Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Landscape and Environments

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
LReisis polycounter lvl 6
Hello polycount
I want to get better at painting landscapes and environment concepts, this are my recent practices, feel free to drop a line, any critique is appreciated!

latest landscape trying to improve on my atmospheric perspective

HjPoDFd.jpg

previous series of thumbnails playing around with some colors.
and trying to get some interesting compositions

6p1hNZ6.jpg

Replies

• ZacTheAwesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much a concept artist at all, but I like the colors. Nice job with these paintings, theyre really good.
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didint quite nailed the colors but i was looking to explore the composition and atmosphere more.
    Gotta sharpen the eye again! C&C are welcome, would like to know what worked for you guys when practicing painting environments.

9wRyCnx.jpg
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These two took about an 1hr each, trying to color match the best I can without color picking from the photos.
    C&C are welcome guys!

TotDEmR.jpg

QLrQZNp.jpg
  • portalsurfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    portalsurfer polycounter lvl 6
    good work man, keep rocking those studies!
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, almost forgo to post this one here!
    Made using Shaddy Safadi process, shown at the OnePixelBrush website totally worth checking out! Im goin to keep exploring this process.
    Descending order

g8QKoxX.jpg

r0ozqmH.jpg

yjSjgz1.jpg

DEEjeOz.jpg
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't quite understood what this process in the last topic is about,can you explain it pls? :poly141:

Anyway,keep the color studies coming :):thumbup:
    I'm actually doing the same practice since today (environment color study),but...damn,I waste too much time :poly127: Like in 1-2 hours I don't even get it half finished :poly127:
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here man, this is the process Im trying to follow http://onepixelbrush.com/tutorials/
    I found it to work pretty good, but want to get more familiar with it
    Keep it up!
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, just another practice, this time focusing more on the color
    really want to get faster using this process, this one took like 2hrs want to cut that time in half to start of, then take down to 30 min

N3ukAHM.jpg
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another study for the vault guys! Still not done in the 30-45 min mark, but I'm slowly getting more conformable with the block out process, which combined with the last color pass are the steps taking the longest atm.
    C&C are welcome guys, will try to get some indoor studies soon too :)

OdZKrV5.jpg
    k8g7GZ9.jpg
  • mariomanzanares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Lazaro, first things first: You evolution from the first painting till the last one is just so impressive! There's definitely something going on here :)

My feedback about your work would be that you are using too much texture, like, everything is very cloudy and kind of muddy, and that creates the feeling that there's a lot of attention to the detail but lack of foundation, in terms of structure or edge control.

There's something that works like magic to fix this: Work as small as you can. Zoom out until your drawing is the size of a post-it and then draw surfaces trying to simplify them as much as you can. You can have fun making details once everything is settled down, but first you need to set your values and forms. And try not to use pure black if you want a painterly style. Traditional painting doesn't use black but complementary colors. But this is another story :)

Good luck and keep the good work!
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all thank you for critique and suggestions! I'm really humbled by it.
    I think what's been causing all the extra noise is the brushes I've used, so will try to stick to a simpler brush next time, and will def try your suggestion of zooming out, do you do this while blocking out the values?
    Ahh por cierto tambi
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again I have been slacking with my studies this last week, but here is what I did

45 min. Will add color soon to this one I am really liking the feel of this picture
    8Rzpihh.jpg

And this gurl, I would liek to rename this thread to limit it to just environments
    bBgAXt5.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    These last two look great!

Your environment looks a lot better, I'd suggest using a hard round brush to prevent all of the noise you keep adding in. For example, the rock face to the left of the waterfall is almost a single value, with some details, but you have two very different values noisily put together.

I think you are putting a few too many values on the girl, her hat is almost a simple gradient with detail strewn about, and the face is pretty much a gradient from top to bottom. Her face is entirely in shadow, it's just the bottom is being lit by ambient light, while the top is occluded by the hat.

Also, I think the light on your ref is coming from back left, not the right as you have it.

I hope this makes sense! :)
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most recent study and one from imagination!
    I also wanted to share my sketchbook in here pls stop by and drop a comment!
    Sketchbook

oxw7NIT.jpg

xdkntkP.jpg
    rW2zNBu.jpg
  • whatever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just getting better and better
  • AngryMindtricks
    Quickly scrolling through this thread, you can definitely see your work improving... I'm actually heavily studying/practicing 2D art at work right now so I've come to really appreciate concept art now and how hard it can actually be... so looking at your work really makes me feel driven to keep swinging at it. Keep it up! :)
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys!
    Here is a master study from Goya I'm going to do a couple of this now and keep at my portfolio!
    C&C are welcome!
    R6fw2N4.jpg
    kAZxSGt.jpg
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More studies tonight and yesterdays
    color focused studies trying to keep em around the hr

I would like to change this threads name if anyone could point me how to, since I'm not just posting environments and landscapes.

Caravaggio 1hr
    gq9O4LR.jpg

And another Goya 1:43 hr
    dk3GC2C.jpg
  • Michi Doan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work and I can see the improvement. Keep up the good work!
    As for landscape studies, I think it wouldn't be bad if you just start out your painting in steps : Shape, Form, Color, Details.

These are the things I always tell myself when I work on environments.
    Light Side / Dark Side
    Warm Side/ Cool Side
    Hard Edge/ Soft Edge
    Saturation/ De-saturation
    Details/ Suggestion

In Photograph, mostly taken by photographer, their work is very details and focus, but as in painting, you apply the atmospheric perspective so it gives your painting more depth.

On your illustration, I suggest the focal point to have saturated colors, details, and less details as it gets away from the focal point.

Hope these help :)
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback!:D

I totally get what u saying, I tend to lean towards saturated colors! these exercises have been helping me on that. Could you elaborate on your process a little more? I'm interested.

More studies here, 1hr 20min Delatour's lighting is so nice, really efficient!
    The kids face in mine is so creepy hehe

WX4uFAV.jpg
    fpBkIEb.jpg

Zorn Gustav 1hr 42 min. This one was a lot fun! I keep really exaggerating the shapes, been working on more delicate shapes. what do you guys think?

opFazRe.jpg
    p65jleH.jpg
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For today an actual landscape again hehe and yesterday study of Anders Zorn painting. C&C are most welcome guys!

f73s8eJ.jpg
    spend to much time in this landscape, not happy with the result, maay put some more time later.

BnWqBAO.jpg
  • Michi Doan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like your recent studies, they have improved a whole lot in colors and shapes and forms.

My process is I start in grey scale of nothing fancy but simple shapes. Knowing that environment exterior will looks different from interior. Exterior, atmospheric perspective will come in to play. Once I have my shapes, I add the form into the shape, where I also consider where the light will hit on the landscape, where the saturated place is my focal point. Once the grey scale looks correct, I play with color theories, using different colors to reach the mood I want for my piece of environment. Once I pick the color environment I like, I work around my details until the piece is completed. My focal point will be sharp, most details, while everything else is suggestion, un-saturated.

Hope this help. :)
  • LReisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for sharing Michi Doan it absolutely helps!
    I cant wait to do a new piece of my own after this studies!
    But before that here is a new study! this one took longer than the rest 4.5 hrs aprox. The colors were a challenge, i feel they still off, any comments or suggestions!
    Msj8s6s.jpg