Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Level Up! session 57 Discussion !

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
Hello

i want to know what you guys think about the last level up session with shaddy safadi , if you didn't watch it . go now ! it's really worth watching .
if you don't have the time , just read this :

and i want to know what you guys think about using tools to achieve the final concept . like using 3d , daze to make characters , keyshot , zbrush , and using real photos on the concept , and you don't really should have great painting skills to do that , the only thing you should know is the fundamentals . the great thing about using new tools is the fast process and the results are awesome . but some people don't want to do that , they want to stick to painting every sing details and fell guilty about using real photos or 3d in their work . example : two artist want to do a concept like those in last far cry , those big mountains and stuff . so the first one is going to decide to paint everything and that's going to take a lot of time and you really need amazing skills to make a good piece of art . the other artist is going to do a little sketch and go to some program like vue or something and make awesome mountains or use real photos and put them in the final concept , the results are going to amazing and will be al ot of time left to fix stuff and for changes . and like i said the results are going to be better than the piece the first guy did . and like you see it's not fair battle .
and now when you are doing a still life or something , you feel like you are wasting your time , it's fun to do , but that's not what you should be doing because that's not how thing work now .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wN4GYIx12o[/ame]

Replies

• Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    I saw that episode the other day,there where a lot of naked italian guys,wtf... xD That guy is too fun,relly enjoyable episode :)

I think everyone should do it the way he/she wants,if is only about taking the idea out and the finished piece done in the least ammount of time,then go for the "cheats",if it's about you as an artist taking pride from the fact that you can render a mountain almost good as the one from the photo just using your hand as a tool, then go for it as well!
    If the standards of the industry require an artist to use the cheats in order to stay competitive, probably either he/she adapts to that or if can't, find another job and keep the drawing as an hobby :)

I personally don't have to face that dilemma yet because I don't even have the fundamentals so "cheating" would severely impair me as an artist,and even in the future I kind of plan to do 3d as job and keep 2d for myself,not a thing I do for others in exchange of money :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I think the big thing to keep in mind with photobashing is that it locks you in to more realistic style, and it takes control out of the artists hands.

The beauty of creating everything from scratch is that you have control over every pixel in the image. I think this is useful for design purposes, and anything stylized. Photobashing has it's place, and that's in creating realistic details that work, in a fast efficient manner, i don't think it really is that effective in strong iconic design however.

The Michael Bay's transformers are a result of this photobashing approach to conceptart. Compare that to something elegant like say Iron man.
    Those are two extremes but it does exaggerate the differences between the methods.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't watched the episode, but that sounds a lot like 'The tool defines the outcome.' - which I personally think is bs.
    It does absolutely not matter what tool you use. How awesome the mountains will look in the end is decided by 'How good of a designer is the person creating it.' In case the person using Vue is shit at design Vue won't get him no where. The AD will pick the one thats a better design. You can make a very nice looking sketch of anything within 2hrs in Photoshop and take it from there. The Vue guy won't be that much faster.
    And as Muzz is saying, it all has its place. I would not dare to say this or this method is better! Its so dependent on the artist and what he / she likes.
  • nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    What I took away from that session was that provided that you have great foundations, painting skills, and design sense, you then can create something pretty awesome with more tools/options presented. It doesn't mean that the other method is obsolete, it just means it serves as an underpainting/sketch.

The difference is that you will need all that solid foundation/painting skill/design to polish it into a cohesive piece. It's almost like working in reverse and pushing back and simplifying all that detail/noise that you would have from all of these "cheats". Like Muzz said it is relevant for different things, and not all studios would really look for that style that Shaddy is pushing for.

Overall I like what i learned from that session, it gives me some insight on how other professionals approach a concept. Also to counter your still-life comment, I still think it's relevant to learn lighting and form which only strengthens foundations hence producing more convincing results with the "cheatiness".