Home General Discussion

advice on work for portfolio

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
I am working on my portfolio for a 3d generalist position. If I have work demonstrating, modeling, textureing, and rigging already is it necessary for it to all be the same character model? For example I have a character model I have made and textured. And I have some animation work already done on a model like the max for maya rig.

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    No I think that's fine. Just make sure you specify what you worked on exactly. Also, if you're putting various focuses in you folio, make sure it's all high quality. I see far too many "generalists" who are not really good at any one focus so they put a ton of different stuff in their folio. This is never gonna land you work. Unless you are really strong at all aspects, I would focus on whatever you want to do the most.
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks slosh. Rigging is what I really struggle with (mostly from a lack of practice), and I was working on a rig for a character I had made. For some reason I did not make all the bones for the fingers, and I did not notice this until I had finish skin weighting everything but the fingers. The thought of having to redo it makes me sick. So unless there is a way to add bones to a rig without undoing all of my skin weights in maya; I am just going to use a standard rig for my animations.
  • jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    RaptorCWS wrote: »
    Thanks slosh. Rigging is what I really struggle with (mostly from a lack of practice), and I was working on a rig for a character I had made. For some reason I did not make all the bones for the fingers, and I did not notice this until I had finish skin weighting everything but the fingers. The thought of having to redo it makes me sick. So unless there is a way to add bones to a rig without undoing all of my skin weights in maya; I am just going to use a standard rig for my animations.

Ye you can just add influences to the skin cluster. Select the joint then the mesh then skin-> add influence(just make sure to have the lock weights option ticked in the options menu for it or it will break your skinning)
  • RaptorCWS
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez wrote: »
    Ye you can just add influences to the skin cluster. Select the joint then the mesh then skin-> add influence(just make sure to have the lock weights option ticked in the options menu for it or it will break your skinning)

wow thanks. I appreciate it