Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dazz3r's Zbrush Practice

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, hope you don't mind but I'm going to try and improve my zbrush skills by sculpting 1 'thing' a week, I'll probably do more heads than anything else, but I'll try and do some environment props too.

Here is this weeks.

ruwmf6sjpg
be8dQw4jpg
009E8rdjpg

All crits welcome, I'll start by saying the fibre mesh hair is downright awful!!!

Replies

• Shurkuris
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    The wrinkles look more like creases/edges for clothes.

His glasses's frames look silly with their current design. The arms on both sides should be above the mid-half of the glasses, not below.

If your gonna spend that much effort on the face, do the eyes. I can't concentrate because of how silly the terminator look gives him.
  • Eyofin
    +1 about the wrinkles. They could use a bit more attention.

Here are a few other things that stand out to me:

His forehead is too smooth in comparison to the rest of his face. I think you could do with another pass with both wrinkles and pores to really bring the aged look all the way up. The nose also keeps nagging at me, and I can't decide if that's because the pores are too small and uniform, or if it's because the planes are a bit too angled. Maybe a bit of both? Either way, it feels just a little cartoon-y to me. When I look at the image, my eye tends to linger there.

I also suggest breaking up the symmetry. As it is, when I look at the thumbnail of the front view, the very first thing I see is how all the shapes are mirrored. It ruins the sense of realism.

I do really like his stubble, jaw, and chin. You nailed the feeling of aged skin there. His lips are also really nice. Keep it up!
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys for the feedback, its much appreciated :)

Yeah the wrinkles are pretty bad, I used the dam_standard and some wrinkles alphas from the main download center. I'm not sure if that's the best approach and its obvious I need to research that area a bit more to see what is the best method. The specs, I copied from the most common design I could find of victorian type eye glasses. If you google victorian spectacles, that design is probably the most common design.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    After you've defined a wrinkle with dam standard brush, try a little inflate brush on either side to give it some volume. That'll help avoid the "scratches in wax" look you see a lot in zbrush busts.
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man, will give it a try, always wondered what is a good method for sculpting wrinkles. Will definitely give it a try.
  • Dazz3r
  • Dazz3r
  • Dazz3r
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message

Next to impossible to get anyone to reply to my thread!  Maybe I should pay you guys?

• Eric Chadwick
    You're improving, and neat subject! The creases are still not there yet. They look like single negative strokes. But real skin deforms more, has different shapes for different creases, and the shape even changes along the length of a single crease. You could go tighter in the bottom, and slightly more bulge along the sides.

Take the last photo, and put it alongside your render, then compare only the forehead wrinkles. There are more wrinkles, sure, but the shape of each wrinkle is quite different from what you have in your sculpt.

Keep going, it's worth the effort!
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks Eric and Dustin :)

Yeah I definitely agree with you and I'm finding the wrinkles the hardest bit to get right.