Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Kitchen

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, the December Noob Challenge thread is dead now without much activity, hence the new post! I'm hoping to get some crits and advice on what I can do on this model, or just in general what I can do to improve on for my next 3D project! I learnt a ton on this, but i'm almost ready to call it done. I'm just starting in the 3D scene so any advice is gold :)

I went for a handpainted image and built it in UE4. The only thing I used normals for was the middle table and the floor. I did find the concept image to be a bit odd lighting wise and somewhat unrealistic, I wasn't able to recreate it exactly as it is in the image. Here is a link to the concept
Concept

6ur1fLW.png

L84GUM1.png

Replies

• Dmellott
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello Holly!

Definitely off to a good start! I took the liberty to scratch down a few things that stuck out to me the most.

[IMG][/img]2TqhtNW.png

I think some of these issues could be solved by getting a dedicated camera set up in-engine. I can see that you have your gizmo up and the unfortunate thing about not having a dedicated camera is that it can get difficult to really estimate the depth and scale of objects while you are modeling and arranging them within the scene.

My suggestion would be to go ahead and set up a camera with as close of a perspective and angle as you can possibly get to the original concept and see what isn't matching up. Perhaps once you have done that, overlay your render and the concept and see what is off.

Lastly, the rock flooring is looking a bit too smooth. In the concept this looks like old slate stone and that type of rock will have lots of chips and harder edges to it. I am no rock aficionado however so take it with a grain of salt.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if my feedback doesn't make any sense. Also, please forgive my god-awful handwriting haha!

Best,

-Dylan
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Dmellott, thanks for the feedback! Indeed the angle was a tough one. I believe I made a mistake when importing from 3dsmax also as everything seemed a lot more elongated than it did in my 3dsmax viewport (which I think was caused by me not exporting the right units..duh). I think I will have a re-shuffle of things and use the concept a lot more to get the angle right.

As for the rock, yeah I may as well revisit it in Zbrush and give it a bit more of a rocky feel.

Your image link isn't working, could you resend it?
  • Dmellott
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Holly,

I am terribly sorry for that! I uploading the image to my imgur and removed it after my post. It removed the image in here as well! Please forgive me aha! Should be good to go now.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgive you! XD Beast, thanks for the notes!
  • monkeymintaka
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Holly, good to see someone else still working on this! I'm still plodding along on mine :) I agree with Dmellott on the length of the room, but it could just be the perspective (FOV?), it looks like the items and furniture on the left are leaning back slightly. I am terrible with cameras though, so I just faked mine.
    Looking to seeing the finished project. I'm going to try to post mine in the December thread when I get something post-worthy.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    @Monkeymintaka Thanks! Yeah it was really tough. I'll keep my eye out for yours in the thread :)
  • WesleyArthur
    Wow this looks great! I love how much clutter there is.

I think the lighting could do with a bit more work, mainly to get more light in there and show off your assets.

I've never done a hand-painted project, but I've got a huge amount of respect for the technique. Nice work!
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much @wesleyarthur, you have amazing work so it means a lot!
  • WesleyArthur
    You're welcome! Thanks, and likewise!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey Holly,

Like what Dmellott said, get a camera in and get an image closer to the concept art. Currently the room looks way too long. Once you've got a shot similar to the concept it will be easier to crit your work. :)
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I agree about the FOV. You should move your camera back a bit and make the FOV smaller.
    Also most of the objects in the concept are a bit deformed. You should try to imitate that.