Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My foray into purely digital concept art

I'd previously only really used Photoshop to colour in line drawings, but I've been branching out into actual digital painting over the last few months.

Here are some concepts inspired by The Worm Ouroboros (1922) by E.R. Eddison. All the faces are painted from references of some sort, which is why they tend to look better than the rest of the bodies. I'm working on that.

lord_juss_of_demonland_composite_by_spearhafoc-d8cwjp8.jpg

lady_mevrian_of_demonland_composite_by_spearhafoc-d8cviiy.jpg

esamocia_by_spearhafoc-d8cc505.jpg

goldry_bluszco_composite_by_spearhafoc-d8cc2yt.jpg

And, an environment, which is way out of my confort zone.

galing_castle_of_demonland__great_hall__version_2_by_spearhafoc-d8csl7m.jpg

My main problem with this one, I think, is that I was working from a very specific description from the book that had weird elements I found hard to work with (giant columns made out of single flawless jewels carved into the shapes of mythical monsters), which, combined with my lack of talent when it comes to backgrounds, made it very difficult to visualise.

That one made me realise that I need practice with scenery and architecture, so that's what I've been doing lately.

vampire_city__central_edifice__by_spearhafoc-d8clyfg.jpg

greater_helium__barsoom__by_spearhafoc-d8czstp.jpg

martian_landscape_with_thark_by_spearhafoc-d8d0wtm.jpg

thark_city_by_spearhafoc-d8d3lpn.jpg

thark_caravan_by_spearhafoc-d8d4pri.jpg

Obviously, I need a lot of improvement. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MykulJaxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MykulJaxin polycounter lvl 4
    Spearhafoc wrote: »
    My main problem with this one, I think, is that I was working from a very specific description from the book that had weird elements I found hard to work with (giant columns made out of single flawless jewels carved into the shapes of mythical monsters), which, combined with my lack of talent when it comes to backgrounds, made it very difficult to visualise.

I love this book, and love how you've visualized the story. I'd be curious to see how your stuff would be with a less air-brushy look (i.e., some harder lines?). Cool stuff. I would just say continue to refine your stuff.

As an aside, Have you read The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany?
  • Spearhafoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think I do suffer from a bit of airbrush-itus. I'll work on that in the future. I haven't read King of Elfland's Daughter, but I have heard of it. I generally stick to public domain works in my art, and unfortunately that falls on just the other side of it.

Oh, the last image in my post there, the Thark caravan from the John Carter books, has been updated. I was experimenting with photo-textures, which I had never used before, and decided to use a free lichen texture for the yellow moss-like vegetation from the book.

thark_caravan_by_spearhafoc-d8d4pri.jpg

Better? Worse?
  • Ganondork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, awesome pieces! Just a small thing about the third image down with the guy holding a schimitar and wearing the coloured feathers, his upper body seems to be about two thirds the width of his lower body, although the cloth disguises the right side so I could be wrong. Also the huge gold plate around his waist wouldn't be very practical as he would not be able to bend forwards. But yeah, apart from that cool work! :)
  • Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    My advice to you would be to try to tone down all the very shiny effects and really overstaturated colors. You have a very good sense of compositions and a decent sense of proportion, but it's ruined somewhat by the saturation problem and the cheap effects.
  • Spearhafoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to do a character (in this case John Carter from the Barsoom novels) using only the hard round brush, to get away from my airbrush addiction.

john_carter_of_mars_by_spearhafoc-d8dycdq.jpg

It's still pretty saturated. I'll try working on that too.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Spearhafoc, that last piece is a large improvement I feel. The forms are really coming through now and there feels like a legit lighting scheme, as before things just kind of looked lit, with some highlights on the front.

One critique that might help is the same I gave to another artist yesterday, concerning the value range of objects in certain lighting situations.:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2228000&postcount=7

Also, one thing that will help sell the painting is your cast shadow, right now it's just sitting under him, but the light is shining strongly from the right.

Keep it up! :)
  • Spearhafoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tars_tarkas_by_spearhafoc-d8evzqs.jpg

My take on Tars Tarkas of Thark from the Barsoom novels that I did yesterday instead of working on stuff I was supposed to do. I think this one's kind of hard to read, due to all the fiddly bits. And I'll definitely add lighting to the list of things I need to work on.
  • Spearhafoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back after a long break doing mostly fan art. Ahem.

Anyway, I still have a long way to go, but I think I've improved since I was gone.

Here's a redo of one of the ones I posted at the top:

great_hall_of_galing_castle__demonland_by_spearhafoc-d8xz527.jpg

Some more environment stuff:

carce_castle__witchland_by_spearhafoc-d8y7a9j.jpg

gate_of_jeddaks__helium_by_spearhafoc-d8ypqs5.jpg

And some recent character stuff:

lord_spitfire_of_demonland_by_spearhafoc-d8xfuv5.jpg

the_claw_by_spearhafoc-d8w5664.jpg

black_terror__cinematic__by_spearhafoc-d8v94qj.jpg

Any suggestions on moving forward?
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    These look like what i would think Craig Mullins would make when he was starting out. I would say thats probably a great thing :)
  • VShane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VShane polycounter lvl 6
    looks better without all the shine and gloss. moving forward , try hit up some anatomy books to get your proportions in check. then put your character on a clipping mask and throw on some form shadows to show off your form. think in big shapes, cylinders cubes etc. maybe go on ctrl paint and watch some of the digital paint videos

-V
  • Spearhafoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "try hit up some anatomy books to get your proportions in check."

Yeah, I've gone to a lot of life drawing/painting sessions in my life (like I said, my background is in traditional portraiture) but it's never really translated to me being able to make up bodies from scratch. For reference, here's some of my traditional figures:

juggling_woman_by_spearhafoc-d6ai7lk.jpg

two_figures_2_by_spearhafoc-d6ayds2.jpg

man_s_torso_by_spearhafoc-d6bsicm.jpg

life_drawing_body_by_spearhafoc-d6aiwtx.jpg

As you can see, I'm much better when I have something in front of me to work from. The same doesn't apply to working with photos and such, unfortunately, and I can't exactly get a model to pose for make in front of my computer.

Do you think anatomy books would help in a way that photos don't?