Home General Discussion

Is Eastern style a downside for me to get a job?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, i've been wondering for a while now that i really love the eastern art style be it drawing or 3d models that are done in the east. For instance, i can tell i really like NCSoft looking games (Blade & Soul, Aion, Lineage) and for the most part i would love to work on a company like that in the future(Funny enough Guild wars art style not so much and it's also targeted to the weast audience).

The problem is i live in the west(like most of you), most of the studios are targeted to the west audience as you may already know. I've been working on foundamentals and practicing realism and that i know i have to learn realism before moving into stylization i find it really scary to not be able to work on something i wouldn't love.

I know we all do sacrifices to get what we want and that i may end working on something i may not fully like at fist but...is doing eastern style art living in the west a viable route?

TL-DR: can you still find a job doing eastern art living in the west?

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't know if you'd be able to find a job doing the sort of eastern art you love, unless you move to a country where that is the norm, but if you do eastern art for your portfolio, and it shows amazing skill, that won't impede you getting a job working at a regular game company.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    I'm sure people who review your portfolio are capable of seeing the skills behind the art, If it looks amazing you've got a good chance of getting a job.
    That being said, branching off and showing an ability to master multiple styles and catering to the styles of the studio you're applying for is a plus.

You should check out some of Hazardous' work, He's a western artist but I think he nails it when it comes to finding a middle ground.:

http://www.hazardousarts.com/
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    I am assuming you're talking about character art. As a professional artist you should have little to no problems creating from reference regardless of style.

The more skilled you become the easier it gets. Granted if you're not flexible with the kinds of work you're willing to do for work then it will be more difficult.

Like Spiffy has said, it's doable, people have been doing it for a long time. The hardest part is getting the necessary skills.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I never found it to be an issue (embarassingly enough, even when I wasn't so decently rounded and did in fact use it as a crutch [so much regret]). Just go for jobs you'd like, when you have the opportunity/luxury. The style of the art shouldn't matter as long as you show good fundamental skills and flexibility. Try to find some local-ish studios creating art that you wouldn't mind working on, that's really the deciding factor on how realistic a goal it might be to be working on a game with the specific style you like without having to move and get a job overseas. :) oh, and don't forget to check out mobile studios.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there is no harm in having a personal style of art that you love to see or do. But if you want to make it in this industry, you absolutely must be open minded and flexible enough to create any style of art that you're asked to make.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well I'd like to say 'Good art is Good art', But everything depends; obviously if your portfolio shows exactly the style of the project at the company your applying to then it's definitely going to get you hired easier.

However I'd still employ someone with a different style than the project if they displayed the skill set I know would work with the style of the project. With a test etc.
    It depends who's looking at the folio, someone with the technical understanding of 'art skillz' or some random from HR who only looks for gritty apoc survivor portfolios. :/

There's still be a bunch of studios in the west that do that kind of style, but either way Outsourcing bro, no need to worry. :D
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it is character art guys, so as far portfolio goes you are saying put the pieces of the style i like, if they are technically correct i still have a chance of getting hired from a company that does something different? I've always seen in this forum that for instance, if you want to work for Blizzard you should have Blizzard stuff on your portfolio. And also, focus on one goal where you would be happy working on it and then work super hard to get it.

Moving to Asia is something that bothers me a little also, is the language barrier a big deal? Only as far as japanese goes i have a soild grasp of it but not korean or chinesse. Also i have the feeling Asia has a lot more competition with extremely dalented artist with almost the same style. What would you do in my place?

I forgot to mention that where i live in Peru in South America, good Game studios are ZERO. Everyone of them is totally outdated and make medriocre work that i definetely don't want to work there only if i don't have any other option to eat. Freelance or moving to the US may be a better option and much easier than going to Asia at least to start.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What would you do in my place?
    Simply work on your craft and build an online presence - by posting things here and showing your portfolio !
    It's a bit of a cheesy thing to say, but If you are great at anything someone will be interested in paying you for it.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok that sounds good then, i was a little worried about it so i think i will just focus on what i like and maybe have 1 piece showing i can do other kind of art too, thanks a lot guys.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think I remember reading about someone with awesome portfolio didn't get a job in Japan because he lacked 3-5 yrs of experience to apply for a visa ? or something ?

Don't quote me.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    link to your portfolio?
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm i think i saw it too, i think you need a professional title so they give you one to work outside your country. I'm getting a software engineer title in 1 year but does it coun't if i'm traveling for an art position?

shakerzero i don't have portfolio yet, started like 2 years ago into 3d but actually i'm working on anatomy now and figure drawing so i can have my first 3d portrait by march taht can use it as my first piece of portfolio, so yeah...just starting out those 2 years were about learning things like rigging, modeling, animation, pretty much everything but drawing or anatomy so that was a big mistake.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Finalhart wrote: »
    Hmm i think i saw it too, i think you need a professional title so they give you one to work outside your country. I'm getting a software engineer title in 1 year but does it coun't if i'm traveling for an art position?

shakerzero i don't have portfolio yet, started like 2 years ago into 3d but actually i'm working on anatomy now and figure drawing so i can have my first 3d portrait by march taht can use it as my first piece of portfolio, so yeah...just starting out those 2 years were about learning things like rigging, modeling, animation, pretty much everything but drawing or anatomy so that was a big mistake.

hey, just gonna say that you probably should'nt hold back on working on your portfolio.

the thing is you never know how good you are until you put all your knowledge into a single piece. there are a lot of things in a workflow that don't have anything to do with single production steps, but with the transition between them.

also doing portfoliostuff on a semiregular basis is good to see how you are developing your skills and how progress is going.

it might end up being depressing when you start your first portfoliopiece after 3 years of learning and it turns out that it sucks, and you might think all those years were wasted. only because you never baked normals before and your greenchannel is inverted and you can't see what the problem is.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    If we are talking about Japan there can be a lot of luck involved, of course you need to find a company willing to fight for you first, but after that it's not really 100% set in stone as they say it is, and it can depend of whether they guy/girl in charge at the immigration office is having a good day or not.

In my case I had a vocational college degree "which isn't supposed to count" and 2 years of explainable experience when I got my engineer Visa for Japan, I think that they also can go a lot on the person as well, I knew the language quite well at the time as well as I studied a year in Japan when I was in high school, so if you have that sort of experience it might help.

Sometimes companies are also asked to write letters to the immigration office explaining as to why your experience is needed instead of a japanese.

As for skill, many japanese companies are trying their best to mimic foreign companies and what they want is someone skilled at what a western artist is usually skilled at, preferably a technical artist with lots of UE4 experience.

Companies like from software and square enix are hiring foreign talent all the time for example.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Well I'd like to say 'Good art is Good art', But everything depends

Yeah, pretty much no game studio would want to hire Jackson Pollock, right?
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy - I think you are right, that's something i've been wondering too about when is a good time to create my portfolio i will work hard for it during 2 months to have something to show you guys a critique so i can work better on the next pieces that will replace them. Actually...! i have some props i made, no character art related but even if it isn't character art does it worth showing in portfolio so i can create one?

Jonas - That's super good to hear i didn't know they were opened to hiring western people just have to work hard then.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i have some props i made, no character art related but even if it isn't character art does it worth showing in portfolio so i can create one?

sure, everything is valid as long as you think it remotely represents your current skill level.

as long as you are not applying anywhere it doesn't realy matter that much what is in your portfolio anyways.
    once you start applying you should start kicking out smaller and older pieces.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bump this thread but... i can't find anywhere where can i put my portfolio link into my polycount profile D:
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    you can "edit your signature" and insert your links there.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    preferably a technical artist with lots of UE4 experience.

solid technical UE4 skills and the world's your oyster.

we're also looking for for one of those. One of our former UE4 wizards left for Epic :(
    Also i have the feeling Asia has a lot more competition with extremely dalented artist with almost the same style.
    There are plenty of very, very good artists here in China. I would not want to compete with them on art skills (and salary is out of the question). As pure artist I'd say there's little chance to get hired unless some smaller studio looks for a foreigner to parade around (it happens).
    You have to offer what isn't available locally: mostly anything to do with leadership, directing (e.g. art direction), technical issues and hands on production experience.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again guys portfolio is there now. Kwramm, i guess then i'll have to push myself harder in art then. With technical issues what do you mean? What i know in UE4 now is to bake normals for UE4 models, material editor(i like this one a lot), some blueprints experience, LODs, custom collision.. what else would be enough regarding the technical part?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    technical route may be a bit more difficult...or maybe not... experience or a good folio that shows skill is what counts. For example, finding people who're good in Max, Maya, ZB, is easy.
    What's difficult to find? People who can create shaders, lighting or do optimization in UE4. Stuff that often requires some actual knowledge of a platform and the hardware. People who can go beyond just making assets. People who can put stuff together and give it some polish! Meaning that "I worked some with UE4" isn't going to cut it in many cases. You gotta be good enough so that, in comparison to hiring you, training a good artist, who doesn't know all this, takes a lot of time and patience.
    Similarly useful: rigging, mocap, animation, especially in combination with getting things like advanced rigs and animations into UE4 or a similar engine (Cry, Frostbite, Anvil, etc).
    Any artist centric experience with middleware like Morpheme or FaceFX. All hard to find here.

Anther route, for artists, is to focus on team leadership, management and organization - i.e. running a team professionally, coaching it, making it grow. i.e. team lead / art director.

The good thing about China is, since these positions are difficult to fill (less competition), the entry barrier can be lower than at Western studios. Entry ticket is cheaper, but you're expected to catch up quickly on your own though. If you have the right skills, language is usually not an issue in China.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips Kwramm, didn't know about that. Sounds like a really nice plus in there i should give more time to that technical stuff besides it's cool to learn too haha :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Originally Posted by Mask_Salesman viewpost.gif
    Well I'd like to say 'Good art is Good art', But everything depends
    marks wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much no game studio would want to hire Jackson Pollock, right?
    Jackson Pollock woulda torn up the indie scene and packaged his games on floppy disks with cigarette butts melted to it.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Well, the most difficult part of the anime style is the face without a doubt.

If you are serious about making this type of characters without a doubt you must sit down and and sculpt/retopo anime style faces whenever you can. Believe me you'll understand :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm going to go against the grain with my opinion of this thread, and simply say; making a heavily eastern stylized portfolio will remove a LOT Of job opportunities for you in the West.

In fact, many studios completely disregard much of the skills you've demonstrated, and want you to take a test to PROVE you can do "their" style.

Try this as a simple exercise:
    Name all the studios that are make stylized fantasy game.
    (Off the top of my head, I can think of maybe 5?)

You're cutting out a LOT of potential workplaces by going stylized at all. It's fine when you're at the level of guys like Pior, and Hazardous, but for someone wanting to break in, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the time, and resources to get THAT good.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are these kind of tests about i always hear about them? So your suggestion is to keep it western style until i can break into the industry and then moving slowly as i get better to show more of an eastern style on the portfolio>
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    What are these kind of tests about i always hear about them? So your suggestion is to keep it western style until i can break into the industry and then moving slowly as i get better to show more of an eastern style on the portfolio>

I would recommend varying it up a bit.

But there is a LOT more opportunity for artists who show ability to do hyper-realism.

Think of all the FPS
    All the annual Sports Games
    Adventure/action games with realistic proportioned/textured characters, etc.
    Ubisoft Games
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to learn realism after all to make stylized models so... i guess i can put some realistic models or balance it 50 50? Thanks for the advices guys, i appreciate it a lot.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the end, good work is good work.

If a studio can't see past whatever style you're building in, then you may not want to work there.

I'm very much in favor of stylized work and anti-realism, but if I see an awesome portfolio that is all realism, I will give the artist a benefit of a doubt and approach them to gauge their interest.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    The common issue with "eastern style" is when people adopt it they tend to get all hung up on the rules they've created. So I often see people who put a lot of effort into their work but the limits they've made for themselves or adopted prevents them from improving.

Especially when the style they've developed is heavily based on someone else's work.

Having the style is fine just make sure you're developing and not letting the rules of that style hold you back. Even those eastern artists are trained in still life and real life portrait drawing, their style stems from learning to draw real life. Which is why their work can look so amazing.

You can do the same and still be influenced by their work.

My art history teacher in high school pointed out that what a lot of people were doing was illustration not "art". If that makes sense.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    If you are thinking of getting a job in the West I suggest putting at least one model showing off typical western realism, such as a military dude done in a very realistic way, in your portfolio. If everything else looked like (very well done) stylized Eastern stuff, having a single good realistic asset should help put potential employer's minds at ease.

There is nothing wrong with implying that you would love to create lots of cool stylized art in a particular style. Just make it very clear that you can do more mainstream stuff as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you are thinking of getting a job in the West I suggest putting at least one model showing off typical western realism, such as a military dude done in a very realistic way, in your portfolio.

I'd suggest putting in something LoL/DOTA2 styled rather than a realistic military dude. I guess it depends on your personality, would working on a realistic shooter slowly crush your soul or could you handle working on an art style that doesn't excite you?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Can someone post examples of eastern art that wouldn't apply to western games?
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's not that i'm not happy with making realistic models. Actually i would prefere doing realistic models rather than LoL/Dota2 or WOW like style models. So yeah i woudn't have a problem working with realistic models, that's what i'm focusing on right now so no stylized work for me until i can really understand realism, besides a good working environment could push my skills further even if i'm not doing stylized characters. But if you ask me what would be the ideal situation for me then yeah eastern style models are the goal for me and i always read here something like...find a company you would like to work in and that you are excited with the style they use and work hard towards that goal.

I guess working with realistic military dudes are fine with me for starting out and somehow get into the industry, it's not that i'm not happy doing them because even if they aim for hyper realism they still have some personality and the characters are very appealing sometimes. It's just that i would be super happy doing eastern art and you know, we only have 1 life :D
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade and soul(i love this one, the art director is awesomeeeee):

i18203472.jpg

Aion:
    aion30asmodiansorcererf.png

Super popular Guilty Gear:
    Guilty1.jpg

Models like Basara/Samurai warriors are heavy eastern as well:
    Sengoku-Basara-4-02.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I worked on an "eastern styled" game at Tencent Boston albeit doing environment art. A number of those artists work at Riot now :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Other than the design, which you wouldn't be doing anyway, I don't really see how making one of those assets is any different from anything else.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I`m not a modeller or anything, but I do think there is a vast difference between Stylized Art and Eastern Art. When I hear Eastern Art, I immediately think anime. But I wouldnt classify the pictures you just posted as anime. Stylized, for sure. Not not anime.

I've seen portfolios thrown out (or deleted) MANY times because they were filled with nothing by anime. The problem with anime is that there are a lot of people out there that use it as a crutch, and don't push it. They use it as a way to avoid learning proper proportions and anatomy. And they don't get creative with it. Especially the younger generations. They`ll learn to draw basic anime and not much else. I personally find that to be a disservice to anyone trying to be a better artist. Not to say there isn't some nice looking anime out there. But, the majority of it is pretty similar to each other, and doesn't show much creativity (usually). It's a very specific style. It's why people always list the same shows / movies as "good anime", because the good stuff stands out from the rest. Just most of it, in my mind, doesn't. I know people will rage at me for saying that, but that's my opinion on it. We all know art is subjective.

Now, with that said, I don't think it's unreasonable or bad to have anime in your portfolio. But you should have more than just that. Just as with ANY portfolio, if you fill it with one style and one style only, it hurts you. You should have different styles to show that you can do different styles. So fill it with the art you love, but maybe have that realistic army dude as well, just to show you're able to adapt? And don't bury that realistic guy at the end of your portfolio. have it near the top so that people see it quickly and don't dismiss you.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think too Stylized and Eastern Art are different. Especially with anime, but when a 3d model of anime comes into my mind i first think of 3d printed models and not so many games, it fits better with 2d i guess. But if you talk about idealism i find eastern games have more of that, many MMO's or even Final Fantasy series have characters that are significally different from the majority of western game characters.

But you all made a good point, having variety of styles on your portfolio is the way to go.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main takeaway is create what you love to create and own it. Don't half ass anything in your portfolio and people will notice.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think too Stylized and Eastern Art are different. Especially with anime, but when a 3d model of anime comes into my mind i first think of 3d printed models and not so many games, it fits better with 2d i guess. But if you talk about idealism i find eastern games have more of that, many MMO's or even Final Fantasy series have characters that are significally different from the majority of western game characters.

But you all made a good point, having variety of styles on your portfolio is the way to go.

Variety is one route. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Another route is focusing just on the one thing you love until you're so fucking good at it that you're known worldwide as the best at (whatever). People will come looking for you to make what you do best.

Your choice!
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah... I need to work on variety soon.
    But damn I love modeling this cute shit so much! I don't know why.

aesir wrote: »
    Another route is focusing just on the one thing you love until you're so fucking good at it that you're known worldwide as the best at (whatever). People will come looking for you to make what you do best.
    This is something that I kinda want to aim to. The thing with anime art in the west is that most people look down on you for it (well that's the impression I've got over the years). I think because most people who try it don't it well? I want to do it well someday.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    You know... it's not out of the question to learn an Asian language and actually work there.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo wrote: »
    Yeah... I need to work on variety soon.
    But damn I love modeling this cute shit so much! I don't know why.

This is something that I kinda want to aim to. The thing with anime art in the west is that most people look down on you for it (well that's the impression I've got over the years). I think because most people who try it don't it well? I want to do it well someday.

There's a certain stigma that comes with it. The image of weeaboos that gush over Japanese videogames and hate anything else comes to mind to most employers.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz - That would have come into my mind if i had found at least 1 website that shows they are recruiting to work there. I've been studying japanese for 4 years, my eyes haven't morph yet but is decent to survive in Japan. Do you know any site that actually post jobs to go there?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    If you find a studio you want to work for, apply. send them an email with your stuff, regardless of if their website says they are hiring. Usually they`ll hire before the opening even makes it to their website.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have to admit that I find this thread to be confusing, but this might just be a communication thing...

While it is understandable to want to aim for a wide market, focusing on a niche is very valid too.
    But regardless, wouldn't it a bit sad to limit your own art based on what the majority wants ?

Also, please show us your own eastern-styled art, as it is quite hard to give any recommendation based on just chatting :)

On a side note, you mentioned Guilty Gear as an example. I can pretty much guarantee you that anyone able to produce models at the level of quality shown in Xrd would find a job very easily.

1386294916-2.jpg

More information here :
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140703095/

And doing GG fanart certainly didn't prevent this guy from finding a job !
    http://www.neobear.fr/index.html

So, just show your stuff here and focus on working hard man :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, it's all about owning the art in your portfolio. Being a badass at what you do.