Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mark IV Tank

WhiskyDelta
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
WhiskyDelta polycounter lvl 6
Hi Peeps

Quick Post here on the latest hobby project i am working on. After the modelling the Ultra Modern Challenger 2 Theater Entry Specification i decided to do a 3D model of where it all began, and i intended it to be my very own, personal tribute to the Centenery of the Great War, the Mark IV Tank.

Still doing the High Poly at the moment, finished the tracks, sponsons and outer hull, now going onto the central hull section. Here is a couple of renders for you to be going along with.

All C and C welcome :)

Mark_IV_WIP_120115_01.jpg
Mark_IV_WIP_120115_02.jpg

Whisky

Replies

• Darkpainter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkpainter polycounter lvl 3
    Wow, very good model. like to see it with some textures :)
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shameless Bump with a few more renders! :)

Mark_IV_WIP_120115_03.jpg
    Mark_IV_WIP_120115_04.jpg

Whisky
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    get dis shit baked yo
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :)

Hopefully this weekend will see the high poly completed as i visited Bovington tank museum to get the final bits of Ref i needed! :thumbup:

Whisky
  • coresplendor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coresplendor polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice work. Only critc from me is that those steel tracks are what i can best describre as facing the 'wrong' direction. You have to rotate then, see the image i've attached and compare with yours, hopefuly you can understand what i'm saying. Keep it up!
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work. Only critc from me is that those steel tracks are what i can best describre as facing the 'wrong' direction. You have to rotate then, see the image i've attached and compare with yours, hopefuly you can understand what i'm saying. Keep it up!

Yep, i understand, and a very good spot! Next update will include the amendment

Whisky
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening All

High Poly now complete, now moving onto the Low Poly. Sponsons complete but not much to show Low Poly Wise, so here are a few renders of the completed HP

Mark_IV_WIP_290105_01.jpg
    Mark_IV_WIP_290105_02.jpg
    Mark_IV_WIP_290105_04.jpg

Whisky
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well...finally got the Mark IV baked and i am going to use this project to get my head around Substance Designer so may be a while before i feel confident enough to Post things up. Just a Normal Map with AO/ Cavity Maps used in gloss and spec slots to get something presentable out in ToolBag

MarkIV_LP_01.jpg
    MarkIV_LP_03.jpg
    MarkIV_LP_04.jpg

Whisky
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    That bake turned out excellent, i always wanted to model one of those, looking forward the finished product!
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz wrote: »
    That bake turned out excellent, i always wanted to model one of those, looking forward the finished product!

Cheers! I tried something new in 3D Max, which was bake to matched material ID's. meant i didn't get any overbaking of neighbouring objects so the Normal and AO bakes were really clean with no artifacting which was noticeable on this model.

STarted setting up SD, although i feel i want to use some of the same base metal textures i used in Photoshop to start off my material substances, and the use the various nodes to tweak, adjust and make all the other others. However, i feel this is a cheat as opposed to really learning SD by creating everything procedurally...any thoughts? Also i have been thinking about the wooden unditching beam and again i think using photo resource would be the way to go, as the end section is going to be a circular grain whereas the length is going to have latitudinal grains and i think a graph to do either justice would be so complex and time consuming when i could just use photo resource? Any ideas?
  • WhiskyDelta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening People

Been awhile since my last update. I have been getting to grips with Substance Designer. Awesome tool and i love the workflow! I originally started off with the Metalness/ Roughness workflow but i just couldn't get the result i wanted to reverted to Spec/ Gloss which was a real pain to change all of my graph and materials....but oh well....learning exercise and i am quite happy with the result. All C and C welcome.

MarkIV_LP_08.jpg
    MarkIV_LP_09.jpg
    MarkIV_LP_10.jpg
    MarkIV_LP_11.jpg

Whisky