Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Ender's Game Scene

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jarran polycounter lvl 11
Hey there :) I'm working on the end scene in the Command School from Ender's Game for a university project and wondered if you people would be able to offer me any advice. Here are the two 'beauty shots' I'm working on.
IHQJaYW.png
MQk3v3B.png

Screens + Holograms in the center are definitely WIP. Many other things need tweaking but I've been staring at it for that long I'm not sure what to change anymore, so please tell me what problems etc you see! Anything at all, composition and stuff included. Thanks in advance

Replies

• Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o4zONPC.jpg
    aWkSpjh.png
    Update with the lighting pushed a little more
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to change it up a bit to match concept work better... a lot of stress but i'm glad i did :)
    drAnnx6.jpg

IiUkc4z.jpg
  • Shad0w_Walker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you post a picture that shows the unlit scene?

IMO it's too dark.
    I would add some ambient lights with a blueish color.

Cheers ;)
  • polytom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Your images are way too dark and way too big dude...
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry i'll resize em for next time!

I've been struggling with the level of dark but thought I'd finally got it somewhere where it read okay but nevermind I'll add a little more lighting! thanks :)
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the unlit scene. It's a bit of a mess as I only decided to make the cave bigger monday and my deadline is tomorrow, panic mode!

antOwBN.png
  • BackedUp20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your deadline is tomorrow then I would focus on lighting. It started off too evenly lit and adding the orange light helped but you can't see it in your first shot at all. I think you did a really good job with the cave pieces. It's a shame you can't see them better. Have you thought about moving up your subtle fog effect to help with the atmosphere near the bridge?

If you decide to keep working on this piece after your deadline I would suggest adding some more small and medium sized details. You have a lot of large shapes with a tiling cement type texture. You can add things like grating, small light fixtures, wires, power boxes.

So far this is my favorite shot:

IiUkc4z.jpg
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hadn't thought of playing with the fog I'm gonna have a go at that now. I've edited that shot and tried to bring in lighting everywhere else while still having heavy contrast. I agree about the orange not coming through in the first shot, I hadn't thought of that either! very helpful thankyou

I'm hoping to carry on working on it if i find the time, I'm awful with anything you mentioned because I'm generally terrible with hard surface so i focused more on the cave and atmosphere on this one but I'd love to continue.

Here it is atm :) nonstop work for tomorrow!

jhREAs0.png

RFdZ4xy.png
    Seems like i've gone a bit backwards now I think about it, I'll have to try add the bright lighting back in
  • BackedUp20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to be good at hard surface modeling to add in some small detail. A grate can be a cube with a texture of lines on it for example, as long as it isn't seen close up. It will really help break up that tiling texture.
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added something similar on the side of the main building, its just a plane with a tiling texture with another plane using a rotating fan behind.
    I'll definitely look into it though, maybe today if I have time. The concrete is a bit dull as it is haha