Home General Discussion

Tips for moving to california?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
I imagine quite a few of you live in california? I'd like to make plans to move there and start saving. But I live way over in florida and know nothing about living in/moving to california.

So for anyone who has experience moving to california, any tips that could help me during the move?

Like what places are best, where I might be likely to find rooms to rent, etc. Along with any other tips, my aim is to move there to socialize with other artists and eventually find work.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You shouldn't move to where you might be able to find work, there's industry jobs all over the country, and California is expensive.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    As a Californian, I always recommend people reconsider their desire to move here. I know I personally am looking forward to getting out, if possible. It is expensive and the state is a mess. I don't expect it go get much better either since the state's (and local) policy making is pretty much one sided and heavily tied to special interest/incompetence.. You can find some nice jobs here, sure, but unless you cant find them elsewhere I probably wouldnt recommend it. Just an opinion though.
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    Never tried looking a for a job outside my city, but isn't send CV + then chat on skype best practice for finding a job outside your state/country?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    iadagraca wrote: »
    move there and start saving.

This is not something that is going to happen.

Living in California is extremely expensive in any place aside from some spots out in the middle of nowhere. Food and gas are both expensive compared to other states, and the housing market is unbelievable. My wife and I pay $1720/month for a 900 square foot apartment (and this is scheduled to go up by another $200 soon!), and a guy I know who's working in Redwood City just moved into a one bedroom apartment and he's paying $2200.

Don't move out here unless you have a job lined up and a significant savings already.
  • Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    I'm gonna echo everyone else and say there is no reason to move here unless you have a job.

People don't realize this about California but it is a super diverse state. You could find somewhere affordable in california to live,the problem is you are still going to be several hours from any hub with game jobs.

LA and the Bay area are the two main hubs and they are both some of the most expensive places in the country. They are also 6 hrs from one another.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    You shouldn't move to where you might be able to find work, there's industry jobs all over the country, and California is expensive.
    blazed wrote: »
    I agree with ZacD that does seem very risky, I would of thought florida would already be a good place to look for work?

Well, being honest i'm not 100% sure what goes on in florida, certainly isn't happening much in jacksonville.

EDIT: Wow you guys made that super unappealing. I did not realize it was that bad.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to chime in with everybody else in this thread; California is ridiculously expensive stacked on top with a healthy dose of taxes. I live in Los Angeles and pay 1700.00 for a one bedroom. It's insane. I think the allure of California being THE place for games and movies is starting to change; or has changed. Also, with the supply and demand of CG artists, the supply far out weighs the demand. Thus, salaries and benefits go down, it's just the nature of business.
    There are a lot of game hubs in the U.S. Check out Austin, Seattle, or North Carolina.
    Also, like someone else mentioned, I'd imagine Florida has its fair share of studios.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I grew up in Port Orange, Florida and years ago I saved and did the cross country move (although I went to Seattle.) I'll tell you what, it was one of the best choices I made and 3 years of my life but I'll tell you what it didn't get me. A job.

Florida has a few game studios but they're few and far between. I'll tell you what Florida is known for though is simulations. Orlando (near UCF) is one of the primary hubs for creating military (and otherwise) simulations. I've been working in sims for almost the past 5 years now and it's been great. It's not as glamorous as AAA games, but I use the same tools as anyone else and it puts you into a team environment with deadlines. Also, the pay tends to be a little bit higher starting out. The biggest hurdle is passing the security clearance and you have to be a US citizen.

Don't get me wrong, simulations isn't always the coolest thing, but it pays really well and it is more or less in your back yard.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I'll definitely take a look at those places, I actually need to stick with places by water though due to my allergies. I lived in georgia last year for four months and was constantly popping allergy pills and still getting hives. Same happened before.

Thanks for the help guys!
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    Florida has a few game studios but they're few and far between. I'll tell you what Florida is known for though is simulations. Orlando (near UCF) is one of the primary hubs for creating military (and otherwise) simulations. I've been working in sims for almost the past 5 years now and it's been great. It's not as glamorous as AAA games, but I use the same tools as anyone else and it puts you into a team environment with deadlines. Also, the pay tends to be a little bit higher starting out. The biggest hurdle is passing the security clearance and you have to be a US citizen.

Don't get me wrong, simulations isn't always the coolest thing, but it pays really well and it is more or less in your back yard.

Huh thats interesting, Well I figured I should focus on work more likely to get me a job. What kind of work would you say they're looking for with that kind of work?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'm from Florida, I got a job first before leaving and it ended up being in Virginia.

You will probably explode from allergies in Austin; I seem to be immune so far.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, OPPOSITE OPINION TIME.

I live in Los Angeles. I live a 10 minute walk from the beach. I pay 700 a month for my 1/3 of a 3 bedroom apartment. I manage to save a lot of money per month.

The fact is, LA is not a place where you can live by yourself unless you have a solid bit of money. You will have to live with roommates. Plus side? Helps kickstart your social life and because everyone is in the same boat, everyone is always looking for roommates.

I like this city and do not plan to leave anytime soon. Yes, it has flaws. Many many flaws. But it's not impossible to live here. Plenty of out of work aspiring actors make it by with their waitress jobs just fine. They're not begging in the streets.

To be fair though, unless you have a 12 months of living expenses saved up (1 years lease on whatever apartment you get included) that you don't mind spending, I would not recommend moving somewhere new without a job.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Just to be somewhat of a counter point:

I moved to LA early this year from Boston (I'm from Canada.) In order for me to move, I need to have a Visa purchased by a company...so...not having a job isn't an option for me. That being said:

You "can" make it work, but you really need to be smart about it. i did a similar move when I was alot younger (from east Canada to Vancouver) and it was the best move of my life. At first, i ended up working shit jobs and lived in a crummy apartment but eventually worked my way up. Like aesir is saying, it's totally possible. I know a lot of people here that have roommates or live out of the city (the Valley is cheaper, for example) and, like others are saying, it's not exactly cheap in general. Just be smart, don't dive into a downtown condo on your own with no job, save a bunch of money now and take the plunge. Get a roommate, maybe get a cheap car, and get a job to make ends meet - then bust your ass in your off time to work on your art and make connections in the industry.

This city isn't as bad as people say. I fucking love Los Angeles. But, like any city, you can slip and mess up pretty bad...like..living alone with no job will probably kill you. But thats not LA, the same would happen in Boston, or Vancouver (using my experience)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    +1 to Gaven abot the very last parargaph: Lived in South LA for 4 years mostly because of uni, but also spent time working post-uni. Community is important. And in a lot of ways, PC will not provide that, I'm talking consistent, intentional time spent eating with friends, hanging out with people, exploring, dating, helping each other during depressive or happy stages, etc.

I think, no matter where you are, being social in some small way will keep your spirits sharpened. Not necessarily happy, but if it's positive, it'll be iron sharpening iron. Emphasis on positive.

Right now, to be honest about my situation, Reality LA has been keeping me grounded during my current period of waiting for my first real intimate game development project (hopefully in LA, it still feels like home). Without people from my RLA Community Group, I would suspect that I would be introspective in a very bad way. But being able to, say, serve sandwhiches on near Skid Row with some RLA people, etc., I think has been a blessing from the Man/Woman/It from upstairs that was unexpected.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Huh thats interesting, Well I figured I should focus on work more likely to get me a job. What kind of work would you say they're looking for with that kind of work?

I know for us we typically look for the ability of hard edge modeling. Not to toot my own horn but these are some of the projects I've done in the past year. If you are able to create hard edge modelling mainly with props, weapons, and vehicles then you are pretty much set (at least for what we do.) We use VBS3 as a game engine which is the military license of ARMA3. We also are starting to use Unity and I know some other houses use UE4 and CryEngine 3 as well.
    For some places it is really not so different than game studios.

I will say though, that we tend to push the envelope a bit (military wise at least) as a number of places still stick to diffuse texturing low poly models. It really can depend on where you apply.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Swizzle wrote: »
    This is not something that is going to happen.

Living in California is extremely expensive in any place aside from some spots out in the middle of nowhere. Food and gas are both expensive compared to other states, and the housing market is unbelievable. My wife and I pay $1720/month for a 900 square foot apartment (and this is scheduled to go up by another $200 soon!), and a guy I know who's working in Redwood City just moved into a one bedroom apartment and he's paying $2200.

Don't move out here unless you have a job lined up and a significant savings already.

and here i was thinking that £500 p/m mortgage for my 3 bedroom house with massive garden was too high =[

i feel so bad for some people.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'll reiterate as someone who grew up in California: Prepare your wallet, get used to roommates, and forget about savings unless you're into austerity or have a great job. Everywhere worth living in California (SF, LA, SD areas) is expensive. The rest of California isn't much different than other states and has less business, so there's no reason to move there.

But if you can afford to live in the good parts, it's awesome, so there's that...
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if anything I'll put it off for a lot longer and maybe move somewhere else instead. I'd definitely need a lot more money saved than I thought.

I don't really have any aversion to roommates as I've done it before for a short time. And my standards of living are pretty low already, I don't need much to be satisfied (lived out of my car a few times which i definitely wouldn't do in LA).

As for work I currently do sales for marketing companies and I have a good track record so I figured I'd see if I could transfer there for that or find something similar. So it's not like I'd have no work just not high paying work (here it's $14 an hour which is good here but maybe not there?).
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I havent lived in CA, but 14$/h seems low, so what would seem like a solid savings account, probably wouldnt account for much if you were to move to LA/SF.

Again, I havent lived there, so I might be wrong, but I have lived in areas cheaper than SF/LA and even there, 14$/h wouldnt cut it.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that it is crazy expensive out here, but I still love it. Compared to the east coast there is so much to do and see that it can be overwhelming and probably partly why rent is so high. I moved out here for a job so the studio covered the moving costs, and I also have a few roommates so it's a bit more manageable for me.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Try using a cost of living calculator for this kind of thing

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Do not think of "eventually finding work", just look for it now. Socializing with artists might not get you anywhere. Professionals get annoyed by that, and you should definitely just look for jobs being at Florida, where it's cheaper.

With all my heart, don't come to Cali just to find a job, come to Cali when you HAVE a job. It's expensive and can be quite annoying without a car (as florida).

Just my 2 cents.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I've been to most States in the US, countless major Cities, lived in Los Angeles, San Diego, Florida, and Mexico. Been to tons of Places in Canada and I have to say California fucking rules.

Ya it's expensive, but it's expensive for a reason. Cause it rules. Plus if you move to Southern California we got the most precious treasure.

Tacos.

Tacos_al_Pastor.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    "any tips that could help me during the move?"

get money, lots of it
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I would think in other places they would pay more for my current work.

I'll definitely work around my options before making that leap though. I can wait a bit longer and see what works out here.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences guys.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    If you don't have a job, why move? If you want to save money and focus on work, move to North Dekota or or stay were your at. Why uproot when you don't have something lined up and uproot in an expensive state to boot? This field of art isnt something you need to be in a specific city for. You can be anywere. Id recomend even moveing to another part of Florida. Heck, do Miami beach man! Rent can be cheap on the beach (was just looking this up the other day)

side note, I lived in Florida for 18 years and moved to Cali for college for 4, then to Boston for a job. I loved California. Only place I know were you can go to the beach, then dessert, then the snow, all in one day. It comes with a big price tag but its fun. I defiantly agree that community is important and I got that right away from the people at church I fell in love with.
    A car is a must. No getting around that. Gass is expensive. Food is amazing. Infrastructure is very good. No hurricanes. No humidity. No mosquitos. No red ants. Its like the best of florida without the florida part.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    South Florida cheap!? You have to do double north & central Florida rent if you don't want bars on your windows.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't attempt this until your portfolio is at an industry level state, socializing with professionals won't get you far if you can't impress them with your work. I would say stay where you are, work on your art as much as possible, save as much money as you possibly can, and land some contract work in the industry so you at least know you're hirable before making such a move.

If you want to move somewhere with more studios but reasonable cost of living, think about Texas.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    and here i was thinking that £500 p/m mortgage for my 3 bedroom house with massive garden was too high =[

i feel so bad for some people.

My last place was £700 p/m plus council tax on top of that; and that was for a 2 bedroom flat. With a flatmate, but still :/

I'd say moving anywhere without work lined up is risky, but having never done it myself I'd feel weird about trying to sway you either way. If Cali is that expensive then there are plenty of other game hubs out there in the states, Austin jumps to mind.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    Check out Austin,
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If you want to move somewhere with more studios but reasonable cost of living, think about Texas.
    mazz423 wrote: »
    Austin jumps to mind.

He mentioned allergy problems, this isn't smoke it's pollen
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYcBnE-IPA[/ame]
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I imagine I'd have the same problems in Texas as I do in Georgia.

I'm browsing the companies in florida and there's a few surprises in there (wha? developers of dungeon defender are here in florida?), along with some other good/ok ones. None of which seem to be hiring but I'm not in any hurry yet.

Alternative places is rhode island and pittsburgh since I have family there. I'd need to check out what's out there too.

*Also for people mentioning cars I do have a car I would drive wherever location with*
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    There is even less options for you in Pittsburgh and Rhode Island - they might be cheaper, but there are fewer jobs there in games
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    There is even less options for you in Pittsburgh and Rhode Island - they might be cheaper, but there are fewer jobs there in games

Yeah I noticed :/
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    LA is expensive. I have a job out here in the industry, and if I didn't have my wife paying for half (and sometimes more than half) of the expenses, I'd be screwed.

Another thing, it's really hard to get friends in LA unless you go to events and stuff. It can feel really isolated sometimes, especially if you're used to having a group of people you enjoy being around, and you suddenly find yourself alone, with a few acquaintances you aren't crazy about, in a new city.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    If you are really determines to work in LA another possibly less expensive alternative is to live more inland and take the train to commute to work and back.

Cities like Azusa and Covina can be quite a bit cheaper and is only 30 minutes via train to Union Station granted you could also drive though the traffic would be extremely stressful and probably take at least an hour most days.

If you don't mind an hour or 2 on the train you could even find housing as far out as San Bernardino county/Inland Empire which is still developing and can be a bit less expensive. It's much less cramped but you probably won't get the LA networking with people that you would living in LA.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    As I agree with everyone that has been saying its expensive and tough to move without a job already. Focus on the port and get work before moving out. If you cant find work in games or just art in general, time to look at the portfolio and see what you can improve.

Also, So.Cal. in my opinion is yes more expensive that most areas, but its definitely manageable if you do not mind the commute as said above. Its really only stupid expensive due to the convenience of not dealing with 1+ hrs of traffic. if you do not mind the commute on a train or in traffic (traffic will slowly destroy your soul, trust me, especially if you drive manual), then you can prob find a decent living situation for 800-900/mo in just rent with a decent amount of space.

Like I said though, do not move out here with hopes that with a slightly bigger job market that you will magically get work. I am not trying to be a dick, I just want what is best for a fellow game dev. Don't make it harder on yourself with a fresh move, more expenses, etc, when you can achieve the same kind of preparation for a job in the industry right where you are.

That being said, I love So.Cal. and would be hard pressed to settle down anywhere else.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Traffic has gotten so bad in Austin that it takes me a whole 15 minutes to get to work now, HORRIBLE!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    In some places in LA, just getting 4 miles will take you about 40 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic.

Also have you guys been seeing some of the new laws that are hitting us in 2015? More taxes! In fact, theres another gas tax to make it even worse. I really cannot comprehend the thought process of those people creating policy in this state. Every year that goes by, the 6 State proposal seems far more enticing.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    None of which seem to be hiring but I'm not in any hurry yet.

Alternative places is rhode island and pittsburgh since I have family there. I'd need to check out what's out there too.
    no offense, but you're doing this backwards.

1. get job offers.
    2. take one of them.
    3. move to where it is.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no offense, but you're doing this backwards.

1. get job offers.
    2. take one of them.
    3. move to where it is.

Oh no i meant that purely as places to apply where it's easy for me to move.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would never worry about the location of a student when applying (except when outside of the country). That studio might be opening a new studio somewhere else, or they might give you an amazing relocation bonus, or you might found out you like the city and area more than you expected.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    As most people have stated, moving to a place where you have no immediate connections and hoping to land a job without a whole lot of experience to back it up is super risky. I know too many people (including my own brother) that have sat for months unemployed hoping to get a job in the industry only to be pushed back month after month waiting for contracts to go through or the business side of things to level out.

I can't speak for all of California but very recently I had to make the difficult decision to turn down a position because the cost of living (after doing some serious number crunching) was just too damned high moving from Texas to LA. (at least for my family). In the end it may have worked out, but most people I spoke with at the time mentioned they commuted 45min-2hrs to avoid paying astronomical amounts for rent. I've done the long commutes before and just couldn't surrender to a nearly 30-45% Cost of Living increase + the insane commutes.

The situation is definitely tricky. I would recommend Austin but the game industry has been so unstable here for the last year or so. Still, I love this city and it's a nice middle ground between some of the more expensive cities like LA and Seattle. You get a nice mix of music/art/entertainment here while still being able to afford a house if you ever want one.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    He mentioned allergy problems, this isn't smoke it's pollen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYcBnE-IPA

Yummy yummy cedar fever!

Speaking of Austin...
    If weather is a consideration. Austin feels like the Sun is somehow much closer to the earth and setting my shoulders on fire with heat.
    Seems like the same temperature in San Diego and LA is still a beautiful day.
    I do like the full effect of four seasons that u get in the northeast ( very literary ).
    But as I get older it is easier to acknowledge that the enjoyment in large part is relief after suffering. And I really start missing how the Pacific ocean can make every day a beautiful day.

Traveling...
    In general is adventure. Particularly if u r young and right out of college. Something very romantic about saying fuc it and leaving security and comfort for some reckless abandon! Got friends around the world and a couple books worth of adventures to carry me to a regret-less grave. ( on the downside I have dug some pretty terrifying holes and hit rock bottom couple of times as well... ) Fear never seems as bad in hindsight tho.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    I made the move to Laguna Niguel in South Orange County in 2004 to work for an arch viz company. I stayed at the same apartment the whole time and the rent started at $1025 per month and by the time I left 5 years later the rent was $1375 per month. I wasn't ready for getting my rent steadily increased, I was used to college town Indiana rent where it stays pretty even. Thankfully, as my rent increased so did my paycheck. I managed to make a pretty good living and save up quite a bit of money during my time.

Though I must say I was single the entire time. The only expenses I had were mine and mine alone save the occasional spout of dating. I didn't care for the $18 per can of PBR scene and I rarely ate out at hyper expensive trendy places.

Gas was the big expensive ticket, but due to a stroke of luck the company I was working for moved to a new building just a few miles from where I was living so I could walk/bike to work. We also had a lot of people who lived farther away to save on rent but failed to see the expense that a long commute added. Gas + wear and tear on your car ended up costing more than they were saving on living costs. Plus the emotional wear and tear of bumper to bumper freeway traffic twice daily.

Now that I am married and have a family, there is no way we could afford to live in that area.

My take on it is this. Go for it (once you have a job secured). Even if you move there and end up moving back a year or two later, you have the experience. Don't ever be that guy sitting in your local bar 20 years from now going, "I coulda moved to California (or wherever)". While Cali was expensive and full of nuts and fruits, I loved every second of it and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After going to the global game jam in orlando a lot of the people I worked with seemed to have projects going (and invited me to help with pay) so I'm think there's a decent indie scene there plus some other stuff so I figure I'll move there for some time and see how it goes.

Hopefully my current job will let me transfer :O
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Yea it might depend on what kind of person you are. If you have money to make the move, and the pressure of not having a job and steady income motivates you to keep busting your ass and work on your portfolio (like 12-16 hour days), then maybe consider it. When I went to school, not having an extra job or savings to fall back on motivated me to work harder, but for other people it might be too much stress to deal with. I find if I get too comfortable I'll start playing video games and stuff instead of doing work at home. I'm sure you can make moving to California work if you really wanted it, and other people have moved and been successful, like dustin, but that depends on you.

I guess what I'm saying is don't get too comfortable, stay hungry. If you're just chilling in Florida, hoping to "eventually" get a job, time to shake it up. Whether that means moving or making other changes is up to you.