Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Glory or... not.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
GreenBeams polycounter lvl 5
Hello there!

I'm really trying to get good enough to go freelance with environment and props and i'd love to do it in the hand painted style.

With that in mind, i'm going to try and paint this house (model based on original concept by Arthur Gimaldinov) using tileable and unique textures.

Please, PLEASE help if you can and weigh in to point out where it's not working or thoughts or theories or crits or comments or anything, really. I want to get better and i'm willing to do the work and rework.

OK, so this is where i'm starting:

Mesh_1.JPG
Mesh_2.JPG
Mesh_3.JPG

Mesh_4.JPG

Replies

• Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I think it's fantastic so far! Looking forward to seeing it textured.
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp - Thanks very much! I just hope that it'll look alright when it's done =)

I've made a repeating texture for the wooden siding/slats and feel like it's ok but it doesn't look like anything special. I started by painting a straight wood texture nd then overlayed that over a line drawing of the slats.

Hope you guys can see it ok:

wiling_woodenSlats.png

Siding_1.png

Like i say, any help or crits would be excellent, please =) Thanks for looking!
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I think the pieces on the roof are not nessessary. Better invest the Polys in a interesting roof silhouette.Your walls are nice but in contrast you roof very plain, look at the concept roof edges.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Word of warning, when you're switching to highlights, shadows, midtones, etc, do NOT just change the value(i.e. add more black or white). You'll end up with very flat looking, "dead" textures. You need to also change hues (ever so slightly, though I encourage to do so by a big step to see the difference clearly).

General rule of thumb, if it's in light, colors get warmer (edges towards red's vicinty). If it goes into the shadow, cooler (edges towards blue's vicinity). This is a general rule of thumb, feel free to play around with it for other effect.
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cibo - Thanks for commenting! I've removed the extra pieces on the roof and that alone has saved around 500 polys! I'm going to have a look at the roof shape later on today too. =)

@JadeEyePanda - Thanks very much for the guidance! I messed around with the colours a bit and have come up with this new update. I know that the highlights are going towards Cyan and the Shadows are goind towards deeper blue but it felt really weird when then highlights were going towards like a red/violet kind of thing. That could well be my own undeveloped eye, though. Please let me know what you think!

New Texture:
    Tiling_WoodenSlats_3.png

Text_Slats_front_2.JPG

Text_Slats_left_2.JPG
    Text_Slats_back_2.JPG
    Text_Slats_right_2.JPG
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    You should block out the rest of your meshes with solid colors so that you can make sure the texture colors are correct.

Right now it looks like the paneling is more blue than in the concept
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Cool idea man !
    nice silhouettes you have in your first post.
    The birds are a great touch.

What are your plans for the terrain/ground ?
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    @AtticusMars - Excellent idea, thanks! I'm more partial to the blue colour than the sort of greenish that's in the concept but you're totally right: if i don't block out the colours, i'll only have to repaint them again if everything turns out to be blue xD

@Mistry - Thanks very much! I think i'm going to sculpt a ground plain roughly and put some grass cards in. Beyond that i think it'll be more a photoshop jobby kind of thing.
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the gap in updates =) Here's where i'm up to at the minute:

1_house_1.PNG
    1_house_2.PNG
    1_house_3.PNG
    1_house_4.PNG

I feel like the wooden walls and the roof isn't gelling together and i'm not siure why. I've tried working it at different values and colours but they still seem to clash.

I'm aware that my colours are different to the concept but i'm not a fan of the sort of washed out green on the walls. Maybe that's why it looks weird?

Any crits or help would be great, thanks!

All the best!
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    its a contrast issue between the roof and the walls rather than a colour one - the blacks are much more black and much more promenant in the roof tiles. Remember if this is to be used with PBR shaders, that AO should not be baked into your base texture!
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much for the help, Chimp!

I started the roof tiles from black and painted them from dark to light. Now you've said about the contrast, it's totally obvious i started too dark! I think maybe in future starting the whole thing with a base colour and base value which is either it's darkest or mid tone and then just paint from there.

I''ll bugger about with the levels and then do a paint over on the roof tiles.

Thanks again for helping =)
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    OK so i think you need to hold off for the texturing at the mo, i can see some things that need to be changed in the model. Here are some lines i roughly drew over your image, i also scaled it in vertically because i think your model is too 'long'. I would go back make some changes to the silhouette, thicken up some things like windows, beams, stairs etc to make it chunkier. Then put some flat colours onto all of your model. Don't worry about texture details, you need to get the base colour right first. Make sure this is unlit material/viewport. Post that up and then it will be easier to see where to go from there :)

rtdVpvt.jpg
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like a nice project!
    You are missing the underside/the thickness on your boards and maybe on the shingles, too. (Talking about the textures, now.)
    Aside from the contrast, the sense of scale is off, too. It looks like you made the boards smaller for your latest shots, departing from the illustrative look of the concept. (If anything, I'd scale some of the boards up, compared to the concept.)
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, FemCharles =)

I've changed the model to the current point but i feel like any more distortion around the roof won't work at any other angle than the concept art.

Here is the model:
    newModel_1.png

and i turned the lights off and applied ase colours over the different parts. There are 3 repeating textures (Roof Tiles, Chimney Stone and Wooden Siding) and 3 UV sheets. Here it is so far:

3_house_1.PNG
    3_house_2.PNG
    3_house_3.PNG
    3_house_4.PNG

@Noren - i think you're right about the scale on the siding and will re-bigg'en it the next time xD Also, yes, in my efforts to lighten the contrast on the wood, i must have blown out the underside to the slats themselves. Definitely will watch that next time. Thanks very much for commenting!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Excellent. Ok so iv done a second paint over. I don't know if you adjusted the scale vertically like i mentioned last time, it looks too stretched in the Y axis to me. Also the roof above the door feels to narrow?

I see that your using tiling textures, have you thought about doing it one to one? I think you will get nicer results and you will be able to pick out details and edges.

Iv adjusted the colours, so the wood paneling in the middle is more saturated and lighter, (you may think this is too bright but once you've got an AO over this should balance out.)

The other bits of wood are a warmer colour, The roof is a tad more blue. Iv also adjusted the colour on the doors / windows.

Iv painted in some bits that help the silhouette, like roof tiles around the edge, some brick work at the top.

I hope this helps, be nice to see it now with an AO bake over the top.

90YEMDh.jpg
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for sticking with me through this, FemCharles!

Made a few more alterations to the model (it has been en-squish-ened!), i've also gone, like you said, to UV 1 to 1 instead of tiling.

I've added a few suuuper simple gradients just as a tester but, here's what's kicking me in the fork: i can't seem to work out how to get multiple UV coordinate AO bakes. I tend to just get one and the rest of the sheets are jet black. Any help with that would be excellent!

If that proves to be too much of a clart on, i could always just paint them in by hand instead.

All the best and, as usual, thanks for comments and crits and help and everything.

4_house_1.PNG
    4_house_2.PNG
    4_house_3.PNG
    4_house_4.PNG
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Proportion wise that feels much nicer.

Are you using Maya? Usually when i do AO bakes i duplcate the whole model, making sure its all one mesh, make sure everything is in the UV 1 to 1 space and not outside. Make sure there is no overlapping UV's, so say if you have a windows that are using the same uv, only bake down one of them, separate the others from the main mesh. Also put a plane underneath the model (raise the model slightly). Then try a bake. Hope that helps :)
  • \\BlkOps
    Good work Green Beams! The project is really developing and you're good at taking feedback as well.

I like your textures, but the work you put into achieving the hand painted look doesn't really come through in those images of the house. The detail gets lost with scale. You might want to consider how far away the viewer will be/how big the image will be/how many times the texture will be repeated so you can get the most out of your effort in your final renders.

You can also get more of a handcrafted look by getting rid of those last remaining 90° angles on the model.

I can see you have a bit of a scary haunted vibe going on there. The colours you're using suit that, but you might find a bit of warmth here and there help you maintain visual interest. Some scraped off paint on edges, dirt and cobwebs could help as well - but those are finishing touches.

Look forward to seeing the final!
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Nice progress so far! The model is looking a lot more dynamic already.
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    @FemCharles - Thanks! TBH, this is getting to a problem i thought i could get round in the painting stage but i'm going to have to just sack up and redo the UVSheets. One has all the wood on it in one texture and i thought that would be ok at the start. It's obvious now that if this is to look any good the wood needs to be split up into the different lighting areas. This experience is teaching me to go with my gut and just get those things done at the start!

So, i'll redo the UV's in Maya, bake out AO and then post up here when it's finally at that stage =) How many sheets is average for a project like this? At the minute, there're 5 UV Sheets.

@\\BlkOps - Thanks very much for helping out :) It's becoming clear to me when i'm studying people like Jessica Dinh's work that environment needs to be a whole picture/scene. I've got to convice the audience they're walking through a cartoony landscape and that'll come down exactly what you said - seeing where the house is in the scene, where it's viewed from and any other set dressing i apply. At the minute i'm also looking at matte paintings for the background and other props. Thanks again for the commments

@Sebeuroc - Thanks very much!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    I would personally do the whole thing on 1 sheet 2k texture. Be smart with your UV's. You can reuse a lot, such as mirroring the roof. If you are unsure you can always post your uv's up explaining which bits are using the same UV space. Don't worry about the uv too much, it doesn to be set in stone. I often re uv stuff and then just transfer the diffuse map to my new uv's :)
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back!

The UV's have been redone and all reduced down to 1x4k sheet! The plan is to paint it at 4k and scale down to 2k for the finished texture. I've baked out an AO for that sheet and am going to use it as a guide to paint in some coooler-coloured AO of my own. In the images, the green pieces are repeatable geometry. Any help, crits or comments are always welcome =)

Oh, i just want to say thanks again, FemCharles. Without that crit i woiuld've left the UVs as they were and unltimately the project would have suffered. Not now though, they're all on one sheet, woohoo!

5_house_1.PNG
    5_house_2.PNG
    5_house_3.PNG
    5_house_4.PNG

And this is the UV sheet scaled down to 1k:

House_1k_UVs.png
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Excellent. This is starting to go along the right lines.
    I still think your UV's could be much more efficient. If you straighten your uv edges it is a lot easier to fit it all together without wasting much space. Even organic things i tend to straightened off as much edges as possible.

But if you have started texturing or want to continue texturing, don't worry too much because as i said you can duplicate your model, create new uv and then just transfer your texture to the model with the new UV's.

Also when baking any maps, such as an AO, colourise it to pump some colour in or else your model texture will end up looking a bit dull!

I look forward to the update :)
  • GreenBeams
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the delay in updates. I'm in the process of emmigrating and it's a lot of hurry up and wait.

OK, so, i'm trying not to get disheartened by my painting efforts on the stone. Some turned out ok and other turned out, well.... drunk, lazy 4 year old springs to mind. My grasp of colour seems to fly in the face of everything done so far so i'd really appreciate a slap of knowledge to get me back on track =)

Please ignore the rest of the texture for now; it's just there as a base to paint over. And thanks for all the help and patience so far in this.

6_house_1.PNG
    6_house_2.PNG
    6_house_3.PNG
    6_house_4.PNG
  • artofkee
    Nice! I like the tiled roof
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    oh i wondered what happened to this! I am glad to see your still working on it.

Currently i think the stone too uniform in colour and lacks highlights, shadows and details.

I assume you've hand painted it from scratch, have you thought about doing a high poly sculpt and using some maps to start as a base for your hand painting process? You might find it easier.

Keep at it dude!