan Kingslien is my go to guy.
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Anatomy is more a knowledge than a skill. Skills with tools are what determine if you can make what you know/visualize.

Anatomy Knowledge: This muscle looks like this from the front, and it blends into this muscle here and yada yada.
    Sculpting Skills: Best to use this brush for this part here, let me mask this area out, and lower the z intensity a bit, sculpt it here, and smooth this lightly, then switch to move brush and adjust the form a bit here and there, and then, etc etc.

You see, they are different part. Now, most people who are struggling with Anatomy, me included, are lacking the Anatomy Knowledge part. That's why reference is very very important. It fills the gap. But it doesn't fill the skills. You still have to know how to use the tools.

And if you have the knowledge, then it doesn't matter which tools you use (sculpt, pencil, clay, marble) as long as you know how to use that tools. The knowledge is global.

For anatomy, Ryan Kingslien is my go to guy.

Yes,I am aware that it's not really a skill and I dont have much problem with skill I guess.
    I modeled some characters before,but the problem is that they were all anime.
    You can check my gallery and blog here http://www.moddb.com/members/blackdragonstory
    Till now I was using 3ds max for modeling,but when I see all those awesome sculpts I want to do something like that.

I havent used zbrush a lot and yea there is quite a lot of stuff I still dont know,but I can learn that before learning anatomy or do both at the same time.
    2 birds with 1 stone.

I will definetly check out that guy.
    I noticed he has a book,does he also do online videos for anatomy study?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    for anatomy a 50/50 mix is good.
    you need to learn the theory, but without practise the theory is useless and vice versa.

so my advice would be to learn about a bodypart and then practice drawing and sculpting it.
    and then just work your way up to bigger and more complex shapes. i would save the head for last, cause that one is as important as the rest of the body combined.

theres a lot of good, free reference out there, problem is that if you are starting out you obviously dont know the difference between good and bad reference, and there is also a lot of bad reference out there.

so ryan kingslien is good, scoot eaton is very awesome too.
    but don't expect to master anatomy in 2 months, it will take some time. just be patient and keep on practicing.

another tip would be to incorporate livedrawing once you have the basics down. learning how to quickly block out shapes in 2D will help you focus on whats important in 3D too, plus it will give you a nice feeling for realistic proportions and perspective.
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    for anatomy a 50/50 mix is good.
    you need to learn the theory, but without practise the theory is useless and vice versa.

so my advice would be to learn about a bodypart and then practice drawing and sculpting it.
    and then just work your way up to bigger and more complex shapes. i would save the head for last, cause that one is as important as the rest of the body combined.

theres a lot of good, free reference out there, problem is that if you are starting out you obviously dont know the difference between good and bad reference, and there is also a lot of bad reference out there.

so ryan kingslien is good, scoot eaton is very awesome too.
    but don't expect to master anatomy in 2 months, it will take some time. just be patient and keep on practicing.

another tip would be to incorporate livedrawing once you have the basics down. learning how to quickly block out shapes in 2D will help you focus on whats important in 3D too, plus it will give you a nice feeling for realistic proportions and perspective.

I will give it a try your way,but I will also check those videos I meantioned and what PyrZern mentioned.
    By drawing you mean just redrawing the reference images of a body part and then sculpt?

I will definetly try to find good references.
    Till now I used this page https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy.php .

I am not too sure what is live drawing?
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to draw, draw construction, forms, gesture, that kind of stuff will help you
    look at Charles Bargue, Gottfried Bammes and Andrew Loomis books.
    +1 for Scott Eaton too, he is just the right guy for the job.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Anatomy is more a knowledge than a skill.

Knowledge is a necessary component of skill. Don't get caught up with treating it like studying for a test. Nothing will beat the actual act of drawing/sculpting from life (or photo). At a higher level, a lot of it is quite instinctive. Similar to how a professional boxer doesn't think about the knowledge (technique) of throwing a punch.

Find reference of a model, and replicate it. Don't stylize, look at the model and recreate the forms exactly as they are. The moment you start to stylize it pollutes the critiquing process since the work becomes less objective.

Also, your question about live drawing. I assume you meant "life drawing". life drawing is a drawing of the human figure from observation of a live model. If you can't take a figure drawing class, then the next best thing is drawing from photos.
  • Hawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anytime someone asks me about anatomy I point them toward this book: ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer. It comes with a DVD that has video lessons to go along with each chapter. Don't be scared off by the Frank Frazetta style used for the cover model. The examples used in the pages are based on normal human proportions they are only slightly exaggerated in the final product. The only downside is the focus on a male model only.

A great companion to this book is ZBrush Studio Projects: Realistic Game Characters by Ryan Kingslien. Though it isn't as detailed, it focuses on a female model and gives a great alternative to the methods shown in the first book I mentioned. Also, they go into making realistic clothing for models which is a plus.

The first project I tackled in Zbrush was from this book. It took me about a month to finish in my spare time while working full time. The knowledge in this book can be applied to any 3d sculpting program, if your familiar enough with it.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    My suggestion is that as a very first step, you should learn all the names of the bones and muscles, as well as important landmarks.

That may sound incredibly boring and not really necessary to making art. However, knowing these names will be insanely helpful when trying to absorb any resource on anatomy. For instance, it will allow you to listen to a Scott Eaton lecture without constantly going like: "Huh? Whazzat? What's he talking about now?"
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    This is a blog by an anatomy artist, and she shares a lot of information:
    http://anatomyproartifex.blogspot.com

I'm also studying anatomy and I try to collect as many resources as possible. For the sake of progress, I also focus on each body part only when I get to it in a piece: if I'm drawing a hand, I'll study on the anatomy and expressive range for hands, then proceed to the next part etc.
    This way you learn with each piece that you produce.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there is no special secret, no magic formula, no words that will make this happen for you quicker or easier than anybody else.

you just need to do three things.
    1. OBSERVE
    2. REPLICATE
    3. REPEAT
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am learning anatomy myself and I follow almighty_gir steps.

While observing I am using different anatomy books on my table and on pc. Also I have got some anatomical sculpts and I place them near my sculpting and constantly checking if my proportions are correct. Also I have scanned human model in front of my model which also helps me a lot. And just yesterday I got printed anatomical model which gives me a bit extra understanding. It is always easier to understand things when you can touch them. The more I observe and sculpt the more I remember and for the next project I can sculpt faster and I dont need that much references because it is in my head. Also I can experiment with what I know and create some cartoonish anatomy which is based on my real anatomy knowledge

PS. I also compleated an anatomy learning course by Michael Hampton at CGMA which was very useful. It will show you the proper why of learnign anatomy with pencil.

http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/michael-hampton-bio.html

anatomical sculpt I use as reference by Zack Petroc :

http://www.zackpetroc.com/skeleton-and-muscles-of-the-body/

scanned human model from ten24:

http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=584

printed anatomical model :

https://shop.3dtotal.com/figures/anatomy-figure/male-figure.html
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will try all of your suggestions.
    First I will finish watching Scott Eaton videos.
    So far I know quite a lot more on proportions.

Tnx guys :)