Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Power Girl

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
So, there was no definitive reason why I started modeling this character besides liking the new design and wanting to see if I could model a teen looking girl while using a new workflow process.

I never use my old models and often find myself recreating each character from the ground up. This time I used a model I built last month as the base. Saved me a lot of time. I just moved a bunch of vertices around to get the proportions close to the concept and then it was off to the clothing. This workflow also allowed me to focus more on the design of the character and less on the anatomy. Kind of kicking myself in the butt now for not doing this sooner. Noob move I guess.

Any how, feel free to leave any crits. Chances are I probably wont finish this completely but would love to know how I could improve on some things about her.

BY7cfB.jpg

concept:
nFFiQC.jpg

Replies

• Sammy101
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks cool but I dislike the new power girl. Other than that I like the 3D aspect. :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    looking forward to see more :)!
    this looks good so far!
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    looking good so far but there are a couple things I notice that could be changed. First, the face in side view looks pretty flat. Second, the muscle bulge at the bottom of the rib cage/dark part of the shirt seems a bit overly prominent in my opinion. In the concept it looks sharper as apposed to protruding more. I hope that makes some kind of sense. Regardless you're on the right track without a doubt.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments everyone :)!

@kosh- very good points. I made some adjustments per your crits. I didn't change much on the rib cage though. I tried to match the concept and ended up making it look worse :/.

roughed out a pose this time around. I'll more than likely continue to make refinements to the pose instead of going back to fix the t-pose base. Need to put this down for now though. Need to finish up on some other projects.

3dGzWf.jpg

FLgXk7.jpg
  • Ahoburg
    That was fast. Looks pretty nice, but can use some more details, especially on clothing and sculpted hair is a bit flat. Maybe some alpha planes will help.
  • wakkamis
    Offline / Send Message
    wakkamis polycounter lvl 15
    Currently reminds me of characters from a telltale game. Also, is the circle on the chest a cut out? I imagined it was due to the old power girls outfit. Nice job so far!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ahoburg - Thanks! I added more details to the clothing. looks much better now. For the hair, I wanted to keep a sculpt like look to it...I'm hoping to print her late.

@wakkamis–Thanks for the comment :). On the concept I'm using it's not a cutout. Although, some of the other drawings I've seen look like a cutout. I have no idea at this point, but I chose to make my model as a part of the outfit.

I did a test render in a few different views to see how I liked the model. I used a graphic novel like shader I found on zbrush central as the base because I wanted a comic like look to her. Made some modifications to them but so far I can tell I don't like how the clothing shader is working right now. Don't like some of the textures either. But it's looking way better than I thought it would up to this point.

YvZTG0.jpg
    K9Sj9H.jpg
    J8h6tl.jpg
  • wakkamis
    Offline / Send Message
    wakkamis polycounter lvl 15
    Nice, Love the expression!
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, this is looking really cool! I like the shape of her anatomy but her bum looks too flat to me, it's noticeable in the orange render on her left buttock. Not saying it needs to be bigger :) just a little rounder maybe. Also, the pattern/texture on her suit is noticeable only in your closeup but is totally lost when zoomed out. That's cool that you are planning on printing her, you gotta show us when you do!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    @wakkamis - thanks :)

@erroldynamic - good point. I thought the same myslef but left it a little flat since my default approach is usually "make it bigger" :). If I get her to print I will definitely post up some photos. Thanks for the feedback!

gonna call this one done for now before DC decides to change the design again :).

I added some detail and changed a few things for the render. I'll render a clay version of her soon...hopefully.

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback...everything was very helpful.

xrZmzk.jpg

3DyHTe.jpg
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    a is for awesome and awareness
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks killnpc :)