Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragongirl - Portfolio piece

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
AgelosAp polycounter
I started making this awesome character by Geoff Trebs like a week ago,
almost settled my mind on doing a level of detail close to that of Dota.

Any critique will be really helpful, thanks for viewing!

nSjr0fH.jpg
rFvbc8s.jpg

**********Latest Update***********
LDZbeA0.jpg

Replies

• alifarsangi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alifarsangi polycounter lvl 9
    great start ! i like the way that u modeled long hair in her back ! keep it up !
  • APiotrW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APiotrW polycounter lvl 10
    Really good but I think you should redo the face. It doesn´t match the concept very well
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    the proportions are wrong. you ve made her with more realistic proportions while the concept is exaggerated. her head should be smaller, her tits a little smaller, her hips wider.
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    I agree with ApiotrW, the face should be reworked. Notice in the concept that the face is rather 'shallow', the brow doesn't stick out nearly as much as your sculpt, and the cheeks and nose are understated. You can deviate from the concept a little I think but currently the face feels a little off. Great work otherwise!
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Thank you all for your feedback,

I tried following most of it and pushed some of the proportions
    and made some big changes to the face.

The previous one also had the eyelids semi-closed for texturing purposes
    and really didn't help :P.

If anyone has more comments on this stage I 'll be glad to hear it once more.

xo52xix.gifAuyamlS.gif
  • Lloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be worth taking a small step back and leave the wrapping and hair out if you'd like feedback on her face? That would make it easier for us to take a look at the facial structure and comment on that :)

I like where this is going though :)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I agree, I see some anatomy issues on both the face and the body. I would actually go back to her base nude and fix stuff before moving on.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Lloth & slosh

Thanks guys, yeah I see what you meant, I got carried away with the armor and stuff the underlying anatomy was pretty terrible.

So I redid most of it, biggest change is the hands and then the face which I redid from scratch.

I can still see the face is off so going to work more on that, but if anyone has any other comments, I 'll gladly read them.

v1uXhrr.gif
    xtbzoZ1.jpg
    VKI5npC.jpg
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    She has a very mousy and malnourished face. I would give her some more definition if I was you ;)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah she looks... dead. You should rework the eyes, make her cute like on the concept.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Did some work on the face as advised, and moved on as I need to wrap this up soon.
    I 'm thinking if I should change the solid hair with textured planes or better invest my time working more on the textures?
    b7nChd4.jpg
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Seeing as how the rest is fairly realistic, I think you should try alpha planes for hair and see how that works for ya.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @SuperFranky: thx, I went with alpha planes although not much refined yet!

Since everything went more realistic than what I had in mind when I started
    I took the opportunity to check out Substance Painter and redid everything besides the skin.

LcHLDpO.jpg
    There is quite some difference in Marmoset compared to SP viewport, although I 've checked on and off the sRGB and invert options as necessary...dunno :/ everything comes off more glossy in Marmoset.
    Is the export to Unreal more accurate since it has a preset?

Also here is an error I get only in Marmo and I can't figure out why...
    mwesLoK.gif
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Roughness/Gloss should have SRGB off, I've noticed marmoset is ever so slightly different but not as much as your GIF. What do your maps look like? If your editing them in photoshop do you have SRGB enabled in the gamma options?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Speaking to the character as a whole figure, I think something to force a brighter value at the top as opposed to the bottom will bring concentrated focus to her face. Whether this gets done through a specular map, AO, etc, up to you.

Can't fault you necessarily for the boob window design, as sexually hot as that is, but man this character is looking GREAT besides that! Would really like to see your texture flats at some point to see what you did.

Also, your normal error MIGHT be fixeable based on the menu settings.

Edit > Preferences > Content subwindow > Default Tangent Space > Choose the format you made the normals for

See if that fixes it.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I actually preferred your first past textures before you redid the armor in substance. Honestly, all of the armor just looks like flat colors to me. Your first render of the textures had way better looking metals. In any case, while not bad, I still think the face could use work.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    @Dave Jr: seems I just overlooked the reflection option and had it on Anisotropy >.> switched to GGX and everything is almost the same as SP

@Brian "Panda" Choi: Thanks man, I 'm trying to seperate the materials as you said it all blends too much together, except adding a bunch of layers gradient saturation and values, I 've added the two paint stripes on the shoulders but it doesn't look too good, will have to try more stuff.

@slosh: I get what you re saying, I probably need to invest more time in the bulk metal material as I 've gone and took care too much of the details and scratches which barely read on a body shot. I m having a really hard time with the face, I have done it 2 times from scratch and a bunch more revisions, I 'm not sure if it's worth doing again or not since I can't seem to get it right.

>>right reflections<<
    pUtRd1k.jpg
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I once again switched the face completely and did a version without aspiring
    to being too close to the concept, but rather being more anatomically correct.
    Other than that I made the vertical gradient stronger on the armor and the skin, to make the face pop a little.

Thanks to all who provided feedback up to now,
    and of course if anyone has more suggestions I 'll gladly hear it.

LDZbeA0.jpg
    iZDBwCX.jpg
    VQJN4bE.jpg